This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Active provincial party|
|Headquarters||30 Pond Street|
Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
|Ideology||Red Toryism |
|Seats in Legislature|
14 / 27
The Progressive Conservative Party of Prince Edward Island is one of three major political parties on Prince Edward Island. The party and its rival, the Liberals, have alternated in power since responsible government was granted in 1851.
The policies of the Liberals and Progressive Conservatives (PCs) are very similar. The major differences are in their allegiances to federal parties and in personalities. The PC Party began as the Conservative Party of Prince Edward Island, and changed its name in 1942 to reflect the development of the federal Progressive Conservative Party.
In October 2010, following the resignation of Binns as party leader (in 2007), a leadership election was held. Jim Bagnall became interim leader of the party in 2010 when rookie MLA Olive Crane decided to seek the permanent leadership of the party.
Crane won the PC leadership in October 2010, and served for over two years. She resigned as party leader on 31 January 2013, and was succeeded by Steven Myers as interim leader.
Rob Lantz was elected leader of the party at a leadership election on February 28, 2015 at the University of Prince Edward Island Sports Centre, but resigned on September 23, 2015 after failing to win a seat in the 2015 provincial election.
On September 17, 2018 Aylward announced his pending resignation as leader, effective upon the election of his successor on February 9, 2019.
Dennis King was elected leader of the party, succeeding Aylward.
- James Aylward, Stratford-Keppoch
- Zack Bell, Charlottetown-Winsloe
- Darlene Compton, Belfast-Murray River
- Natalie Jameson, Charlottetown-Hillsborough Park
- Cory Deagle, Montague-Kilmuir
- Jamie Fox, Borden-Kinkora
- Ernie Hudson, Alberton-Bloomfield
- Dennis King, Brackley-Hunter River
- Colin LaVie, Souris-Elmira
- Sidney MacEwen, Morell-Donagh
- Matthew MacKay, Kensington-Malpeque
- Steven Myers, Georgetown-Pownal
- Bloyce Thompson, Stanhope-Marshfield
- Brad Trivers, Rustico-Emerald
Conservative and PC leaders
- Progressive Conservative Party of Prince Edward Island leadership elections
- List of premiers of Prince Edward Island
- List of political parties in Canada
- Politics of Prince Edward Island
- Campbell, Kerry (30 December 2019). "On P.E.I., a 'different breed' of conservative government — are they 'green Tories?'". CBC News. Retrieved 31 May 2020.
- "Crane to lead P.E.I. PCs". CBC News. September 5, 2007. Retrieved 2014-04-24.
- "Bagnall named interim leader". The Guardian. June 9, 2010. Archived from the original on July 29, 2018. Retrieved 2014-04-24.
- "P.E.I. Progressive Conservative Leader Rob Lantz resigns". CBC News, September 23, 2015.
- "P.E.I. Progressive Conservatives select Jamie Fox as interim leader". cbc.ca. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- P.E.I. PCs to choose new leader Feb 9