The rank insignia system of the Indonesian Scouting movement Gerakan Pramuka is by and large militarized in traditions and outfit.
Much is left to the traditions of specific groups. Some of them do not grant some of the ranks to its members, while others name them differently; the very look of the insignia may differ from group to group.
Tanda Kecakapan Khusus (TKK) are merit badge awards earned by youth members of the Gerakan Pramuka organization, based on activities within an area of study by completing Special Skills Requirements (SSR/SKK). Some special TKK are also required in order to achieve the Eagle Scout award. Members who have earned more than five merit badges display them on a sash which may be optionally worn diagonally across the front of the Boy Scout uniform from right side to left side. Sashes are usually only worn for ceremonial occasions.
- For the lowest level, called Purwa, merit badges are in the shape of a circle
- For the medium level, called Madya, merit badges are in the shape of a square
- For the highest level, called Utama, merit badges are in the shape of a pentagon
Based on the background color, TKK can be divided into 5 groups where each color represents special areas of interest. The image of TKK represents the subject of interest. The pictures are standard from the National Council. For Cub Scout level there is only one level of TKK, and does not have as many choices of merit badge (Note: cub Scout Merit Badges showed above, which have a triangle shape).
- Group 1
- Background Color: Yellow
- Area of Interest: Religion
- Group 2
- Background Color: Blue
- Area of Interest: Social Service, Peace campaign, communication.
- Group 3
- Background color: Green
- Area of Interest: Special Abilities, Hobbies, Survival abilities.
- Group 4
- Background color: White
- Area of Interest: Physical Abilities
- Group 5
- Background Color: Red
- Area of Interest: Culture, Housekeeping, Music, Art .
Penegak Bantara is the first official level after a member obtains their orientation and transition from Penggalang to Penegak. Bantara level can be obtained after completing the general basic skills for Penegak or Rover level in SKU (general requirement). The shoulder loop for Bantara is almost the same as the Penegak Laksana. The difference is the word BANTARA written on it. The official welcome ceremony for a new Bantara, often called Upacara Adat Ambalan (customary law ceremony) involves a senior and instructor holding a campout for two nights. During this campout the cadet will be inducted as a Bantara.
Penegak Laksana is a level after Penegak Bantara in Penegak age group. A Scout can earn this level after they fulfill requirements from the Penegak/Rover Handbook. One can be easily identified as Penegak Laksana by the shoulder loop on his/her uniform. The difference between the Bantara and Laksana shoulder loop is the word written on it. The color and sign is the same between Bantara and Laksana. In Penegak group, the only shoulder loop that looks different is the CARA (Calon Bantara) or Bantara Cadet, where the logo is not the Tunas Kelapa (coconut sprout), but the kujang, an Indonesian traditional weapon, from West Java), and the word written: CARA (Calon Bantara) or Bantara Cadet.
Pramuka Garuda is the highest rank in each age group for Scouts in Gerakan Pramuka for those Scouts who can fulfill the qualifications. Garuda Scouts are expected to set an example for other Scouts. They are expected to become the leaders in life that they have demonstrated themselves to be in Scouting. Garuda is a mythical bird in many Asian countries.
Pramuka Garuda was created in 1980 with purpose of stimulating interest in youth to join Gerakan Pramuka. The Pramuka Garuda rank is based on the decree of Pramuka Garuda by the National Council No:045 for 1980. In 1984, the decree was revised, and replaced by the decree No:101 for 1984.
A Scout who wants to earn the Garuda Scout rank has to be qualified for all requirements stated by National Council in the decree. The Garuda Scout requirement is different for each age group. For instance, the requirements for Garuda Scout in siaga/Cub Scouts will differ from the requirements from Penegak Rover Scout.
Requirements for Cub Scout
- Be a good example at pack, home, school, or in his/her community, based on the Dwisatya (oath) and Dwidarma (pledge)
- He/she has finished "siaga tata" (First Class Cub) rank requirements
- Has earned the merit badge for cub level, at least he/she earned six badges from three different categories
- Can demonstrate and show his/her handcrafts, at least nine different handcrafts made from at least three kinds of materials
- Has participated in the Cub Scouts jamboree at least twice, either at the province or national level
- Can prove himself/herself as a lifesaver
- Can perform a kind of art, dance or other traditional fine art