Logo of Punjab Police Department
|Motto||ਸ਼ੁਭ ਕਰਮਨ ਤੇ ਕਬਹੁੰ ਨਾ ਟਰੋਂ|
Shubh karman te kabhun nan taron
(Punjabi:"Let me never deviate from doing a righteous deed")
|Annual budget||₹6,452 crore (US$900 million) (2019-20 est.) |
|Operations jurisdiction||Punjab, IN|
|Map of Punjab Police's jurisdiction.|
|Governing body||Government of Punjab (India)|
|Elected officer responsible|
|Motorcycle, Jeep, Cars, Buses, Truck and Armoured Vehicles||3083|
The Punjab Police (abbreviated as PP) is the police agency responsible for law enforcement and investigations within the state of Punjab, India. Punjab Police has a broad array of specialized services, including the prevention and detection of crime, maintenance of law and order and the enforcement of the Constitution of India. Its headquarters are located at Jan Marg, Chandigarh. On 7 September 2011, Punjab Police started a video conferencing service to redress problems of NRIs. The present DGP of Punjab Police is Dinkar Gupta since 7 February 2019. He is an IPS officer of 1987 batch.
Rapid Rural Police Response System
Punjab to be the first state of India to have Rapid Rural Police Response System which provides City PCR-like response service in rural areas. As Punjab Police adopted Computer-Aided-Dispatch (CAD) system for Dial 100 system, 289 four-wheelers and 724 GPS fitted motorcycles are being used.
Punjab Highway Patrol
Punjab Police have global positioning system (GPS) tracker and vehicle registration search device equipped highway patrol vehicles.
Crime Investigation Agency (CIA Staff)
Crime Investigation Agency or CIA staff is a special branch of Punjab Police. The crucial or unsolved criminal cases like smuggling, kidnapping, narcotics, terrorism, murder, etc. are handed over to them. This branch of police is known for its ways to interrogate the culprit who committed the crime.
Night Policing Scheme
Punjab Bureau of Investigation
Punjab Bureau of Investigation was setup in 2019 with 4521 dedicated new posts. Punjab is the first State of India that have formed Bureau of Investigation and separated law & order duties from investigation functions by bringing all investigation staff of 7,772 under a unified wing command. The Bureau of Investigation would conduct investigation into civil and criminal cases registered at various police stations and is equipped with:
- mobile forensic evidence collection units
- regional forensic science labs
- modern cyber crime unit
- modern interview rooms
- modern women police stations in all districts
- Police Recruits Training Centre
Police Recruits Training Centre (PRTC) is located at Jahan Khelan, which is about 10 km from Hoshiarpur on the Una road. PRTC Jahan Khelan is headed by a Commandant. This is a subsidiary training centre of the Punjab Police Academy. It caters to the teaching and training needs of the newly recruited police constables and also organizes several other courses. It is the oldest and premier police training centre of Northern area and is functioning in this campus since November 1947 after shifting from fort Gobindgarh, Amritsar.
- Commando training centre
- Punjab Armed Police
- India Reserve Battalions
- Punjab Commando Police
The headquarters of the Punjab Armed Police are located at Jalandhar while the India Reserve Battalions are stationed at Sangrur, Amritsar, Patiala, Ludhiana and Jalandhar and the Punjab Commando Police at Bahadurgarh (Patiala) and S.A.S. Nagar (Mohali).
Weapons and Equipment
Punjab Police have 3083 vehicles and patrol cars like Mahindra Scorpio Getaways and Maruti Gypsys. PP also have motorcycles equipped with GPS and Multi Utility Vehicles equipped with GPS and CCTV cameras.
Cyber Crime Cell Punjab
Punjab Police have a dedicated cybercrime cell to deal with cybercrime in the state headed by IG ranked police officer having office in Phase 4, S.A.S Nagar.
Punjab Police Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) was formed in 2010. They are usually tasked with protection duties. They are highly trained on the lines of National Security Guard by Israel's Mossad through private company Athena Security, deployed by the Punjab Government. All the commandos are under 28 years of age, thus making them fit and capable of tasks meant for commandos. Their main work is to fight against any terrorist attack if it occurs in Punjab State. They have been trained exclusively in Krav Maga, room intervention, close and open techniques and other secret tactics.
The SWAT is provided with various state-of-art equipment and the latest technology. The teams are provided with:
- Bullet-proof transport
- Lightweight bullet-proof jackets and helmets
- Hands-free radio sets
- Complete anti-trauma bodysuit with level-2 protection
- Riot control helmet
- Gas masks
- Shock shields
- Laser guns
- Gas guns and
- Pepper gun launcher
- Glock 17 pistol
- Brugger & Thomet MP9 sub machine gun
- Heckler & Koch MP5 sub machine gun
- MTAR 21 X95 assault rifle
- SIG 552 assault rifle
- AK-47 assault rifle
- Steyr SSG 69
- Night vision device
Every year, 21 October is celebrated as Commemoration Day by Punjab Police.
