|A division of Raj Pocket Books|
|Raj Kumar Gupta|
Tarun Kumar Wahi
Raj Comics is an Indian comic book publisher. It published a line of Indian comic books through Raja Pocket Books since its foundation in 1986 by Raj Kumar Gupta. Some of its most well known characters include Nagraj, Super Commando Dhruva, Bhokal, Doga, Parmanu, Tiranga, Bankelal, Shakti, Inspector Steel, Bheriya and Anthony. Raj Comics is credited as being one of the leading comic book distributors in India, although many of its characters are inspired from American superheroes of Marvel and DC Comics.
The company mainly publishes four types of comics; medieval fantasy, horror, mystery, and superhero comics, with a predominant focus on superhero content. Their comics are usually published in Hindi, with only a few titles and special editions in English. It has produced close to 35,000 comics to date and has been read by people in India and abroad. The company also publishes an online exclusive web series named Raj Rojana, with a new page uploaded every day.
Raj Comics publishes in multiple formats, which include e-book, print, and motion comics. The company also sells hardcovers of their old and new comics, as well as bundled collections of their characters.
- 1 Team
- 2 Characters
- 2.1 Members of team Brahmand Rakshak (Protectors Of the Universe)
- 2.2 Members of team Research and Investigation Paranormalism [RIP]
- 2.3 Characters based in ancient times
- 2.4 Comedy characters
- 2.5 Kids Series characters (Defunct)
- 2.6 Member of Vistrit Brahmand Rakshak (Protectors of the Extended Universe)
- 2.7 Members of W.A.R
- 2.8 Member of P.V.N(Paralaukik Vigyan Nayakgan
- 3 History
- 4 Series
- 5 Filmography
- 6 Jubilee and Kalpana-lok awards
- 7 Raj Comics films
- 8 Digital Distribution
- 9 References
- 10 Further reading
- 11 External links
|Raj Gupta |
(Founder & Chairman)
|Manish Gupta |
|Manoj Gupta |
|Sanjay Gupta |
- Vivek Mohan (Editor)
- Anupam Sinha (Creative Director)
- Tarun Kumar Wahi (Chief Writer)
- Jolly Sinha (Writer)
- Ajit Singh (Territory Manager)
- Sanjay Saxena (Territory Manager)
- Anita Gupta (Manager Sales)
- Naveen Singh (Online Sales Support)
The major characters in Raj Comics divided among their respective
Members of team Brahmand Rakshak (Protectors Of the Universe)
- Super Commando Dhruva
- Inspector Steel
- Super Indian
- Pret Uncle
- Anthony: His powers include, superhuman strength, superhuman speed, superhuman stamina, superhuman regenerative healing factor, Longevity/Immortality, enhanced senses, Hellfire creation, teleportation. The character and the plot is inspired from The Crow created by James O'Barr. Anthony was a great singer and his album "Crow Sangeet" (Crow Music) became very popular, much to the dismay of his competitors. He was tortured to death by his jealous rivals. He is fondly remembered by his wife Julia and daughter Maria and his pet crow Prince still sits on his tombstone to mourn his death. He was later resurrected by nature itself. Now he is undead and as long as his soul is out of his body, his corpse lies motionless. Though several times his corpse was possessed by numerous enemies including Count Dracula. Whenever innocent people are subjected to injustice, Prince cries out, loud and shrill, in the graveyard. The air trembles, the clouds thunder, lightning flashes, and the dead man Anthony rises out of his grave to render the justice.
- Anthony can make use of cold fire, also called as hellfire, as a lethal weapon against his enemies. Though he cannot be hurt in any possible human way, after his death he became hydrophobic. On his 2nd resurrection, this limit of his was removed. Anthony regenerates each time after he kills his enemy, and until then his corpse remains mutilated. He has superhuman strength as of Shakti, Nagraj and other superhumans of the Raj Comics Universe. Psychic powers like telepathy do not affect him at all. He can teleport at any place on his wish.
- Among his family, friends and allies are Julie (Wife), Maria (Daughter), Prince Crow, Inspector/DCP Itihaas, Venu AKA Saza, John (Maria's Husband). Among his enemies are Bhanja, Bhairav Nath, Prof. Jaandaal. Raj Comics hosts a discussion forum, with a section specially devoted to Anthony.
Members of team Research and Investigation Paranormalism [RIP]
Characters based in ancient times
Kids Series characters (Defunct)
Member of Vistrit Brahmand Rakshak (Protectors of the Extended Universe)
- Ninjadev Kirigi
Members of W.A.R
- Kali Vidhwa
- Inspector Cheetah
- Black Cat
- Madam X
- Adrishya Hatyara
- Doctor Vargis
Member of P.V.N(Paralaukik Vigyan Nayakgan
- Facelace (Bharti)
- Red Letter(Vikram)
It was the era of the rise of Indian superheroes. It was first founded in 1986 by Rajkumar Gupta. Raj comics introduced its first vigilante superhero Super Commando Dhruv, created by Anupam Sinha. Later they launched peoples favorite superheroes like Nagraj, Doga, Parmanu, Tiranaga, etc. More than 5.5 million copies of such superhero comics were sold. The company mainly publishes four types of comics: medieval fantasy, horror, mystery, and superhero comics, with a predominant focus on superhero content.
