|Prince Hamzah bin Hussein|
|Born||29 March 1980|
Princess Noor bint Asem of Jordan
(m. 2003; div. 2009)
|Father||Hussein of Jordan|
Prince Hamzah bin Hussein, OSJ (Arabic: حمزة بن الحسين) (born 29 March 1980) is the elder son of King Hussein of Jordan and his American-born fourth wife, Queen Noor. He was named Crown Prince of Jordan in 1999, a position he held until his half-brother, King Abdullah II, rescinded it in 2004. Queen Noor states in her autobiography that she and King Hussein named Hamzah after Hamza ibn ‘Abd al-Muttalib.
Born on 29 March 1980, Prince Hamzah ibn Al Hussein claims ancestry with the Islamic Prophet Mohammad through the Hashemite family. King Abdullah II officially named him as Crown Prince of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan on 7 February 1999, a position he held until 28 November 2004.
Prince Hamzah received his elementary education in Jordan and Amman, and then attended Harrow School in England. He then joined the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, passing out as a commissioned officer in the Jordan Arab Legion in December 1999, with a number of prizes including the Sandhurst Overseas Sword, granted to the best overseas cadet and the HRH Prince Saud Abdullah Prize, presented to the cadet with the best aggregate mark in academic subjects.
Serving then as an officer in the Jordan Arab Army’s 40th Armored Brigade, Prince Hamzah attended a number of military courses and attachments in Jordan, the UK, Poland, Germany and the US. Currently holding the rank of Colonel in the Jordan Arab Army, he served with the Jordan-United Arab Emirates force operating in former Yugoslavia under the umbrella of international peacekeepers. In the year 2006, he graduated from Harvard University.
Prince Hamzah was sworn in as Regent on numerous occasions and deputized for King Abdullah II on a number of missions in the Kingdom and abroad. He heads the Royal Advisory Committee on the Energy Sector. He is also the Honorary President of the Jordan Basketball Federation, and is the Chairman of the board of trustees of the Royal Automobile Museum, the President of the Royal Aero sports Club of Jordan and the President of Al-Shajarah (Tree) Protection Society.
Prince Hamzah is a qualified rotor and fixed wing aircraft pilot and enjoys other sports such as Jujitsu and target-shooting.
The prince attended Harrow, UK, and graduated from Harvard University in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA. He also graduated from the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, UK. He has conducted a variety of courses as a Lieutenant Colonel in the Arab Jordanian Army.
On 7 February 1999 King Hussein died and his eldest son Prince Abdullah bin Hussein acceded to the throne of Jordan, having two weeks previously been designated to succeed his father as ruler in place of the king's brother, Crown Prince Hassan bin Talal. On the same day, in compliance with his father's wish, King Abdullah II decreed that he, in turn, would be succeeded not by a son of his own but by his half-brother, Prince Hamzah, who was therefore accorded the title of crown prince.
Nearly six years later, on 28 November 2004, King Abdullah removed Hamzah as crown prince. In a letter from Abdullah to Hamzah, read on Jordanian state television, he said, "Your holding this symbolic position has restrained your freedom and hindered our entrusting you with certain responsibilities that you are fully qualified to undertake."
No successor to the title was named at the time, but some analysts believed it probable that Abdullah intended to name his own son, Prince Hussein, to succeed him at some point in the future. Article 28(B) of Jordan's constitution provides that the king's eldest son automatically succeeds to the crown upon the monarch's death unless the king has designated one of his brothers to inherit the throne as crown prince, but Abdullah II confirmed that his son Hussein would succeed him by designating him as crown prince on 2 July 2009.
Marriage and family
Prince Hamzah married his second cousin, Princess Noor bint Asem bin Nayef, at Al Baraka Palace in Amman on 29 August 2003. The official wedding was held on 27 May 2004. Prince Hamzah and Princess Noor divorced on 9 September 2009. The couple had one daughter:
- Princess Haya bint Hamzah (born 18 April 2007)
On 12 January 2012, Prince Hamzah married Basmah Bani Ahmad. The couple has 4 daughters:
- Princess Zein bint Hamzah (born 3 November 2012)
- Princess Noor bint Hamzah (born 5 July 2014)
- Princess Badiya bint Hamzah (born 8 April 2016)
- Princess Nafisa bint Hamzah (born 7 February 2018)
Prince Hamzah's interests include piloting helicopters, shooting, parachuting, sky diving, motorcycling, and practicing some water sports. Brazilian jiu-jitsu is among his interests. He also spends time reading, particularly history books and biographies.
- Jordan: Knight Grand Cordon of the Supreme Order of the Renaissance, Special Class
- Jordan: Knight Grand Cordon of the Order of the Star of Jordan
- Jordan: Knight Grand Cordon of the Order of Independence
- Jordan: Knight Officer of the Order of Military Merit
- Jordan: Recipient of the Al-Hussein Medal of Excellence, 1st Class
- Jordan: Recipient of the Administrative & Leadership Competence Medal
- Jordan: Recipient of the Administrative & Technical Competence Medal
- Jordan: Recipient of the Administrative & Training Competence Medal
- Bahrain Recipient of the Medal of Ahmad Al-Fateh
- Italy: Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic
- Norway: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Saint Olav
- Netherlands: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Orange-Nassau
|Ancestors of Prince Hamzah bin Hussein|
- "The Official Site of HRH Prince Hamzah bin al Hussein: Birth". Retrieved 3 January 2009.
- "Royal Automobile Museum". Archived from the original on 14 June 2004. Retrieved 3 January 2009.
- "Al-Shajarah". Retrieved 3 January 2009.
- "Jordan's King Abdullah names teenage son as heir". Haaretz. Associated Press. 2 July 2009. Retrieved 27 March 2017.
- "Jordan crown prince loses title". BBC News. 29 November 2004. Retrieved 27 March 2017.
- "Constitution: Article 28". The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan. Retrieved 27 March 2017.
- "Jordan's Crown Prince Hamzah Weds". Hello Magazine. 2 September 2003. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- "صور عقد قران الامير حم& صورة وخبر | وكالة عمون الاخبارية". Ammon news. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- "Embassy of The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan". Jordan Embassy. 13 January 2012. Retrieved 22 December 2012.
- "Prince Hamzah, Princess Basma blessed with a daughter". Jordan News Agency (Petra). Archived from the original on 14 July 2014. Retrieved 6 July 2014.
- "The Official Site of HRH Prince Hamzah bin al Hussein: Personal Interests". Retrieved 3 January 2009.
- Hamzah's Biography, © 1998, The Royal Hashemite Court
- Hamzah Wearing all his national honours
- Hamzah Wearing the Ribbon Bars of his honours
- Hamzah Wearing and Order and Medals
- Italian Presidency Website, S.A.R. Principe Ereditario HAMZAH BIN AL HUSSEIN
Abdullah bin Hussein
| Crown Prince of Jordan
Hussein bin Al Abdullah
|Lines of succession|
Prince Abdullah bin Ali
| Line of succession to the Jordanian throne
Prince Hashim bin Al Hussein