- Director General of Police (DGP)
- Additional Director General of Police
- Inspector General of Police (IGP)
- Deputy Inspector General of Police
- Senior Superintendent of Police
- Superintendent of Police (SP)
- Additional Superintendent of Police
- Assistant SP (IPS) or Deputy SP (PPS)
- Inspector of Police
- Sub-Inspector of Police (SI)
- Assistant Sub-Inspector of Police (ASI)
- Head Constable
- Senior Constable
Following is the list of all the major IPS Officeholders in Punjab Police.
|Sr. Rank||Name||Year of Allotment||Current Posting||Date of retirement|
|1||Sumedh Singh Saini||1982||[RETIRED FROM SERVICE]||30.06.2018|
|2||Suresh Arora||1982||[RETIRED FROM SERVICE]||30.09.2018|
|3||Samant Kumar Goel||1984||On Central Deputation (Addl. Secretary, Cabinet Sectt., Govt. of India, New Delhi).||31.05.2020|
|4||Mohd. Mustafa||1985||DGP/Punjab State Human Rights Commission, Chg.||28.02.2021|
|5||Hardeep Singh Dhillon||1985||DGP/Law & Order, Pb., Chg||31.03.2019|
|6||Jasminder Singh||1986||DGP/IVC, Pb., Chandigarh.||31.08.2019|
|7||S. Chattopadhayaya||1986||DGP/HRD, Pb., Chg.||31.03.2022|
|8||Dinkar Gupta||1987||DGP PUNJAB||31.03.2024|
|9||C. Sita Rami Reddy||1987||DGP/Investigation, Lokpal, Pb., Chg.||31.12.2020|
|10||M.K. Tiwari||1987||DGP-cum-MD, Punjab Police Housing Corporation, Chandigarh.||28.02.2022|
|11||V.K. Bhawra||1987||DGP INT||31.05.2024|
|12||Prabodh Kumar||1988||Director/Bureau of Investigation, Pb., Chg.||31.01.2025|
|14||Iqbal Preet Singh Sahota||1988||ADGP/RAILWAY||31.08.2022|
|15||Sanjeev Kumar Kalra||1989||ADGP/Welfare, Pb., Chg.||28.02.2026|
|16||Parag Jain||1989||On Central Deputation (Jt. Secy., Cabinet Sectt., Govt. of India, New Delhi.)||31.12.2026|
|17||Barjinder Kumar Uppal||1991||ADGP-cum-Chief Director, Vigilance Bureau, Pb., Chg.||31.05.2022|
|18||Balbir Kumar Bawa||1991||ADGP-cum-Comdt. Genl., Punjab Home Guards & Director, Civil Defence, Pb., Chg.||31.08.2019|
|19||Sharad Satya Chauhan (Dr.)||1992||ADGP/Policy & Rules, Pb.,Chg.||31.03.2028|
|20||Harpreet Singh Sidhu||1992||ADGP/STF, Punjab, Chg. (Addl. charge of ADGP/Border since)||31.05.2027|
|21||Gaurav Yadav||1992||ADGP/Security, Pb., Chg.||30.04.2029|
|22||Kuldeep Singh||1992||ADGP/Armed Bns., Jalandhar.||31.12.2026|
|23||Rajinderpal Singh Brar||1992||ADGP/PSPCL, PTL. (Hqrs. at Chg.)||31.05.2019|
|24||Gurpreet Kaur Deo (Mrs.)||1993||IGP/Prov., Pb., Chg.||31.01.2028|
|25||Varinder Kumar||1993||IGP/Intelligence, Pb., Chg. (Hqrs. at S.A.S.Nagar.)||31.07.2025|
|26||Ishwar Singh||1993||IGP/NRI Affairs & Women Welfare, Pb., S.A.S.Nagar.||31.05.2026|
|27||Jitendra Kumar Jain (Dr.)||1993||IGP/CDO, Pb., BHG., Patiala.||30.09.2028|
|28||Satish Kumar Asthana||1993||IGP/Modernisation, Pb., Chg.||31.05.2025|
|29||Shashi Prabha Dwivedi (Mrs.)||1993||IGP/Crime, Pb, Chg.||30.09.2026|
|30||Rajendra Namdeo Dhoke||1993||IGP-cum-Commissioner of Police, Ludhiana.||30.06.2025|
|31||Arpit Shukla||1993||IGP/Zonal-2, Punjab, Jalandhar.||30.04.2026|
|32||Naresh Kumar Dr.||1994||IGP/ Intelligence, Pb,. Chg. (Hqrs. at S.A.S.Nagar.)||30.09.2026|
|33||Ram Singh||1994||On Central Deputation (Director, Ministry of Textiles, GOI, New Delhi.)||31.05.2029|
