This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Illinois Director of Agriculture|
|Assumed office |
|Preceded by||Phil Nelson|
|Member of the Illinois House of Representatives|
from the 99th district
January 1995 – November 2015
|Preceded by||Vickie M. Moseley|
|Succeeded by||Sara Wojcicki Jimenez|
|Born||March 26, 1944|
Raymond Poe (born March 26, 1944) is an American politician. He is a former Republican member of the Illinois House of Representatives, representing the 99th district from 1995 until 2015. He served as the minority spokesman on the House Personnel and Pensions Committee. In November 2015, he resigned his seat after he was appointed Director of the Illinois Department of Agriculture. He retired as Director on December 31, 2018.
Raymond Poe was the first person to announce his candidacy for lieutenant governor in the 2006 race. However, the field got more crowded, with many candidates for Governor having picked running mates. He realized his chances of winning the Republican primary were slim. In December 2005, Illinois Senator Steve Rauschenberger ended his bid for Governor, choosing instead to run for Lieutenant Governor on a team with Ron Gidwitz, right after which Poe withdrew his candidacy to instead seek a 6th House term.
Poe was involved in many committees that supported agriculture such as Agriculture and Conservation as well as Higher education appropriations.
"Poe stayed very active in his profession, going to many fairs including the Illinois State fair". (Raymond Poe, Illinois Department of Agriculture Director).
Poe received help with campaign finance from many different people. The top contributor to Poe's campaign was the Illinois Education Association. The Illinois beef association donated as well.
- Tribune, Chicago. "MORE ILLINOIS HOUSE ENDORSEMENTS". chicagotribune.com.
- "Capitol Fax.com - Your Illinois News Radar » This just in… Poe gets Ag". capitolfax.com.
- Schoenburg, Bernard (2018-12-24). "Illinois Ag director Raymond Poe ready to enjoy retirement". The State Journal-Register. Retrieved 2019-04-01.
- "State Rep. Raymond Poe named IL ag director". farmweeknow.com. Retrieved 2019-05-09.
- "Raymond Poe Named State Ag Director". Illinois Public Media. 2015-11-17. Retrieved 2019-05-09.
- "Member Spotlight: Raymond Poe, Illinois Department of Agriculture Director". www.nasda.org. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- "The Voter's Self Defense System". Vote Smart. Retrieved 2019-05-08.
- Representative Raymond Poe (R) 99th District at the Illinois General Assembly
- Profile at Vote Smart
- Raymond Poe at Illinois House Republican Caucus
|This article about an Illinois politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|