|Directed by||Maurice Tourneur|
|Produced by||Adolph Zukor|
|Written by||Charles Maigne|
|Based on||Prunella, or, Love in a Dutch Garden|
by Granville Barker and Laurence Housman
|Cinematography||John van den Broek|
|Distributed by||Famous Players-Lasky|
|June 2, 1918|
|Language||Silent (English intertitles)|
Prunella is a 1918 American silent romantic fantasy film directed by Maurice Tourneur. The film is based on the 1906 play Prunella, or, Love in a Dutch Garden by Laurence Housman and Harley Granville-Barker, and stars Marguerite Clark in the title role. Clark also starred in the 1913 Winthrop Ames produced Broadway stage production on which the film is based. The majority of the film is considered lost, with only fragments still in existence.
As described in a film magazine, Prunella (Clark), who lives in a garden with her three aunts Prim (Berwin), Prude (Harris) and Privacy (Cecil), is carefully guarded from the outside world until the day a troupe of travelling players comes to town. Pierrot (Raucourt), the leader, creeps into the garden and captivates Prunella's heart. She runs off with him and becomes his Pierrette. For two years they wander from country to country. Pierrot tires of his marriage vows and runs away. He finds what a miserable thing life is without her, and he returns to the Dutch gardens and finds her, is forgiven, and they live on, presumably in blissful happiness.
- Marguerite Clark as Prunella
- Isabel Berwin as Prim
- Nora Cecil as Privacy
- William J. Gross as The Gardener
- Marcia Harris as Prude
- Charles Hartley as The Gardener
- Arthur Kennedy as The Gardener's Boy
- Henry Leoni as Scaramel
- Jules Raucourt (Fr) as Pierrot
- A. Voorhees Wood as The Gardener
- Waldman, Harry (2008). Maurice Tourneur: The Life and Films. McFarland. pp. 75–76. ISBN 978-0-786-44085-6.
- Neale, Steve, ed. (2012). Classical Hollywood Reader. Routledge. p. 65. ISBN 978-1-135-72007-0.
- "Reviews: Prunella". Exhibitors Herald. New York City: Exhibitors Herald Company. 7 (1): 44. June 29, 1918.
- Prunella at IMDb
- Prunella at AllMovie
- Housman, Laurence, Granville-Barker, Harley, Prunella; or, Love in a Dutch Garden, New York: Duffield and Company, 1913 edition, on the Internet Archive