Raj Comics's roots span long back to the 1980s. After extreme dedication and perseverance by the brothers and their father, Raj Comics was propelled to great heights and fame. Nearly every teenager spent their afternoons glued to the latest comic addition.
The Golden Age
Raj Comics has now expanded to multiple different publication streams, with TriColor and other various business entities taking venerable steps in penetrating the Indian book market. Beyond which, ongoing discussions with studio heads have been disclosed to the public about live feature films and the like based on their comic universe however nothing has since come to fruition.
Raj Comics has released a short feature film named Aadamkhor, partially self-produced and crowdfunded. It released on YouTube to critical acclaim by its audience.
Raj Comics also diversified its portfolio by investing in the digital sector. Headed by Manish Gupta[CEO], an android application was released for the general public in 2015. It has since garnered a massive following and has an average rating of 4.5+ stars.
King Comics was a line of comics published through Raja Pocket Books. While the division was initially successful, its popularity declined and the line went defunct after only about 2–5 years of activity. It was intended that many of King Comic's characters would be merged into Raj Comics, but only a few characters such as Gamraj were merged. During its run the division published six monthly comics.
Past and current series
- Kaliyug (Shakti, Nagraj & Dhruva)
- Tune Mara doga ko (Doga)
- Thrill-Horror-Suspense Series
- Friendy Series
- Goldheart Series
- Kaal Series (Ashwaraj, Gojo, Bhokal, TilismDev, Parmanu, Ins. Steel, Super Indian)
- Nagayan Series (Nagraj-Super Commando Dhruv)
- AmarPrem Series (Kobi-Bheriya-Bhokal)
- Japan Series (Aatakharta harta Nagraj)
- City Without A Hero (Multistar)
- Khazana series (Nagraj)
- Trifana Series (Nagraj)
- Maharavan Series (Bhokal)
- Dracula Series (Multistar)
- Narak Nashak Nagraj origin Series (Narak Nashak Nagraj)
- Crow Series (Anthony)
- Born In Blood Series (Doga)
- Express Way Series (Doga)
- Aatankawadi nagraj series (Multistarrer)
- Chamatakari bhokal series (Bhokal)
- Mard aur murda series (Doga-antony)
- Mahanagayan series
- Parmatma series (Parmanu)
- Raktadaan series (Doga)
- Jalyash series (Bankelal)
- Tilismi olympic series (Bhokal)
- Raj 20 (Amazing friends of nagraj)
- Nagraj ke badd series (Nagraj)
- Swarna nagri (Nagraj-Super Commando Dhruv- fighter toads)
- Belmunda ka khajana series (Nagraj-Super Commando Dhruv- Fighter Toads)
- Genius series (Super commando dhurva)
- Aadamkhoro ka swaraga series (Super commando dhurva)
- Axe series (Super commando dhurva)
- Aakhri dhurva series (Super commando dhurva)
- Pagal nagraj series (Nagraj)
- Made in India series (Ins.Steel)
- Wafa series (Doga)
- Doga diries series (Doga)
- Doga collection series (Doga)
- Mritiyjivi series (Narak nashak nagraj)
- Makbara series (Narak nashak nagraj-gagan-Vinashdoot-tahira- Monty)
- Kar Bura ho Bhala series (Bankelal)
- Aag series (Tiranga)
- Tandoor series (Doga)
- Bankelal lok se lok series (bankelal)
- Bankelal nagar se nagar series (Bankelal)
- Nagina series (Nagraj)
- Nahi bachega nagraj series (Nagraj)
- Rajnagar rakshak series (Super commando dhurva- Ins. Steel)
- Curfew series (Doga)
- Aarambha series (Yoddha)
- Hedron series (Nagraj-Super Commando Dhurva)
- Champion killer series (Super commando dhurva)
- Guru bhokal series (Bhokal)
- Game over series (Super commando dhurva)
- Andhi maut series (Super commando dhurva)
- Aagraj series (Nagraj)
- Doga Hindu Hai Series (Doga)
- Khoon series (Doga-Super Indian)
- Palra series (Multistarrer)
- Mai hu bheriya series (Bheriya- Nagraj-Super Commando Dhruv - Doga- Parmanu)
- Ins.chetta series (Doga)
- Nikal pada doga series (Doga)
- Nagraj hai na series (Nagraj)
- Lavva series (Nagraj)
- Hatyara kaun series (Super commando dhurva)
- Candakaal series (Super commando dhurva)
- Khoni khandan series (Super commando dhurva)
- Aab marega parmanu series (Parmanu)
- Lakshya purusha series (Doga)
- Ek katora au Do Ktora Khoon series (Thrill-Horror-Suspense)
- Chamatakari bhokal series (Bhokal)
- Jalyash series (Bankelal)
- Germany series (Aatakharta nagraj)
- Italy series (Aatakharta nagraj)
