|Born||May 22, 1971|
Bloomington, Minnesota, U.S.
|Occupation||Professional wrestling journalist|
Mixed martial arts
|Notable works||The Pro Wrestling Torch|
Wade Keller (born May 22, 1971) is an American professional wrestling journalist who runs the Pro Wrestling Torch newsletter. Keller has hosted The Wade Keller Pro Wrestling Podcast on PodcastOne since 2017.
Pro Wrestling Torch
Keller founded Pro Wrestling Torch Newsletter (aka PWTorch, or simply The Torch) in October 1987, when he was a junior in high school. The newsletter is published weekly from his Minnesota home, with the content also published to an accompanying website which was launched in 1999. Keller's work includes weekly columns, news reporting and analysis, as well as interviews in both print and audio format. He works closely with wrestlers, promoters and wrestling fans to gather the information for his features. The Pro Wrestling Torch Livecast was broadcast via BlogTalkRadio until 2017.
One of Keller's yearly features is the Torch Talk, in which he conducts interviews with wrestlers. Keller is also the host of Pro Wrestling's Ultimate Insiders, a series of interviews with prominent wrestling personalities that are released on DVD. The first edition featured Vince Russo and Ed Ferrara, former writers for WWE and WCW, while the second edition was conducted with Jeff and Matt Hardy. Another was conducted with ECW and XPW wrestler New Jack.
Keller fired 30-year PWTorch writer and senior columnist Bruce Mitchell in December 2020, after Mitchell penned a controversial online article about the death of wrestler Brodie Lee (Jon Huber). Mitchell allegedly implied that Huber had died from COVID-19, and that his wife, along with employer All Elite Wrestling (AEW), had covered up the true cause of death in order to conceal a contagion of the disease. Fellow wrestling journalist Dave Meltzer countered with a report that Huber had tested negative for COVID-19 before and during hospitalization. Mitchell stood by his column and reprinted it elsewhere, while Keller apologized to Huber's family, and noted that he was not given the opportunity to read the article before it was published.
Wade Keller also created and oversees MMA Torch, a website devoted to the world of mixed martial arts (MMA). The site has been around since the early 2000s and was one of the first sites to ever devote coverage to the world of MMA. He has interviewed Dana White, original UFC matchmaker Art Davie and UFC announcer Mike Goldberg. Before the MMA Torch website was launched, Keller's MMA coverage was included in the pages of the Pro Wrestling Torch Newsletter, including coverage of the very first UFC pay-per-view. The site provides news, interviews, analysis and opinions as well as a message board feature.
Awards and accomplishments
- George Tragos/Lou Thesz International Wrestling Institute
- Aaron Rupar (April 2, 2014). "Wade Keller: The man holding up the Pro Wrestling Torch". City Pages. Archived from the original on June 29, 2015. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- "The first Wade Keller Pro Wrestling Podcast on Podcast One with Dot Net's Jason Powell as a guest". ProWrestling.net. July 18, 2017. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- Stuever, Hank (September 12, 2002). "Wrestlers Going to the Mat For Gay Rights? Not Exactly". Retrieved December 29, 2017 – via www.WashingtonPost.com.
- "#262—Wade Keller: 30 years of wrestling journalism". ItsAllJournalism.com. July 20, 2017. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- Nason, Josh (December 30, 2020). "Brodie Lee notes: AEW signs eight-year-old son, Schiavone, tributes". Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Retrieved January 1, 2021.
- Beltrán, William (December 29, 2020). "Brodie Lee no murió de covid-19: PWTorch elimina su columna". Súper Luchas (in Spanish). Retrieved January 1, 2021.
- Johnson, Mike (December 30, 2020). "Amanda Huber, wife of Brodie Lee, strikes back at criticism calling for more 'transparency' in details behind her husband's passing". PWInsider. Retrieved January 1, 2021.
- Keller, Wade (December 29, 2020). "Editor's Note concerning a published column regarding the death of Jon Huber; PWTorch parts ways with Bruce Mitchell after 30 years". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved January 2, 2021.
- "Home". MMATorch. Retrieved December 29, 2017.
- "About Us: Our history, our staff, our exclusive features, what sets us apart from the rest". MMA Torch. April 17, 2009. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- Bixenspan, David (April 16, 2017). "Vince Russo, One Of Pro Wrestling's Biggest Bullshit Artists, Is Back Where He Started". Deadspin. Archived from the original on April 18, 2017. Retrieved July 30, 2017.
- "HOF news: PWTorch editor Wade Keller to receive Jim Melby award at National Wrestling Hall of Fame weekend". Pro Wrestling Torch. February 3, 2015. Archived from the original on February 3, 2015. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- Shelley Bonin Melby (July 13, 2015). "Torch's Wade Keller worthy of Melby Award". SLAM! Wrestling. Canadian Online Explorer. Archived from the original on July 15, 2015. Retrieved 2017-12-29.