|Industry||Celebrity charitable crowd funding|
|Founders||Bryan Baum, Leo Seigal, Andrej Pancik|
Prizeo is a privately owned internet company based in Los Angeles, California. It is an online fundraising platform that enables clients to mobilize their fan bases to raise funds and awareness for their chosen causes.
In June 2015, it was announced that Prizeo had been acquired by tech mogul Todd Wagner. The terms of the deal were not disclosed. Prizeo is a member of Wagner’s Charity Network, which is also the parent company to leading charity auction site Charitybuzz and strategy consulting firm Global Philanthropy Group.
As undergraduates at Oxford University, co-founders Bryan Baum and Leo Seigal worked with the Aloysius Society, a philanthropic group that organized high-priced charity events. The society raised $1 million running auctions, but Baum and Seigal were frustrated at the cost of their fundraising strategy and the lack of scale. In 2012 the duo teamed up with co-founder Andrej Pancik and Lukas Bosko to create Prizeo, a sweepstakes platform to help nonprofits raise funds and awareness.
In June 2013, Prizeo announced a $2.5 million seed funding round led by Battery Ventures. Other investors in the round included William Morris Endeavor, Edgar Bronfman, Jr., and ZhenFund (Sequoia Capital’s seed fund in China).
Since launching, the platform has held nearly 200 sweepstakes campaigns featuring once-in-a-lifetime experiences and raising more than $50M for hundreds of charities. Prizeo campaigns have featured celebrities such as Lin-Manuel Miranda, Ellen Degeneres, Tom Brady, Martha Stewart, Imagine Dragons, Tiger Woods, Tyler Oakley, Lady Gaga and many more.
Prizeo has been featured in publications such as The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Forbes, TechCrunch, Mashable, and The Hollywood Reporter, among others. Prizeo campaigns are consistently covered by the media, including People, Vogue, Forbes, Today, Los Angeles Times and others.
- "Todd Wagner Acquires Controlling Stake in Auction Platform Charitybuzz - Hollywood Reporter". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2015-10-11.
- Sandberg, Bryn Elise (June 23, 2015). "Todd Wagner Acquires Celebrity-Based Charity Prizeo (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter.
- Sandberg, Bryn Elise (June 23, 2015). "Todd Wagner Acquires Celebrity-Based Charity Prizeo (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter.[verification needed]
- Ha, Anthony (March 24, 2013). "Y Combinator-Backed Prizeo Helps Celebrities Tap Their Fans For Charity Fundraising". TechCrunch.
- "The New York Times". nytimes.com. Retrieved 2015-10-07.