- Raktabeej series (Multistarrer)
- Doga unmulan series (Doga)
- Rajnagar Rakshak (Super Commando Dhruva, Inspector Steel)
- Akhiri-Last Survivors(Multistarrer)
- Sarvanayak (Nearly all major RC characters)
- Balcharit (Origin Series of Super Commando Dhruva) - Completed in October 2018
- Sarvanayak Vistar ( Multistarrer)
- Kshatipoorti ( Aatankharta Nagraj)
- Sheelbhang (Nagraj)
- Kyon hai Doga (Doga)
- Swamibhakt Rakhawale (Doga)
- Pappu Doga (Doga)
- Dead Gods (Multistarrer)
- Mind Games / illusion - Series (Super Commando Dhruva)
- Neo (Super Commando Dhruva)
- Shaktirupa (Super Commando Dhruva)
- Prem Granth (Super Commando Dhruva)
- Naag Granth (Narak Nashak Nagraj and Krodh Ketu Kobi)
- Sins of the father (Anthony-Multistarrer)
- Punarotthaan (Multistarrer)
- Mahanagayan (Multistarrer)
- Shuddhikaran ( Kobi - Bhediya)
- Adharmeshwar (Multistarrer)
- Agdam-Bagdam (Bankeylal, Nagraj, Dhruv)
- Fighter Force (Fighter Toads)
|2018||Aadamkhor||Kshitij Sharma||Kshitij Sharma, Deeya Dey|
See Aadamkhor Movie and Doga teaser on the YouTube Channel of Raj Comics (RC Motion Pictures).
Jubilee and Kalpana-lok awards
In 2010 Raj Comics celebrated its Silver Jubilee by launching the Kalpana-lok Awards. Participants are nominated by editors at Raj Comics and can be voted on by readers and fans on the Raj Comics website.
Raj Comics films
In 2014, Anurag Kashyap had spoken about making a film on Doga—a vigilante killing machine in the style of Marvel Comics’ The Punisher—but the project was shelved after his Bombay Velvet flopped. Raj Comics co-founder and studio head Sanjay Gupta, who has had a number of unsuccessful meetings with producers and studios, says "Bollywood is yet to warm up to the idea of licensing comic book characters that come with detailed universes and visuals ready for the screen. We want to start with animated Web series first. We are expecting to make our first live-action film the year after.” In December 2017, Raj Comics organized special screening of their horror film Aadamkhor at Nagraj Janmotsav event, Delhi. Aadamkhor is based on comic of the same name published by Raj Comics in 1992. Raj comics have released Aadamkhor on YouTube on 24 May 2018.
Raj Comics are available in digital form through their android app. The Raj Comics official android app has reached over 100k+ downloads at the time of this article. Free Services: In 2017, Raj Comics started free comics from their android app.
- Raj Comics: About Us Archived 2013-01-15 at the Wayback Machine
- "Raj Comics for the Hard Headed : s a r a i". sarai.net. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "Why Nagraj, Dhruva, Doga aren't finding space on big screen? (view pics)". India TV News. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "Raj Comics now in regional flavor". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "9 Indian Superheroes Inspired From Western Superheroes". Likes.in.
- Lent, John A. (2001-01-01). Illustrating Asia: Comics, Humor Magazines, and Picture Books. University of Hawaii Press. pp. 58–59. ISBN 9780824824716.
- "Best moments of Raj Comics Superheroes". eashportsbook.com. 1 November 2018.
- "After a hiatus, Indian comic book industry growing steadily". DNA India. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "Raj Comics to launch motion-comics". Bollywood.com News. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- Pratap, Rashmi. "Super-heroic ventures". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- Pratap, Rashmi (2014-04-25). "Super-heroic ventures". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- "Origin story of Anthony". eashportsbook.com. 26 November 2018.
- Forum by Raj Comics
- "Blast From The Past: Watch Sonu Sood Play 'Nagraj' in This Raj Comics Ad". News18. 2016-05-17. Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- Ghosh, Sankhayan (2016-09-02). "In search of the Indian superhero". livemint.com/. Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- "Why Nagraj, Dhruva, Doga aren't finding space on big screen? (view pics)". Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- "Raj Comics (Hindi हिंदी) - Android Apps on Google Play". play.google.com. Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- Kumar, Amitabh (2008). Raj Comics for the Hard Headed. Sarai.
YouTube Channel - RC Motion Pictures