|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|ISO 3166 code||ISO 3166-2:IN|
Nadia district is part of the large alluvial plain formed by the Ganges-Bhagirathi system. The plains spread southwards from the head of the delta. The Ranaghat subdivision has the Bhagirathi on the west, with Purba Bardhaman and Hooghly districts lying across the river. Topographically, Ranaghat subdivision is spread across the Krishnanagar-Santipur Plain, which occupies the central part of the district, and the Ranaghat-Chakdaha Plain, the low lying area found in the south-eastern part of the district. The Churni separates the two plains. The area slopes southwards. A portion of the east forms the boundary with Bangladesh. The area had large forests. The huge influx of East Bengali refugees that took place in the district immediately after the partition of India and the steady influx ever since paved way for conversion of forest into agricultural land.
Nadia district is divided into the following administrative subdivisions:
Ranaghat subdivision has 6 police stations, 4 community development blocks, 4 panchayat samitis, 47 gram panchayats, 327 mouzas, 293 inhabited villages 3 municipalities, 2 notified areas, 23 census towns and 5 outgrowth. The municipalities are: Ranaghat, Santipur and Birnagar. The notified areas are: Taherpur and Cooper’s Camp. The census towns are: Nrisinghapur, Harinadibhastsala, Ghoralia, Beharia, Phulia, Bagula, Badkulla, Patuli, Gangni, Kamgachhi, Raghabpur, Panpara, Aistala, Satigachha, Anulia, Gopalpur, Parbbatipur, Halalpur Krishnapur, Hijuli, Ranaghat, Nasra, Gangnapur and Belgharia.Outgrowths around Ranaghat are: Taherpur (Ward No. 14), Barasat (Ward No, 15), Bhaduri (Ward No. 16), Mahisdanga (Ward No.17) and Magurkhali (Ward No. 13).
|Police station||Area covered
|Municipal town||CD Block|
|Ranaghat, Taherpur||250+154.74||-||Ranaghat, Birnagar, Taherpur||Ranaghat I|
|Dhantala, Gangnapur||206+102||12||Cooper's Camp||Ranaghat II|
|SC %||ST %||Hindus %||Muslims %||Literacy
Hanskhali block consists of 13 gram panchayats, viz. Bagula;I, Betna Gobindapur, Mamjoan, Ramnagar Barachupria;I, Bagula;II, Dakshinpara&;I, Mayurhat;I, Batkulla;I, Dakshinpara;II, Mayurhat;II, Ramnagar Barachupria;II, Batkulla;II and Gajna.
Santipur block consists of ten gram panchayats, viz. Arbandi–I, Baganchra, Fulia Township, Nabla, Arbandi–II, Belgoria–I, Gayeshpur, Babla, Belgoria–II and Haripur.
Ranaghat I block consists of ten gram panchayats, viz. Anulia, Kalinarayanpur Paharpur, Nawpara Masunda, Ramnagar–II, Barasat, Payradanga, Tarapur, Habibpur, Khisma and Ramnagar–I.
Ranaghat II block consists of 14 gram panchayats, viz. Anishmali, Baidyapur–II, Kamalpur, Raghunathpur Hijuli–II, Aranghata, Debagram, Majhergram, Bahirgachi, Duttafulia, Nokari, Raghunathpur Hijuli–I, Baidyapur–I, Jugalkishore and Shyamnagar.
Nadia district had a literacy rate of 74.97% as per the provisional figures of the census of India 2011. Tehatta subdivision had a literacy rate of 67.25%, Krishnanagar Sadar subdivision 71.03%, Ranaghat subdivision 79.51% and Kalyani subdivision 83.35%.
Given in the table below (data in numbers) is a comprehensive picture of the education scenario in Nadia district for the year 2013-14:
Note: Primary schools include junior basic schools; middle schools, high schools and higher secondary schools include madrasahs; technical schools include junior technical schools, junior government polytechnics, industrial technical institutes, industrial training centres, nursing training institutes etc.; technical and professional colleges include engineering colleges, medical colleges, para-medical institutes, management colleges, teachers training and nursing training colleges, law colleges, art colleges, music colleges etc. Special and non-formal education centres include sishu siksha kendras, madhyamik siksha kendras, centres of Rabindra mukta vidyalaya, recognised Sanskrit tols, institutions for the blind and other handicapped persons, Anganwadi centres, reformatory schools etc.
The following institutions are located in Ranaghat subdivision:
- Ranaghat College was established at Ranaghat in 1950. Affiliated to the University of Kalyani, it offers undergraduate courses in arts, science and commerce. It has facilities for teaching MA in Bengali.
- Santipur College was established at Santipur in 1948. It came up with the initiative of Pandit Lakshmi Kanta Maitra. Affiliated to the University of Kalyani, it offers honours courses in Bengali, English, Sanskrit, history, philosophy, political science, physics, chemistry, mathematics, botany, accountancy and computer applications.
- Pritilata Waddedar Mahavidyalaya was established at Panikhali in 2007. It was founded as a women’s college but later became co-educational. It is a government aided general degree college.
- Srikrishna College was established at Bagula in 1952.Affiliated to the University of Kalyani, it offers honours courses in Bengali, English, Sanskrit, history, geography, political science, philosophy, economics, education, physics, chemistry, mathematics and accountancy.
