The Colorado Alliance of Research Libraries was established in 1974. One major purpose of the Alliance is to share resources and provide the best terms and price to its members by group purchasing. Projects of the Alliance over the years include:
- Prospector, a unified catalog of academic, public, and other libraries in Colorado and Wyoming (current)
- Gold Rush, a database of online article resources (fulltext journals and abstracts) and access options (current)
- Alliance Digital Repository, a consortial repository service supporting the preservation of, management of, and access to digital content (current)
- CARL and UnCover (historical)
Prospector also provides a faster and more convenient mechanism for interlibrary loans from member libraries, which can be ordered by patrons directly from the catalog.
CARL and UnCover
CARL started as a character-based access system to resources, in particular catalogs of participating libraries as they were being computerized, available via dialup long before the advent of World Wide Web. The CARL system eventually included a subset of Dialog. The flagship CARL product was UnCover, an article index database. UnCover provides free article search and access to the article text for a fee. CARL was spun off in 1988 into a for-profit company, later owned by Knight-Ridder and then Dialog before becoming briefly Uncover, Inc. In 2000, UnCover has been acquired by Ingenta and is now accessible as a part of Ingentaconnect.
These libraries are members of the Alliance:
|Arthur Lakes Library||Colorado School of Mines|
|Auraria Library||Community College of Denver
Metropolitan State University of Denver
University of Colorado Denver - Denver Campus
|CSU Libraries||Colorado State University|
|Denver Public Library||N/A|
|Health Sciences Library||University of Colorado Denver - Anschutz Medical Campus|
|Jefferson County Library||N/A|
|Kraemer Family Library||University of Colorado at Colorado Springs|
|Penrose Library||University of Denver|
|Regis Libraries||Regis University|
|Tomlinson Library||Colorado Mesa University|
|Tutt Library||Colorado College|
|University Libraries||University of Colorado at Boulder|
|UNC Libraries||University of Northern Colorado|
|UW Libraries||University of Wyoming|
- Colorado Alliance of Research Libraries home page. Retrieved April 2007.
- Knight-Ridder to acquire UnCover (Leticia Alvarez) SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum, 1995
- A new day dawns: KRI acquires CARL. (Knight-Ridder Information), Searcher, September, 1995
- Dialog Sells Carl And Uncover To Ward Shaw, Online Newsletter, March, 1999
- Ingenta plc 2000 Annual Report Archived 2008-08-29 at the Wayback Machine.
|This article about an organization in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article relating to library science or information science is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|