Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park
|Location||Prairie Grove, Arkansas|
|Area||707.8 acres (286.4 ha)|
|NRHP reference No.||70000133 (original)|
92001523 (increase 1)
05001167 (increase 2)
|Added to NRHP||September 4, 1970|
|Boundary increases||November 09, 1992|
October 27, 2005
Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park is an Arkansas state park located next to Prairie Grove. It commemorates the Battle of Prairie Grove, fought December 7, 1862, in the American Civil War. The battle secured northwestern Arkansas for the Union.
The portion of the park within a 64-acre (26 ha) triangle formed by North Rd. on the NW and U.S. 62 on the S was first listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970. The area of this district was increased in 1992 to 65.8 acres (26.6 ha) and then again in 2005 to 707.8 acres (286.4 ha). Prominent features of the park include its battle monument, a chimney carefully relocated here from the site of a skirmish, and the Hindman Museum, bequested by Biscoe Hindman, the grandson of General Thomas C. Hindman who commanded the Confederate forces in the battle.
- List of Arkansas state parks
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Washington County, Arkansas
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. March 13, 2009.
- "NRHP nomination for Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park (original nomination)" (PDF). Arkansas Preservation. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- Kutter, Lynn. "Park Staff Stay Busy In Downtime". Washington County Enterprise-Leader. 80 (49). Farmington, AR: Northwest Arkansas Newspapers LLC. pp. 1, 8A. Retrieved December 24, 2020.
- Bowden, Bill (November 20, 2015). "Arkansas phone booth is first of its kind to make National Register of Historic Places". Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. WEHCO Media. Retrieved November 20, 2015.
Media related to Prairie Grove Battlefield State Park at Wikimedia Commons
|This article about a property in Washington County, Arkansas on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|