by Giambattista Basile
|Written by||Jason Fuchs|
|Directed by||Bille Woodruff|
|Theme music composer||Rodney Jerkins|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||88 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Pacific Bay Entertainment|
|Original release||May 28, 2012|
Rags is a Nickelodeon Original Movie. It is a musical, gender-switched inversion and modernization of the Cinderella fairy tale, starring Keke Palmer, Max Schneider, Drake Bell, Avan Jogia and Nick Cannon. The movie premiered on Nickelodeon on May 28, 2012.
The film follows the story of Charlie Prince, an orphan living in his late mother's old karaoke bar, The Palace, which she willed to his acerbic and unloving stepfather Arthur. Arthur makes Charlie do most of the work cleaning the bar; the other employees, couple Diego and Martha, love Charlie like their own son while his stepbrothers, the selfish Andrew and the nicer but simple-minded Lloyd, only annoy him. All three boys dream of being singers, and while Andrew and Lloyd lack talent (which Arthur is blind to), Charlie is vocally talented and can write music, though he can't seem to catch a break. In the beginning, Charlie is seen performing on the streets of New York City, and the narrator Shawn tips him, telling him: "Next time I see you, it better be on an album cover."
Kadee Worth, on the other hand, is the daughter of music mogul Reginald Worth, president of Majesty Records, and is an international pop phenomenon. While the world knows her as a glamorous superstar, she is secretly frustrated with singing other people's songs and wearing clothes other people choose for her. Just adding to her annoyance is her self-centered "boyfriend" Finn, who she is dating because her father believes it will help her sell records. Meanwhile, all Kadee wants is for the world to hear and see her true talent.
One day, Arthur sends Charlie to deliver his brothers' track "Androyd" to Majesty Records for their newly announced talent contest, and on the way, he bumps into Kadee after her dog, Trumpet, runs towards him. He drops off the disk, then notices a job offer as a janitor. Shawn, an employee of Majesty Records, sees him and tells the woman at the front to make sure Charlie gets the job. Not long after he's hired, Shawn catches Charlie singing in the studio and helps him record a demo. Throughout his employment, Charlie bumps into Kadee, slowly making enough of an impression on her that she starts following him, and meanwhile Arthur receives notice that Androyd was rejected from the talent contest.
After finally talking to him outside of work and revealing that she writes her own music, Charlie takes Kadee into town and encourages her to sing. Wearing a thin but effective disguise, she performs one of her songs on the street and loves the experience. As thanks, she gives Charlie an invitation to Majesty Records' Masquerade Ball, where the winner of the talent contest will be announced, but Arthur confiscates the invitation and uses it to take Androyd to the ball. With Diego and Martha's help, Charlie sneaks into the ball.
After dancing with Kadee in disguise, Charlie meets Shawn, the DJ of the party, who gives him a demo CD with the stage name "Rags" as a reminder of his humble origins. When the talent contest winner fails to appear at the ball as the planned musical act, Arthur seizes the opportunity to send Androyd up, only for them to be booed off almost immediately. Shawn encourages Charlie to perform instead, and though hesitant, he agrees and steals the show, but hurries out immediately after as he sees his stepfamily departing. On the way out, he kisses Kadee, telling her again to "Be you," and accidentally drops his CD.
Kadee, desperate to find out who Rags was, asks her father to help her find him, but he doesn't listen, thinking that it wouldn't be a good business move. Unwilling to give up, Kadee tracks down Charlie at The Palace and asks him to help. Working up all of his nerve, Charlie attempts to confess his identity, but Kadee doesn't hear him, leading him to help with the search auditions; nobody else had heard the second song on the CD, so whoever knew the lyrics was Rags. When Reginald confronts Kadee, she berates him for not listening to her. Charlie inadvertently eavesdrops and walks away with the mistaken impression that Kadee has no interest in him, only for Kadee to compliment him immediately after and end her relationship with Finn. Lloyd, who recognized Charlie at his performance from the design of his shoes, encourages Charlie to go after her and promises to keep his secret.
Andrew overhears the conversation, goes through Charlie's room and steals his songbook, presenting it to Arthur. At the auditions, Reginald arrives and apologizes for not listening to Kadee, promising to be more receptive. Charlie also encourages Kadee, telling her again "Be you," to her surprise. Andrew shows up to audition and leads Charlie to his father, who locks him in a closet so that Andrew can pose as Rags, leaving Lloyd as just a backup singer. Though Charlie escapes with the help of Trumpet and Kadee's girl friends, he arrives just in time to see Andrew shake hands with Reginald Worth.
Heartbroken, Charlie packs his things and plans to leave, but Kadee finds him and pleads with him to stay until she introduces Rags. To everyone's surprise, she calls up Charlie, having put together the pieces from him telling her to be herself. Ecstatic, Charlie begins to sing for the crowd, but soon invites Kadee up to the stage and tells her to sing her songs, which she does with her father's encouragement. Upon hearing his daughter's true talent, Reginald is astounded and decides to let Kadee be in charge of her career from that point on. Lloyd then reveals that Charlie's mom actually left The Palace to Charlie, not Arthur, which just adds to Charlie's day.
Charlie and Kadee start dating and appear on many covers of magazines. The movie ends with them singing "Me And You Against The World" at The Palace, now owned by Charlie and still managed by Diego and Martha, with Lloyd as a backup dancer, while Arthur and Andrew scrub toilets.
- Max Schneider as Charlie Prince (Cinderfella), a talented, young musician with the hopes of being famous.
- Keke Palmer as Kadee Worth (Princess Charming), a famous pop singer who befriends Charlie. She helps him with his dreams, and he helps her see what she really wants.
