Ram Naresh Yadav
|16th Governor of Madhya Pradesh|
8 September 2011 – 7 September 2016
|Chief Minister||Shivraj Singh Chouhan|
|Preceded by||Rameshwar Thakur|
|Succeeded by||Om Prakash Kohli|
|Governor of Chhattisgarh|
19 June 2014 – 14 July 2014
|Chief Minister||Raman Singh|
|Preceded by||Shekhar Dutt|
|Succeeded by||Balram Das Tandon|
|10th Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh|
23 June 1977 – 28 February 1979
|Governor||Marri Chenna Reddy|
Ganpatrao Devji Tapase
|Preceded by||President's Rule|
|Succeeded by||Banarsi Das|
|Born||1 July 1928|
Azamgarh, United Provinces, British India
(now in Uttar Pradesh, India)
|Died||22 November 2016 (aged 88)|
Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Political party||Indian National Congress|
Ram Naresh Yadav (1 July 1928 – 22 November 2016) was an Indian politician who was Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh from 1977 to 1979. He was from Janata Party; later he joined the Congress. He also served as Governor of Madhya Pradesh from 26 August 2011 to 7 September 2016.
He was born on 1 July 1928 at Azamgarh in Uttar Pradesh. He belonged to a middle-class family. His father was a teacher. Ram Naresh Yadav was a successful lawyer in Azamgarh court. He died on 22 November 2016 in Lucknow.
Ram Naresh Yadav was interested in social work and was close to socialist leader Raj Narain. He entered the Sixth Lok Sabha in 1977 from Azamgarh constituency. He was considered a modest and a low-profile politician.
He became Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh on 23 June 1977, and remained on the post till 28 February 1979. On 25 February 1979, he failed to secure a vote of confidence. Banarsi Das was elected in his place and became Chief Minister.
In 2004 general elections, he contested from Azamgarh constituency on Indian National Congress ticket, but lost to Bahujan Samaj Party's Ramakant Yadav. On 26 August 2011, he was appointed as Governor of Madhya Pradesh by the President of India, Pratibha Patil, on the recommendation of the UPA government.
Alleged involvement in Vyapam scam
On February 24, 2015, Madhya Pradesh Special Task Force (STF) filed an FIR against Yadav for his alleged role in the multi-crore Madhya Pradesh Professional Examination Board (MPPEB) scam (Vyapam scam). He was charged with rigging the forest guard recruitment examination, conducted by Vyapam, and booked under the Information Technology Act and the Prevention of Corruption Act. The FIR was registered after an MP High Court hearing where Chief Justice A M Khanvilkar and Justice Alok Aradhe said STF can freely proceed against any "high dignitary". Yadav moved the high court citing constitutional immunity, which subsequently in April asked STF to "observe complete protocol", the Governor being the Head of the State. The head of the special investigative team (SIT) probing the scam said that action will be taken after his retirement in September, 2016. Meanwhile, a group of lawyers filed a petition in Supreme Court of India, seeking removal of Yadav and recording his statement in the case. A bench comprising Chief Justice of India H. L. Dattu and Justices Arun Kumar Mishra and Amitava Roy has agreed to hear the petition on July 9.
Earlier in 2013, STF arrested his former OSD Dhanraj Yadav in connection with the scam. Also, his son Shailesh was an accused in the MPPEB contractual teachers' recruitment exam, and reportedly died of a brain haemorrhage in March, at Yadav's Lucknow residence.
- "Veteran Congress leader Ram Naresh Yadav passes away". Omar Rashid. The Hindu. 22 November 2016. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- "Even for 'political survivor' Ram Naresh Yadav, Vyapam taint too big to play down". Vivek Trivedi. News18 India. 27 February 2015. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- Ralhan, Om Prakash (1 January 1998). Encyclopaedia Of Political Parties. Anmol Publ. ISBN 9788174888655 – via Google Books.
- "STATISTICAL REPORT ON GENERAL ELECTIONS, 2004 TO THE 14th LOK SABHA" (PDF). Election Commission of India. p. 316. Retrieved 23 November 2016.
- Vyapam scam: FIR filed against MP governor, The Times of India, February 24, 2015
- MP Governor Ram Naresh Yadav asked to resign by Home Ministry, The Deccan Chronicle, February 25, 2015
- God save the governor: Despite Vyapam scam taint why does Ram Yadav enjoy Modi govt's favour?, Firstpost.com, July 6, 2015
- Vyapam scam: SC agrees to hear plea seeking removal of MP Governor Ram Naresh Yadav, The Indian Express, July 6, 2015
- MP Governor’s son, accused in Vyapam scam, reportedly dies of brain hemorrhage, The Indian Express, March 26, 2015
| Member of Parliament