|34||Sudhanshu S. Srivastava||1994||IGP-cum-Commissioner of Police, Amritsar.||31.01.2029|
|35||Praveen Kumar Sinha||1994||IGP-cum-Commissioner of Police, Jalandhar.||31.05.2030|
|36||B.Chandra Sekhar||1994||IGP/STF, Patiala Zone and Admn., Pb., Chg. (Also Nodal Officer/STF, Pb.)||31.07.2025|
|37||Amardeep Singh Rai||1994||IGP/Zonal-1, Pb., Patiala. (with addl. charge of IGP/Vig. Bureau, Pb., Chg.)||31.05.2028|
|38||Neeraja Voruvuru (Mrs)||1994||IGP/Personnel, Pb., Chg.||30.04.2031|
|39||Anita Punj (Mrs.)||1994||IGP/Training, Pb., Chg.||31.05.2027|
|40||Kapil Dev||1995||On Central Deputation (Director, Cabinet Sectt., GOI, New Delhi.)||31.03.2032|
|41||Pramod Ban||1995||IGP/STF, Jal. Zone Hqrs. at Chg.||30.09.2028|
|42||Mohd.Faiyaz Farooqui||1995||IGP/Crime, Pb., Chg.||31.03.2027|
|43||Amit Prasad||1995||IGP/CI, Pb., Chg.||31.07.2028|
|44||Gautam Cheema||1995||IGP/Law & Order-2, Pb., Chg.||31.05.2031|
|45||G. Nageswara Rao||1995||IGP-cum-Dir., Vig. Bureau, Pb., Chg.||30.04.2027|
|46||Paramraj Singh Umranangal||1995||IGP/Policy & Rules, Pb., Chg.||31.12.2025|
|47||Tejinder Pal Singh Sandhu||1995||IGP/IVC, Pb., Chg.||31.12.2018|
|48||Vibhu Raj (Mrs.)||1996||IGP/EOW, Crime, Pb., Chg.||31.12.2027|
|49||Rajiv Ahir||1996||On Central Deputation (Counsellor, Community Affairs & Labour, High Commission of India, Kuala Lumpur.)||31.03.2027|
|50||Lakshmee Kant Yadav||1996||IGP/Crime, Pb., Chg.||31.12.2028|
|51||Pavan Kumar Rai||1997||On Central Deputation (Director, Cabinet Sectt., GOI, New Delhi)||31.10.2030|
|52||Naunihal Singh||1997||IGP/Cyber Crime, Pb., SAS Nagar.||30.09.2033|
|53||Arun Pal Singh||1997||IGP/PAP, Jal. (Addl. charge as IGP/Trg., Armed Bns., Jal.)||30.04.2033|
|54||Rajesh Kumar Jaiswal||1997||IGP/STF, Pb., Border Zone with Hqrs. at Chg.||31.01.2030|
|55||Nilabh Kishore||1998||On deputation in Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP)||28.02.2034|
|56||Kunwar Vijay P. Singh||1998||IGP/ATS (Intelligence-II), Pb., Chg. (Hqrs. at S.A.S.Nagar.)||30.09.2029|
|57||Shive Kumar Verma||1998||IGP/EOW, Vig. Bureau, Pb., Chg.||31.10.2031|
|58||Balkar Singh Sidhu||1998||IGP/STF, Bathinda Zone Hqrs. at Chg.||31.03.2021|
|59||Gurinder Singh Dhillon||1998||IGP/Law & Order-1, Pb., Chg.||31.05.2024|
|60||Mohnish Chawla||1998||IGP/Traffic, Pb., Chg.||30.04.2025|
|61||Surinderpal Singh Parmar||1998||IGP/Welfare, Pb., Chg.||30.09.2026|
|62||Amar Singh Chahal||1998||IGP/IRB, Pb., Patiala.||31.12.2019|
|63||Jatinder Singh Aulakh||1998||IGP/Hqrs., Pb., Chg.||31.01.2023|
|64||Mukhwinder Singh Chhina||1998||IGP/Bathinda Zone, Bathinda.||31.12.2023|
|65||Rakesh Agrawal||1999||IGP/C.M.Sec., Pb., Chg./SPU||31.12.2035|
|66||Jaskaran Singh||1999||DIG/Jalandhar Range, Jalandhar.||30.04.2024|
|67||Yurinder Singh||1999||DIG-cum-Joint Dir., MRS PPA, Phillaur.||31.10.2021|
|68||Rajinder Singh (Darbhanga)||1999||DIG/Ferozepur Range, Ferozepur.||31.03.2018|
|69||Dinesh Pratap Singh||2000||On Central Deputation (As Director, Cabinet Sectt., GOI, New Delhi.)||29.02.2032|
|70||Arun Kumar Mittal||2000||DIG/Training,CPO,Pb,Chg||30.06.2022|
|71||Kaustubh Sharma (Dr.)||2001||On Central Deputation (Zonal/Deputy Director, Narcotic Control Bureau, New Delhi.) (Zonal Director/NCB, Zonal Unit/Chandigarh since 06.01.2014)||31.03.2032|
