27 October 1994 |
|Height||6 ft 4 in (193 cm)|
|Weight||219 lb (99 kg; 15 st 9 lb)|
|NHL Draft||8th overall, 2013
Rasmus Ristolainen (born 27 October 1994) is a Finnish professional ice hockey defenceman currently playing for the Buffalo Sabres of the National Hockey League (NHL). He was selected eighth overall by the Sabres at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
Ristolainen made his NHL debut with the Buffalo Sabres on the opening night of the 2013–14 season, 2 October 2013, against the Detroit Red Wings. He scored his first career NHL goal later in the month, on 25 October, against Jacob Markström of the Florida Panthers. On 5 January 2014, Ristolainen scored the overtime winner in the final of the 2014 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships against previously undefeated Sweden, giving Finland the gold medal. He scored his first NHL hat-trick on 10 December 2015 against the Calgary Flames. He was the first Sabres' defenseman to score a hat trick since the Hockey Hall of Famer Phil Housley in the 1987–88 season.
On March 21, 2017, Ristolainen delivered a check to Pittsburgh Penguins forward Jake Guentzel. Guentzel suffered a concussion on the play, and Ristolainen was given a three-game suspension for interference by the league.
Regular season and playoffs
|World Junior Championships|
- "Sabres select Finnish defenseman Rasmus Ristolainen AKA "the Finnish Hammer" with their first pick in NHL draft". Buffalo News. 30 June 2013. Archived from the original on 4 July 2013. Retrieved 30 June 2013.
- Ryndak, Chris (June 30, 2013). "2013 NHL DRAFT". NHL.com. Buffalo Sabres. Retrieved December 4, 2017.
- Cuthbert, Justin (2015-12-11). "Ristolainen scores 1st career hat trick; emerging as elite young D-man". thescore.com. The Score. Retrieved 2015-12-11.
- Goldberg, Rob (March 23, 2017). "Rasmus Ristolainen Suspended 3 Games for Hit on Penguins Forward Jake Guentzel". bleacherreport.com. Bleacher Report. Retrieved 12 September 2017.
- Biographical information and career statistics from NHL.com, or Eliteprospects.com, or The Internet Hockey Database
|Buffalo Sabres first round draft pick
|This biographical article relating to ice hockey in Finland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|