|Publisher||Australian Railway Historical Society|
Railway Digest is published by the Australian Railway Historical Society (ARHS), NSW Division. The first issue was published in March 1963 under the name New South Wales Digest and regular publication commenced with the May 1963 edition. It was renamed in January 1983. In January 1985 it changed paper size from SRA5 to A4.
Originally an enthusiast magazine mainly focussing on reporting day-to-day workings of the New South Wales Government Railways and it successors, it was produced by volunteers using a hand-operated duplicator at the home of one of its members. In May 1993, a paid editor was appointed and the magazine's focus gradually shifted to reporting news from across Australia. Today it has evolved into a professional full colour production directed at the wider community and commercially distributed to newsagents throughout Australia.
The magazine is mainly a news magazine, with some feature articles. The other six state and territory divisions of the ARHS publish their own news magazines, while Australian Railway History is the national magazine for well-researched historical features. As at July 2016 it retails for $10.
- New South Wales Digest, Australian Railway Historical Society, New South Wales Division, 1963, retrieved 1 March 2015
- Railway Digest, Australian Railway Historical Society, New South Wales Division, 1983, ISSN 0157-2431
- "30 years of Railway Digest" Railway Digest March 1993 page 94
- "35 years of Railway Digest" Railway Digest March 1998 page 8
- Annual Report 2007-2008 Australian Railway Historical Society New South Wales Division (ACN 000 538 803) Dated 13 August 2008
- "Adapt or disappear - the lessons of Railway Digest's 50 years" Railway Digest March 2013
|This Australian rail-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This transport magazine or journal-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.