|72||Pradeep Kumar Yadav||2002||AIG/Admin./IT & T, Pb., Chg.||30.06.2037|
|73||Gursharan Singh Sandhu||2002||DIG/Ludhiana Range, Ludhiana||31.07.2024|
|74||Kanwar Bahadur Singh||2002||ADC to Governor of Punjab, Chg.||31.08.2020|
|75||Sukhchain Singh (Dr.)||2003||DIG/Information Technology & Telecommunication, Pb., Chg.||30.04.2037|
|76||Ashish Choudhary||2003||DIG/Provisioning, CPO, Pb., Chg..||30.09.2036|
|77||Surinder Kumar Kalia||2003||DIG/Admn., PAP, Jal. Addl. charge as DIG/Admn., CDO, BHG, PTL. and DIG/PAP-2 & Training, Chg.)||31.12.2021|
|78||Babu Lal Meena||2004||DIG/Ropar Range, Ropar. (In the rank of SP)||30.06.2032|
|79||Ranbir Singh Khatra||2004||DIG/Admn., IRB, Pb., PTL. (In the rank of SP) (Addl. charge as DIG/CI, Pb., Chg.)||31.03.2021|
|80||Tulsi Ram||2004||DIG/Admn., CPO, Pb., Chg. (In the rank of SP)||31.03.2018|
|81||Harsh Kumar Bansal||2005||On Central Deputation as Joint Deputy Director/ Intelligence Bureau, GOI, New Delhi.||30.09.2038|
|82||Dilbag Singh||2005||DIG/Training, Pb., Chg. (Current Duty Charge)||31.10.2017|
|83||Baljot Singh Rathore||2005||DIG/Government Railways Police, Pb., Patiala (Current Duty Charge)||31.12.2026|
|84||Gurpreet Singh Bhullar||2005||SSP/Jalandhar (Rural)||31.10.2027|
|85||Hardial Singh Mann||2005||AIG/State Crime Police Station & State Cyber Crime Police Station, SAS Nagar.||31.08.2021|
|86||Harbaj Singh||2005||AIG/Traffic, Pb., Chg.||31.03.2022|
|87||Gurpreet Singh Toor||2005||DIG||31.05.2022|
|88||Surjit Singh||2005||SSP/Ludhiana (Rural)||28.02.2022|
|89||Harjinder Singh||2005||Comdt., 9th Bn. PAP, Amritsar.||31.10.2017|
|90||Gurpreet Singh Gill||2005||Supdt./Central Jail, Kapurthala.||31.08.2022|
|91||Iqbal Singh||2005||AIG/Special Cell, Pb., Chg.||30.11.2017|
|92||Pawan Kumar||2005||Comdt./RTC, PAP, Jal.||31.01.2019|
|93||Dhanpreet Kaur (Mrs.)||2006||On Central Deputation Private Secy. to Hon'ble MOS for Social Justice and Empowerment, GOI, New Delhi. (In the rank of Deputy Secy.)||30.04.2039|
|94||Inderbir Singh||2007||AIG/Policy & Rules, Pb., Chg.||31.07.2040|
|95||S. Boopathi (Dr.)||2007||SSP/Patiala.||30.04.2036|
|96||Amrit Brar (Mrs.)||2007||RETIRED FROM SERVICE||31.10.2019|
|97||Harcharan Singh Bhullar||2007||SSP/Gurdaspur||31.10.2027|
|98||Sanmeet Kaur (Mrs.)||2007||AIG/Investigation, BOI, Pb., Chg.||28.02.2041|
|99||Jagadale Nilambari Vijay (Mrs.)||2008||SSP/U.T., Chandigarh.||30.06.2041|
|100||Ashish Kapoor||1991||VIB (Vigilance Bureau) FLYING SQUAD 1 AIG||31.05.2035|
Punjab police in popular culture
Punjab police has been frequently portrayed in films. Some of the prominent ones are listed below:
- Jatt & Juliet 2 (2013)
- Baaz (2014)
- Mahaul Theek Hai (1999)
- Police in Pollywood (2014)
- Punjab 1984 (2014)
I know the difficulties and disaster which overtook the Punjab Police during the period of partition. Your force was depleted terribly and quickly you had to begin from a scratch. After such a partition and the period of communal disturbances a parallel of which is not known, you had to face great difficulties and you have in fact performed a miracle in reorganizing your force in such a short time and in such a splendid manner
- "Punjab has over 70,000 policemen".
