Aronson-Rath at the 70th Annual Peabody Awards
|Title||Executive Producer, Frontline|
Raney Aronson-Rath produces Frontline, PBS's flagship investigative journalism series. She has been internationally recognized for her work to expand the PBS series' original investigative journalism and directs the editorial development and execution of the series. Aronson-Rath joined Frontline in 2007 as a senior producer. She was named deputy executive producer by David Fanning, the series’ founder, in 2012, and then became executive producer in 2015.
Early in her professional life, Aronson-Rath worked for a small, English-language daily newspaper The China Post in Taipei, Taiwan where she decided to commit to a career in journalism. Before joining Frontline in 2007, Aronson-Rath developed and managed more than a dozen journalistic partnerships with news outlets including ProPublica, PBS Marketplace, PBS NewsHour, The New York Times, CBC Television and Univision.
Before helping to manage the series, Aronson-Rath produced, directed and wrote several award-winning Frontline films, including News War, The Last Abortion Clinic and The Jesus Factor. Prior to joining Frontline, she worked on award-winning series at ABC News, The Wall Street Journal and MSNBC. In 2012, Aronson-Rath was named Deputy Editor of Frontline by David Fanning and Executive Producer in 2015 the position she holds today. She has earned new funding to expand Frontline’s investigative capacity, including the launch of a YouTube channel with original content, a commitment to interactive projects as well as a film initiative focused on accountability for institutions and public officials called the Transparency Project.
Aronson-Rath currently serves on the Knight Commission on Trust, Media, and Democracy, the Board of Visitors for Columbia University’s Journalism school, and the Advisory Board of Columbia Global Reports.
Awards and honors
Aronson-Rath was a 2014-2015 Fellow at the MIT Open Doc Lab. Aronson-Rath has been a speaker at the Skoll World Forum, the Aspens Ideas Summit, The National Scholastic Press Association's High School Journalism Convention, the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism and The Power of Narrative Journalism Conference.
Since 2015, Frontline has won many accolades under her direction, including The Alfred I. duPont – Columbia University Award, IRE Awards, The George Foster Peabody Award, Peabody-Facebook Futures of Media Award, The Alfred I. duPont – Columbia University Award, The National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences Emmy Award, The Robert F. Kennedy Journalism Award, The Overseas Press Club Awards, The Scripps Howard Award, and Writer’s Guild Awards, and the 2019 dupont-Columbia Gold Baton award, among others.
- "'Frontline' Getting a Change in Leadership". The New York Times. 14 May 2015.
- "Frontline Welcomes New Class to Frontline Columbia School of Journalism Fellows".
- April Simpson (May 30, 2017). "Raney Aronson-Rath: It's in my DNA to get to the Nuanced Truth".
- "'Frontline' Getting a Change in Leadership". The New York Times. May 13, 2015. Retrieved 2015-07-20.
- Mike Kiniry (March 14, 2018). "Frontline Executive Producer Raney Aronson-Rath".
- "PBS Official Frontline Youtube Channel".
- "About Frontline's Transparency Project".
- "Columbia Global Reports Advisory Board".
- "Virtual Reality Meets Documentary". 2016-05-13.
- "Raney Aronson-Rath Biography".
- "Raney Aronson-Rath Speaker Bio".
- "About the Power of Narrative".
- "FRONTLINE: United States of Secrets".
- Lyn Trahn (May 1, 2016). "Peabody Awards and Facebook Launch New Futures of Media Award".
- Valerie Miller (2016-03-08). "2015 Scripps Howard Winners Announced".
- Gregg Mitchell. "2017 Writers Guild Awards Winners Announced".
- "Winners of the 2019 dupont-Columbia Awards".