The table below (all data in numbers) presents an overview of the medical facilities available and patients treated in the hospitals, health centres and sub-centres in 2014 in Nadia district.
|Subdivision||Health & Family Welfare Deptt, WB||Other
.* Excluding nursing homes
Hospitals in Ranaghat subdivision: (Name, location, beds)
Ranaghat Subdivisional Hospital, Anulia, 171 beds
Santipur State General Hospital, Santipur, 131 beds
Coopers' P.L. Home and Hospital, Cooper's Camp, 30 beds
Rural Hospitals: (Name, block, location, beds) 
Bagula Rural Hospital, Hanskhali CD Block, Bagula, 30 beds
Habibpur (Jadhav Dutta) Rural Hospital, Ranaghat I CD Block, Habibpur, 30 beds
Aranghata Rural Hospital, Ranaghat II CD Block, Aranghata, 30 beds
Nabla (Fulia) Block Primary Health Centre, Santipur CD Block, Fulia Colony, 10 beds
Primary Health Centres (CD Block-wise)(CD Block, PHC location, beds)
Santipur CD Block: Arbandhi (10 beds), Baganchora (10 beds), Gayeshpur (10 beds)
Hanskhali CD Block: Badkulla (10 beds), Ramnagar (6 beds), Hanskhali (6 beds), Dakshinpara (10 beds)
Ranaghat I CD Block: Paschim Noapara Bhabasundari (10 beds), Paharpur (6 beds), Taherpur (6 beds).
Ranaghat II CD Block: Duttapulia (10 beds), Gangnapur (4 beds), Kamalpur (4 beds), Gangsara (4 beds)
|Lok Sabha constituency||Reservation||Vidhan Sabha constituency||Reservation||CD Block and/or Gram panchayats and/or municipal areas|
|Ranaghat||Reserved for SC||Krishnaganj||Reserved for SC||Krishnaganj* community development block, and Badkulla-I, Badkulla-II, Betna Gobindapur, Dakshin Para I, Dakshin Para II, Gajna, Mayurhat I and Mayurhat II gram panchayats of Hanskhali CD Block|
|Nabadwip||None||Nabadwip municipality*, Nabadwip* CD Block, and Bhaluka and Joania GPs of Krishnanagar I* CD Block|
|.* Krishnaganj, Nabadwip and Krishnanagar I are in Krishnanagar Sadar subdivision|
|Santipur||None||Shantipur municipality, and Babla, Baganchra, Belgoria I, Belgoria II Gayeshpur and Haripur GPs of Santipur CD Block|
|Ranaghat Uttar Paschim||None||Ranaghat municipality, Taherpur notified area, Birnagar municipality, and Ramnagar I, Barasat, Kalinarayanpur-Paharpur and Khisma GPs of Ranaghat I CD Block, and Arbandi I, and Arbandi II GPs of Santipur CD Block, and Fulia Township|
|Ranaghat Dakshin||Reserved for SC||Anishmali, Baidyapur I, Baidyapur II, Debagram, Majher Gram, Nokari, Raghunathpur Hijuli I and Shyamnagar GPs of Ranaghat II CD Block, Anulia, Habibpur, Nawpara Masunda, Payradanga, Ramnagar II and Tarapur GPs of Ranaghat I CD Block and Cooper's Camp notified area.|
|Ranaghhat Uttar Purba||Reserved for SC||Aranghata, Bahirgachhi, Duttapulia, Jugalkishore, Kamalpur and Raghunathpur Hijuli II gram panchayats of Ranaghat II CD Block, and Bagula I, Bagula II, Mamjoan, Ramnagar Bara Chupria I and Ramnagar Bara Chupria II GPs of Hanskhali CD Block|
|Chakdaha**||None||Chakdaha municipality, and Chanduria I, Dubra, Ghetugachhi, Rautari, Silinda I, Silinda II, Tatla Iand Tatla II gram panchayats of Chakdaha CD Block|
|.** Chakdaha is in Kalyani subdivision|
- "District Census Handbook, Nadia, 2011, Series 20, Part XII A" (PDF). Pages 13,14. Directorate of Census Operations, West Bengal. Retrieved 28 May 2017.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Nadia". Table 2.2, 2.4(a). Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Archived from the original on 29 July 2017. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Nadia". Table 2.1. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Archived from the original on 29 July 2017. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- "C.D. Block Wise Primary Census Abstract Data(PCA)". West Bengal – District-wise CD Blocks. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- "Directory of District, Subdivision, Panchayat Samiti/ Block and Gram Panchayats in West Bengal". Bardhaman - Revised in March 2008. Panchayats and Rural Development Department, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Nadia". Tables 2.1, 2.2. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Archived from the original on 29 July 2017. Retrieved 17 May 2017.
- "Nadia District Police". Police Unit. West Bengal Police. Retrieved 17 May 2017.
- "C.D. Block Wise Primary Census Abstract Data(PCA)". 2011 census: West Bengal – District-wise CD Blocks. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 16 May 2017.
- "Directory of District, Subdivision, Panchayat Samiti/ Block and Gram Panchayats in West Bengal". Bardhaman - Revised in March 2008. Panchayats and Rural Development Department, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 17 May 2017.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Nadia". Basic data: Table 4.4, 4.5, Clarifications: other related tables. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Archived from the original on 29 July 2017. Retrieved 26 May 2017.
- "Ranaghat College". RC. Retrieved 26 May 2017.
- "Ranaghat College". College Admission. Retrieved 26 May 2017.
- "Santipur College". SC. Retrieved 26 May 2017.
- "Santipur College". College Admission. Retrieved 26 May 2017.
- "Pritilata Waddedar Mahavidyalaya". PWM, Panikhali. Retrieved 26 May 2017.
- "Sri Krishna College, Bagula". SKC. Retrieved 26 May 2017.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Nadia". Table 3.1, 3.3. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Archived from the original on 29 July 2017. Retrieved 2 March 2017.
- "Health & Family Welfare Department". Health Statistics. Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 30 May 2017.
- "Delimitation Commission Order No. 18, 15 February 2006" (PDF). West Bengal. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 24 May 2017.