- Drake Bell as Shawn (Fairy Godfather), a studio technician at Majesty Records who helps Charlie produce his demo CD that leads Kadee to Rags.
- Avan Jogia as Finn, Kadee's rockstar ex-boyfriend.
- Zak Santiago as Diego (Also fairy godfather), a worker with Martha at Arthur's store and Charlie's father figure.
- Christina Sicoli as Martha (fairy godmother), a worker with Diego at Arthur's store and Charlie's mother figure.
- Robert Moloney as Arthur McGowens (Wicked Stepfather), Charlie's horrible, evil stepfather and Andrew and Lloyd's father.
- Burkely Duffield as Lloyd McGowens (Nicer Stepbrother), Charlie's nicer and more friendly stepbrother.
- Keenan Tracey as Andrew McGowens (Wicked Stepbrother), Charlie's spoiled and selfish stepbrother.
- Isaiah Mustafa as Reginald Worth, Kadee's father.
- Nick Cannon as Himself
- Devon Weigel as Erna, Reginald Worth's assistant.
- Tracy Spiridakos as Sammi, Kadee's friend.
- Carlena Britch as Tammy, Kadee's friend and back-up dancer.
- Maggie Ma as the Majesty Records receptionist
The film received 3.5 million viewers, however it earned 4.6 million total viewers (Live + 7 day) becoming one of Nickelodeon's highest rated original films. As well, the film shot to the top of the iTunes sales charts, debuting as the #1 musical on iTunes and remaining atop the charts for more than a month.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||May 22, 2012|
|Keke Palmer chronology|
|Max Schneider chronology|
Rags (Music from the Original Movie) is a soundtrack album by the film of the same name, released on May 22, 2012 by Nick Records. All the songs was produced by Darkchild and Andre Lindal. It includes nine songs featured by Keke Palmer and Max Schneider, with three bonus tracks. It was released on May 21 on iTunes. The soundtrack has peaked at #1 on the iTunes soundtrack albums chart and #3 on the Top 100 albums on iTunes chart.
- Track listing
|1.||"Me And You Against The World"||Keke Palmer and Max Schneider||3:29|
|2.||"Someday (Film Version)"||Max Schneider||3:47|
|3.||"Love You Hate You"||Keke Palmer||3:18|
|4.||"Nothing Gets Better Than This"||Max Schneider||2:34|
|5.||"Stand Out (Film Version)"||Keke Palmer||3:18|
|6.||"Hands Up"||Max Schneider||2:58|
|7.||"Perfect Harmony"||Keke Palmer and Max Schneider||2:26|
|8.||"Look At Me Now"||Keke Palmer||3:21|
|9.||"Not So Different At All"||Max Schneider||3:25|
|10.||"Stand Out (Album Version)"||Keke Palmer||3:07|
|11.||"Things Aren’t Always What They Seem"||Keke Palmer and Max Schneider||3:31|
|12.||"Someday (Album Version)"||Max Schneider||3:47|
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The film premiered across most of Nickelodeon's networks throughout the month of August 2012.
|Country / Region||Channel||Movie Premiere||Title in Country|
|Brazil||Nickelodeon (Brazil)||9 August 2012||Rags, O Poder da Música|
|Latin America||Nickelodeon (Latin America)||11 August 2012||Rags|
|Poland||Nickelodeon (Poland)||18 August 2012||Wyśpiewać marzenia|
|Russia||Nickelodeon (Russia)||18 August 2012||Лохмотья|
|Germany||Nickelodeon (Germany)||18 August 2012||Rags|
|Netherlands||Nickelodeon (Netherlands)||19 August 2012|
|Philippines||Nickelodeon (Philippines)||20 August 2012|
| Hong Kong
|Nickelodeon (South East Asia)|
|Nickelodeon (Australia)||26 August 2012|
|France||Nickelodeon (France)||Le rêve du chanteur masqué|
|Portugal||Nickelodeon (Portugal)||31 August 2012||Rags|
|Lithuania||TV3 Lithuania||12 May 2013|
| United Kingdom
|Nickelodeon (UK and Ireland)||September 24, 2012|
|Greece||Nickelodeon (Greece)||9 November 2013|
- "Big announcement Keke to perform at KCA's Pre-Show | The Official Site of Keke Palmer". Kekepalmer.com. 2012-03-28. Retrieved 2012-05-27.
- "Amazon.com: Big Time Movie / Rags (Nickelodeon Double Feature): Stephen Kramer Glickman, Tahmoh Penikett, Kendall Schmidt, Drake Bell, Keke Palmer, Zak Santiago, Ciara Bravo, James Maslow, Carlos Pena, Logan Henderson, Challen Cates, Billie Woodruff, Savage Steve Holland: Movies & TV". Amazon.
- "RagsMovie: #RAGS grew from 3.5 MM total". Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Weekly top 10 programmes | BARB". Broadcasters' Audience Research Board.
- Big Time Rush - 'Big Time Movie' Comes to DVD, Accompanied by Nick's 'Rags' Archived 2017-11-13 at the Wayback Machine
- "Rags (Music from the Original Movie)". iTunes. Retrieved December 20, 2016.
- "Keke Palmer and Max Schneider Star in the Nickelodeon Original TV Movie, Rags, Premiering Memorial Day, Monday, May 28, at 8p.m. (ET/PT) - New York Times". Markets.on.nytimes.com. 2012-04-23. Retrieved 2012-05-27.
- "Nickelodeon's "Rags" Soundtrack Is Number One On iTunes | Nickelodeon News". Archived from the original on October 19, 2012.
- "Keke Palmer and Max Schneider: "Rags" Soundtrack Out May 22nd". Shine On Media. Retrieved 2012-05-27.
- Nickelodeon UK Announce Rags will Premiere in September 2012!