|Born||18 June 1781|
Royal Palace, Kingdom of Naples
|Died||19 February 1783 (aged 2)|
Caserta Palace, Kingdom of Naples
|House||House of Bourbon|
|Father||Ferdinand IV of Naples|
|Mother||Maria Carolina of Austria|
Giuseppe of Naples and Sicily (Giuseppe Carlo Gennaro; 18 June 1781 – 19 February 1783) was the first" Prince of Naples and Sicily". He died of smallpox aged 20 months, the title was later conferred by Joseph Bonaparte to be hereditary on his children and grandchildren.
A member of the House of Bourbon, he was a Prince of Naples and Sicily by birth.
He was the ninth child of his parents and their fourth son. At the time of his birth, he was third in line to the throne after his brother Prince Francis, then Duke of Calabria and Prince Gennaro. His oldest brother Carlo, Duke of Calabria (d.1778) died of smallpox aged 3 and the next in line, Francis became heir apparent.
His sisters included the future Holy Roman Empress, Grand Duchess of Tuscany. His younger sister's Princess Maria Cristina, was the wife of the future Charles Felix of Sardinia and Queen of Sardinia; Maria Cristina's twin Princess Maria Cristina Amelia died in 1783 of smallpox. Another sister was the Queen of the French and the youngest was the future Princess of Asturias.
At the age of two the prince caught smallpox which eventually killed him. He died at the Caserta Palace and was buried at the Basilica of Santa Chiara, Naples; his sister Princess Maria Cristina Amelia died a week after Giuseppe did.
|Ancestors of Prince Giuseppe of Naples and Sicily|
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles Descendants of Title and styles
- 18 June 1781 – 19 February 1783 His Royal Highness Prince Giuseppe of Naples and Sicily, Title also conferred by King Joseph Bonaparte ( 1808)- 1811) in Italian law.
References and notes
- va des Pas, Leo. "Prince Giuseppe Carlo Gennaro of Naples and Sicily". Genealogics.org. Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- Dyson. C.C, The Life of Marie Amelie Last Queen of the French, 1782-1866, BiblioBazaar, LLC, 2008, p. 33.
- They were the parents of the famous duchesse de Berry
- Genealogie ascendante jusqu'au quatrieme degre inclusivement de tous les Rois et Princes de maisons souveraines de l'Europe actuellement vivans [Genealogy up to the fourth degree inclusive of all the Kings and Princes of sovereign houses of Europe currently living] (in French). Bourdeaux: Frederic Guillaume Birnstiel. 1768. pp. 1, 9.