|Primary peritoneal carcinoma|
|Micrograph of a serous carcinoma, which may arise from the peritoneal lining|
Primary peritoneal cancer or carcinoma is also known as serous surface papillary carcinoma, primary peritoneal carcinoma, extra-ovarian serous carcinoma, primary serous papillary carcinoma, psammomacarcinoma. It was historically classified under "carcinoma of unknown primary" (CUP). Primary peritoneal cancer (PPC, or PPCa) is a cancer of the cells lining the peritoneum, or abdominal cavity.
Histomorphological and molecular biological characteristics suggest that serous carcinomas, which include ovarian serous carcinoma, uterine serous carcinoma, Fallopian tube serous carcinoma, cervical serous carcinoma, and primary peritoneal serous carcinoma really represent one entity.
Although the precise causes are not known, a link with certain variants of BRCA1/2 has been described. Furthermore, women with BRCA1/2 mutation have a 5% risk of developing primary peritoneal cancer even after prophylactic oophorectomy.
The median survival of primary peritoneal carcinomas is usually shorter by 2–6 months time when compared with serous ovarian cancer. Studies show median survival varies between 11.3–17.8 months. One study reported 19-40 month median survival (95% CI) with a 5-year survival of 26.5%.
Elevated albumin levels have been associated with a more favorable prognosis.
- Jaaback KS, Ludeman L, Clayton NL, Hirschowitz L (2006). "Primary peritoneal carcinoma in a UK cancer center: comparison with advanced ovarian carcinoma over a 5-year period". Int. J. Gynecol. Cancer. 16 Suppl 1: 123–8. doi:10.1111/j.1525-1438.2006.00474.x. PMID 16515579.
- Dubeau, L. (Dec 2008). "The cell of origin of ovarian epithelial tumours". Lancet Oncol. 9 (12): 1191–7. doi:10.1016/S1470-2045(08)70308-5. PMC 4176875. PMID 19038766.
- "Gynecologic Cancer Treatment — Primary Peritoneal Cancer — Dana-Farber Cancer Institute".
- Burger RA, Sill MW, Monk BJ, Greer BE, Sorosky JI (November 2007). "Phase II trial of bevacizumab in persistent or recurrent epithelial ovarian cancer or primary peritoneal cancer: a Gynecologic Oncology Group Study". J. Clin. Oncol. 25 (33): 5165–71. doi:10.1200/JCO.2007.11.5345. PMID 18024863.
- "New Drug Combination for Ovarian and Primary Peritoneal Cancers - National Cancer Institute".
- "eMedicine — Peritoneal Cancer : Article by Wissam Bleibel".
- Alphs HH, Zahurak ML, Bristow RE, Díaz-Montes TP (December 2006). "Predictors of surgical outcome and survival among elderly women diagnosed with ovarian and primary peritoneal cancer". Gynecol. Oncol. 103 (3): 1048–53. doi:10.1016/j.ygyno.2006.06.019. PMID 16876237.