West side view of the station
|Local authority||London Borough of Croydon|
|Number of platforms||4 (2 in use)|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|5 November 1899||Opened|
|London transport portal|
Purley Oaks railway station is in the London Borough of Croydon in south London, on the Brighton Main Line 12 miles 34 chains (20.0 km) measured from London Bridge. All trains serving it are operated by Southern and it is in London Travelcard Zone 6. The station has four platforms: a disused side platform on the up fast line, an island platform with a disused face on the down fast line and an eastern face used by up trains, and a side platform on the eastern side used by down trains. The two platforms are only used during engineering works. There is also a pay-and-display car park at the station.
The ticket office (staffed for part of the day) is on the island platform with two self-service ticket machines in the subway beneath the station. There used to be a self-service PERTIS (permit to travel) ticket machine.
The station was opened by the London Brighton and South Coast Railway on 5 November 1899 as part of the improvements to the main line and the opening of the Quarry Line.
Until 1983: Platform 1 served up trains to London Victoria from Coulsdon North, calling at South and East Croydon and stations to Victoria); Platform 2 down trains from Victoria to Purley and Coulsdon North; Platform 3 up trains to London Bridge and Charing Cross from Caterham/Tattenham Corner, calling at South and East Croydon, New Cross Gate, London Bridge and Waterloo East; Platform 4 down trains from Charing Cross to Purley, the front portion all stations to Caterham, the rear portion all stations to Tattenham Corner.
Platform 1 was gutted by fire in 1989, destroying Croydon Model Railway Society's clubrooms.
On Saturday 4th March 1989, it was affected by the Purley station rail crash.
The typical off-peak train service per hour is:
- 4 to London Bridge via East Croydon. Two of these run non-stop between East Croydon and London Bridge; the other two stop at all stations.
- 2 to Caterham and Tattenham Corner dividing at Purley
- 1 to Coulsdon Town
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Brighton Main Line
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- Yonge, John (November 2008) . Jacobs, Gerald (ed.). Railway Track Diagrams 5: Southern & TfL (3rd ed.). Bradford on Avon: Trackmaps. map 14C. ISBN 978-0-9549866-4-3.
- "Croydon Model Rail Society: About Us". Croydon Model Rail Society. Retrieved 28 November 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Purley Oaks railway station.|