|Discipline||Astronomy, geophysics, planetary science|
|Edited by||Sue Bowler|
|Occasional Notes of the Royal Astronomical Society, Quarterly Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society|
|ISO 4||Astron. Geophys.|
Astronomy & Geophysics (A&G) is a scientific journal and trade magazine published on behalf of the Royal Astronomical Society (RAS) by Oxford University Press. It publishes a mixture of content of interest to astronomers and geophysicists: news reports, interviews, topical reviews, historical investigations, obituaries, meeting reports and updates on the activities of the RAS. Full-length articles are peer reviewed.
A&G was formed in 1997 as a 'glossy' replacement for the Quarterly Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society (QJRAS; 1960–1996); it continues the same volume numbering from QJRAS. Since its inception and as of 2018 the editor is Sue Bowler of the University of Leeds.
The journal covers astronomy, astrophysics, cosmology, planetary science, solar-terrestrial physics, global and regional geophysics, and the history of these subjects. It also publishes thematic articles regarding interdisciplinary research, science policy, news, opinions, correspondence, and book and software reviews. Royal Astronomical Society communications about events and people and obituaries are also within this journal's purview.
Furthermore, in keeping with the tradition of the Quarterly Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society, it publishes discussions of fundamental science and scientific debates. The journal also functions as a channel of communication between the membership, the Council, and the Society's Officers.
Abstracting and indexing
The journal is abstracted and indexed in:
- Academic Search (including Academic Search Elite and Academic Search Premier)
- Current Contents/Physical, Chemical & Earth Sciences
- Meteorological & Geoastrophysical Abstracts
- ProQuest 5000
- Science Citation Index
According to the 2010 Journal Citation Reports, the journal has an impact factor of 0.339, ranking it 51st out of 54 journals in the category "Astronomy & Astrophysics" and 72nd out of 77 in the category "Geochemistry & Geophysics".
Quarterly Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society
The Quarterly Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society (Q. J. R. Astron. Soc, ISSN 0035-8738) was published by the Royal Astronomical Society from September 1960 to December 1996, and was produced by Blackwell Science in its later period. During that time 37 volumes were issued. The journal included articles reviewing modern astronomy or geophysics, discussions about research topics, meeting reports, contributions about the history of science, and reports of astronomical research groups and institutes. It gave less emphasis to detailed scientific research papers, which instead were published in the society's Monthly Notices. (ISSN 0308-3322).
Before 1960 the Royal Astronomical Society had published proceedings of its activities in its Monthly Notices alongside research papers, and published research reviews in its Occasional Notes. The Quarterly Journal was established in 1960 to free the Monthly Notices to concentrate on original research, and the Occasional Notes were discontinued.
Editors of the Quarterly Journal
- David Dewhirst, 1960–1965
- C. Andrew Murray, 1965–1970
- A. Jack Meadows, 1970–1975
- Simon Mitton, 1976–1980
- David W. Hughes, 1981–1985
- George H. A. Coles, 1986–1991
- Robert C. Smith, 1992–1995
- David W. Hughes, 1996.
Abstracting and indexing for Quarterly Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society
The Quarterly Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society was formerly indexed in:
- International Aerospace Abstracts
- Computer & Control Abstracts
- Electrical & Electronics Abstracts
- Physics Abstracts. Science Abstracts. Series A
- Chemical Abstracts
All articles are indexed, with abstracts, in the Astrophysics Data System, which includes scans of all pages. The ADS bibliographic code is QJRAS.
- Smith, Keith (28 June 2012). "RAS journals to be published by Oxford University Press". Royal Astronomical Society. Retrieved 20 July 2017.
- "RAS Publications". Royal Astronomical Society. 2006. Archived from the original on 6 July 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-10.
- "Astronomy and Geophysics". Royal Astronomical Society. March 8, 2005. Retrieved 2010-06-10.
- Home page. Wiley-Blackwell. 2010
- "Astronomy & Geophysics - Journal Information". Wiley-Blackwell. Retrieved 2011-04-28.
- "Abstracting, indexing, impact factor". Wiley-Blackwell. 2010. Retrieved 2010-06-11.
- Homepage at Wiley-Blackwell. September 2011.
- Bibliographic information for this journal. "Library catalog". Wheaton College – Helin Library. Retrieved 2011-01-18.
- Bibliographic information for this journal. "Library catalog". Amherst College/Hampshire College/Mount Holyoke College/Smith College/University of Massachusetts Amherst. Retrieved 2011-01-18.
- Compiled by John Williams of the Royal Astronomical Society (1870). A general index to the first twenty-nine volumes of the Monthly notices of the Royal astronomical society (Proceedings of the society from February 9, 1827, to 1868-69 session). London: Strangeways and Walden. OCLC 42319444.
- Hughes, David W. (1996). "The Quarterly Journal, 1960–96". Quarterly Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society. Royal Astronomical Society. 37 (4): 485–492. Bibcode:1996QJRAS..37..485H.