|Location||Presque Isle State Park, Erie, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Year first constructed||1872|
|Year first lit||1873|
|Markings / pattern||White|
|Tower height||68 ft (21 m)|
|Focal height||73 ft (22 m)|
|Original lens||4th order Fresnel|
|Range||16 nmi (18 mi; 30 km)|
|Characteristic||Iso W 6s|
|Heritage||place listed on the National Register of Historic Places|
|Designated||August 4, 1983|
|Part of||United States Coast Guard Lighthouses and Light Stations on the Great Lakes Thematic Resource|
The Presque Isle Light is one of three lighthouses on Lake Erie in U.S. state of Pennsylvania. The lighthouse is located on the northern shore of Presque Isle State Park, near Erie. It was built in 1872 and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
Its construction began in 1872, and the light was first lit on July 12, 1873. It was originally 40 feet (12 m) tall before the tower was raised to its current height in 1896. Its original light characteristic, two red flashes followed by four white flashes, was changed to an alternating red and white flash when it was electrified in the 1920s. The Presque Isle Light was commonly known as the "flashlight" to locals. In 1962, the station was fully automated and the characteristic was changed to a 3 second-on, 3 second-off white light.
The Presque Isle Light was added to the National Register of Historic Places on August 4, 1983 as part of a group listing of lighthouses and light stations operated by the United States Coast Guard on the Great Lakes. The light station is open to public tours from Memorial Day through Labor Day on weekends, weather permitting (see presqueislelighthouse.org).
- List of lighthouses in the United States
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Erie County, Pennsylvania
- Hyde, Charles K (October 15, 1979). "United States Coast Lighthouses and Light Stations on the Great Lakes" (PDF). National Register of Historic Places Inventory—Nomination Form. National Park Service. Retrieved August 25, 2013.
- Oleszewski, Wes (1998). Great Lakes Lighthouses, American and Canadian: A Comprehensive Directory / Guide to Great Lakes Lighthouses. Gwinn, MI: Avery Color Studios. ISBN 0-932212-98-0.
- United States Coast Guard (1957). Historically Famous Lighthouses. Washington, DC: Government Printing Office.
- Wright, Larry; Patricia Wright (2006). Great Lakes Lighthouses Encyclopedia. Erin, ON: Boston Mills Press. ISBN 1-55046-399-3.
Media related to Presque Isle Light (Pennsylvania) at Wikimedia Commons