|Secretary of Security Council of Azerbaijan|
|Assumed office |
June 20, 2019
|7th Minister of Internal Affairs|
April 29, 1994 – June 20, 2019
|Preceded by||Vagif Novruzov|
|Succeeded by||Vilayət Eyvazov|
|Minister of Internal Affairs of Nakhichevan Autonomous Republic|
August 11, 1993 – April 29, 1994
|Preceded by||Himself under the Nakhichevan ASSR|
|Succeeded by||Akhmed Akhmedov|
|Born||December 22, 1948|
Khojali Rayon, Azerbaijan SSR, USSR
|Political party||CPSU (until 1991)|
New Azerbaijan Party
|Branch/service||Internal Troops of Azerbaijan|
Ramil Idris oglu Usubov (Azerbaijani: Ramil Idris oğlu Usubov, born 1948) is the incumbent Secretary of the Security Council of Azerbaijan. Before he served as the Minister of Internal Affairs of Azerbaijan, in office from 1994–2019.
Usubov was born in 1948 in Khojali Rayon of Azerbaijan. In 1970, he completed special school of Militsia named after N. Rzayev in Baku and graduated from Academy of Internal Affairs of USSR in 1980. Then he served in the Soviet Army and starting from 1970 worked in the law enforcement. Usubov is married and has three children.
He worked in criminal investigation units and in 1975 was appointed the head of Criminal Investigation Department of Shusha Rayon of Azerbaijan. In 1980-1984, he served as the deputy chief of Internal Affairs Department of Nagorno Karabakh Autonomous Oblast of Azerbaijan. In 1984-1987, he was the chief of Ali Bayramli department of Internal Affairs. In 1987, Usubov was appointed Minister of Internal Affairs of Nakhichevan and from 1989 up until 1993, worked as the Chief of Criminal Investigation, Head of Department of Visas and Registration (OVIR) and Chief of Human Resources of Ministry of Internal Affairs of Azerbaijan.
Minister of Internal Affairs
On August 11, 1993, he was appointed as the Minister of Internal Affairs of Nakhichevan Autonomous Republic, and on April 29, 1994, he was appointed as Minister of Internal Affairs of Azerbaijan by Presidential decree No. 140. During a Victory Day event in Baku in 2000, President Heydar Aliyev dismissed rumors about Usubov's potential dismissal, saying that "General Ramil Usubov is a very valuable man and works well" while praising his work.
In 2009, he filed a libel suit against activist Leyla Yunus after she alleged that police officers had been involved in human trafficking of young girls. He demanded 100,000 manat in damages. Human Rights Watch protested the trial, stating that "a judgment against Yunus would set a terrible precedent for freedom of expression in Azerbaijan", while other international groups described the case as "one more example of the Azerbaijani government cracking down on free expression".
Secretary of the Security Council
Dates of ranks
|Major General||May 3, 1994|
|Lieutenant General||December 26, 1995|
|Colonel General.||January 15, 2002|
- Azerbaijani Flag Order (December 24, 1998)
- Ramil Usubov Təhlükəsizlik Şurasının katibi təyin edilib. gulustan.info/
- Ramil Usubov appointed secretary of Security Council under Azerbaijani president. en.trend.az
- "Biographies. Ramil Usubov". Retrieved 2010-07-12.
- "Ministry of Internal Affairs. Usubov Ramil Idris oglu". Retrieved 2010-07-12.
- "Welcome to Heydar Aliyevs Heritage Research Center". lib.aliyevheritage.org. Retrieved 2020-11-22.
- "Azerbaijan: Accusations made against human rights defender, Ms Leyla Yunus". Front Line. 14 January 2009. Archived from the original on 19 August 2012. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- Hafiz Heydarov (26 January 2009). "The court considers petition of Leyla Yunus". Azeri Press Agency. Archived from the original on 19 August 2012. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "HRW Urges Azerbaijan To Drop Libel Case Against Rights Activist". Radio Free Europe. 21 January 2009. Archived from the original on 19 August 2012. Retrieved 18 August 2012.
- "Рамиль Усубов назначен секретарем Совета безопасности при президенте" (in Russian). Информационное Агентство Репорт. Retrieved 2019-06-20.
- Президент Польши наградил азербайджанских министров
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ramil Usubov.|