- "Punjab Budget Analysis 2019-20" (PDF). prsindia.org. 2019.
- "punjab police is getting problem due to vehicle scarcity". www.patrika.com (in Hindi). 15 February 2015. Retrieved 30 July 2015.[permanent dead link]
- "Punjab". Overseas Indian Facilitation Centre. Archived from the original on 10 October 2011. Retrieved 8 September 2011.
- "Tribune Chandigarh".
- "Punjab to be the first state to have 'rapid rural police response system', Odisha Current News, Odisha Latest Headlines". OdishaDiary. 30 July 2012. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- "Punjab set to launch new rural policing system". The Hindu. 30 August 2012. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- "Rapid Rural Police Response System finalised". The Pioneer. 30 December 2014. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- Dua, Rohan (15 July 2013). "Punjab introduces GPS-enabled highway patrol vehicles". The Times of India. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- India (15 July 2013). "4,000-strong force to police Punjab at night". The Indian Express. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- "Punjab launches night policing". Business Standard News. Indo-Asian News Service. 14 July 2013. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- "Soon, Punjab to get separate investigation, law and order police wings in all districts". The Indian Express. 1 August 2019. Retrieved 8 August 2019.
- "Explained: What is the Punjab Bureau of Investigation?". The Indian Express. 31 July 2019. Retrieved 8 August 2019.
- "Acting on SC order, Punjab creates 4,521 posts for Bureau of Investigation". The Tribune. 8 February 2019. Retrieved 8 August 2019.
- "Finally, investigation bureau takes shape". The Tribune. 11 April 2019. Retrieved 8 August 2019.
- Bajwa, Harpreet (5 March 2015). "Punjab Sets up Bureau of Investigation". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- "Punjab Govt separates investigation from law and order". The Pioneer. 5 March 2015. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- "Punjab Police gets separate wing to speed up investigations". hindustantimes.com. 4 March 2015. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- "Spectrum". The Sunday Tribune. 15 June 2014. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- Service, Tribune News (30 July 2015). "Punjab cops equipped with useless arms: CAG". tribuneindia.com. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- "Punjab Police adds 150 Scorpio Getaways to its fleet". IIFL - BSE/NSE, India Stock Market Recommendations, Live Stock Markets, Sensex/Nifty, Commodity Market, Financial News, Mutual Funds. 24 September 2010. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- Basu, Rahul (24 September 2010). "Punjab Police armoured with 30 new Scorpio Getaways". Zigwheels.com. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- "Punjab Police Gypsy 'hits' youth, speeds away". hindustantimes.com. 4 June 2013. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- "Punjab police to get GPS bikes, CCTV-fitted cars soon". daily.bhaskar.com. 2 August 2012. Retrieved 30 July 2015.
- "Israeli trainers for SWAT teams of Punjab Police".
- "Family of Punjab SWAT firing victim awaits justice".
- "Punjab had formed this SWAT team in 2011 after regular threats on Punjab politicians".
- "The 28 Punjab commandos involved in Monday's operation were also trained by Mossad".
- "The state government had deployed a private company, Athena Security, to get the team trained through Israeli experts spending Rs 1.5 crore on the training".
- "Gurdaspur attack: Punjab Police SWAT team bang on target".
- "Punjab Now Has Its Own SWAT".
- "The SWAT team deployed in Dinanagar was involved in an exercise at Amritsar and therefore could be deployed in Gurdaspur immediately".
- "How Punjab's new heroes stared death in the face and came back laughing".
- "Gurdaspur attack: Punjab's SWAT team's creation bears fruit".
- "Lashkar-e-Taiba behind Gurdaspur terror attack, confirms MHA".
- Police Commemoration Day
- "paramraj singh umranangal".
- Punjab Police, IPS officers
- "Watch: Babbu Maan in Baaz". The Times of India. 5 November 2014. Retrieved 30 July 2015.