|Location||Rincón, Puerto Rico|
|Year first lit||1892|
|Tower shape||Octagonal cylindrical|
|Markings / pattern||Gray|
|Tower height||21 metre|
|Focal height||27 metre|
|Original lens||Sixth order 1892|
|Range||9 nautical mile|
|Characteristic||Oc W 4s|
|Heritage||place listed on the National Register of Historic Places|
Faro de Punta Higuero
|MPS||Lighthouse System of Puerto Rico TR|
|NRHP reference #||81000560 |
Punta Higuero Light, also known as Faro de Punta Higuero, is an historic lighthouse located in Rincón, Puerto Rico. The original building was built in 1892 by the Spanish government and was rebuilt in 1922 by the United States Coast Guard.
In 1892 the original light was built as a fixed white, 6th order dioptric station and had a 6-mile range light beam. It had a Mediterranean appearance that came from an elaborate combination of exposed and indented brick work in the facades around doors and windows and corners. The "castle" look was further emphasized by reddish stucco imitating stone-work on all facades and the very elaborate exposed brick cornice topped by a parapet built in lace-like brick-work. The lighthouse was severely damaged by the 1918 earthquake that struck the west part of the island.
The new light was placed in commission on January 12, 1922. The building suffered fire damage after the light was automated in 1933 and was later razed. The town of Rincón built El Faro Park around the lighthouse, a popular spot for surfing and whale watching.
- "Historic Light Station Information and Photography: Puerto Rico". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office. Retrieved 2009-03-26.
- "Inventory of Historic Light Stations National Park Service". Archived from the original on 2009-04-03. Retrieved 2009-03-27.
- "Rincón 1". Ediciones Digitales. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- "Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)". 1968.
- "Rincón 2". Ediciones Digitales. Retrieved 28 June 2019.
- Franklin, Marie C. (2003-10-26). "Waves of pleasure in Rincon". Boston Globe. Archived from the original on 2012-10-23. Retrieved 2009-03-26.