Prabhas in 2019
23 October 1979
|Alma mater||Sri Chaitanya College, Hyderabad|
|Relatives||Krishnam Raju (uncle)|
Uppalapati Venkata Suryanarayana Prabhas Raju (born 23 October 1979), known mononymously as Prabhas, is an Indian actor who works predominantly in Telugu films. One of the highest-paid actors of Indian cinema, Prabhas has featured in Forbes India's Celebrity 100 list three times since 2015 based on his income and popularity. He has received seven Filmfare Awards South nominations and is a recipient of the Nandi Award and the SIIMA Award.
Prabhas made his acting debut with the 2002 Telugu drama Eeswar, and later attained his breakthrough with the romantic action film Varsham (2004). His notable works include Chatrapathi (2005), Bujjigadu (2008), Billa (2009), Darling (2010), Mr. Perfect (2011), and Mirchi (2013). Prabhas won the state Nandi Award for Best Actor for his performance in Mirchi.
In 2015, Prabhas starred in the title role in S. S. Rajamouli's epic action film Baahubali: The Beginning, which is the fourth-highest-grossing Indian film to date. He later reprised his role in its sequel, Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017), which became the first Indian film ever to gross over ₹1,000 crore (US$155 million) in all languages in just ten days, and is the second highest-grossing Indian film to date.
In addition to acting in films, Prabhas supports many humanitarian causes. He is also the brand ambassador for the Mahindra TUV300. He is the first South Indian actor to receive a wax sculpture at Madame Tussaud's wax museum.
Prabhas was born to film producer U. Suryanarayana Raju and his wife Siva Kumari. He has two siblings, a brother named Prabodh and a sister Pragathi. He is the youngest of the three children. He is the nephew of Telugu actor Uppalapati Krishnam Raju. Prabhas attended the DNR School, Bhimavaram and graduated with a B.Tech. degree from Sri Chaitanya College, Hyderabad.
Prabhas started his movie career with Eeswar in 2002. In 2003, he was the lead in Raghavendra. In 2004, he appeared in Varsham. He continued his career with Adavi Raamudu and Chakram. In 2005 he acted in the film Chatrapathi directed by S. S. Rajamouli, in which he portrays the role of a refugee, exploited by goons. It had a 100-day run in 54 centers. Idlebrain stated that he had a unique style and macho charm in his screen presence. Later he acted in Pournami, Yogi and Munna, an action-drama film came out in 2007, followed by the action-comedy Bujjigadu in 2008. In 2009 his two films were Billa and Ek Niranjan. Indiaglitz called Billa stylish and visually rich.
In 2010 he appeared in the romantic comedy Darling. The film opened to positive reviews. The Times of India gave a two and half star rating explaining "Director Karunakaran extracts good performances from his actors, but can't come up with a refreshing plot. It looks like the director hasn't really come out of his Tholi Prema hangover as he dishes out yet another one-sided love saga but fails to come up with a valid and logical reason to make a Gen Z lad to hold back his feelings for his lover until the last moment. However, he compensates it all, by adding loads of fun moments in the film and the screenplay does have its share of some touching moments." In 2011, Mr. Perfect, another romantic comedy.The review site GreatAndhra rated the film with three stars and noted "The film comes across as a clean, family entertainer and the intention of the makers must be appreciated.
In 2012, Prabhas starred in Rebel, an action film directed by Raghava Lawrence. His next film was Mirchi. He rendered voice for a short cameo for the film Denikaina Ready. Sashidhar from The Times of India stated, "The film belongs to hard-core Prabhas fans as the movie is stylish and visually rich but not much in content". Purnima Ranawat from NDTV said, "Rebel serves up fare for the mass audience. The film will be definitely liked by Prabhas' fans. Watch it for the dancing talent of Tamannaah Bhatia and action skills of Prabhas." Radhika Rajamani from Rediff.com gave the movie one and half stars out of five and said, "Working with hardly any storyline, director Raghava Lawrence had made a film that is arduous to watch... Rebel is a movie for the masses and certainly not for the discerning audience."
Jeevi gave a rating of 3.25 out of 5, commenting that "First half of Mirchi is decent. Flashback episode which occupies 100% of second half is good. Climax could have been better. The plus points of the film are Prabhas, music and all-round orientation. On a whole, Mirchi has all the ingredients of a commercial potboiler". Mahesh S Koneru gave his verdict that "At the Box Office, the film will turn in a good commercial performance", giving the film a score of 3.25/5. Way2movies also gave a rating of 3.25/5, giving the verdict that "Prabhas rocks the show in this decent yet formulaic commercial entertainer". Super good movies gave the film 3 stars in a scale of 5, reviewing that "Go and Watch Mirchi, It entertains both Class and Mass. It is a worth watch."
In 2015 he appeared as Shivudu/Mahendra Baahubali and Amarendra Baahubali in S.S. Rajamouli's epic Baahubali: The Beginning which is the fourth-highest-grossing Indian film to date. Prabhas reprised his role in its sequel, Baahubali 2: The Conclusion (2017), which became the first Indian film ever to gross over ₹1,000 crore (US$155 million) in all languages in just ten days, and it is the second highest-grossing Indian film to date. Prabhas won the SIIMA Award for Best Actor (Telugu) for his performance in The Conclusion.
As of January 2021, Prabhas has two films under production, namely the romantic drama Radhe Shyam, and the Prashanth Neel-directed action film Salaar. Further, Prabhas has signed two other films. He would play the titular role in Aadipurush, an adaptation of the Hindu epic Ramayana. The film helmed by director Om Raut also stars Saif Ali Khan. Prabhas is committed to feature alongside Deepika Padukone and Amitabh Bachchan for Nag Ashwin's untitled sci fi film.
|Denotes films that have not yet been released|
|Chatrapathi||Siva / Chatrapathi[a]||Telugu|
|2007||Yogi||Eeswar Prasad / Yogi[a]||Telugu|
|2008||Bujjigadu||Bujji / Linga Raju / Rajinikanth[a]||Telugu|
|2009||Billa||Billa / Ranga[b]||Telugu|
|2012||Rebel||Rishi / Rebel[a]||Telugu|
|Denikaina Ready||Himself||Telugu||Voice role; cameo appearance|
|2014||Action Jackson||Himself||Hindi||Special appearance|
|2015||Baahubali: The Beginning||Mahendra Baahubali / Shivudu / Shivu
|2017||Baahubali 2: The Conclusion|
|2019||Saaho||Ashok Chakravarthy / Siddhant Nandan Saaho[a]||Hindi
Awards and nominations
Prabhas at MAMI 18th Mumbai film festival
- "Rapid Fire round with Prabhas and Shraddha Kapoor during Saaho Dubai promotions". YouTube. Retrieved 7 September 2020.
time 3:00 to 3:20
- "15 Interesting Facts About Prabhas You Should Know Before Calling Yourself His Biggest Fan!". India Times. 13 May 2017. Retrieved 14 May 2017.
His full name is .
- "Happy birthday Prabhas: Six lesser known facts about the Baahubali actor". Indian Express. 23 October 2016. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
Actor Prabhas turned 37 on Sunday.
- "Prabhas - Forbes India Magazine". Forbes India.
- "2017 Celebrity 100 - Forbes India Magazine". Forbes India.
- "Prabhas - Forbes India Magazine". Forbes India.
- "India's most expensive film?". Hindustan Times. 15 July 2013.
- "Bahubali wins national award for Best Film". The Times of India. 28 March 2016. Retrieved 28 April 2016.
- "Prabhas adopts 1650 acres of forest land in Khazipally: Donates Rs 2 crore for eco-park development - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "Baahubali 2 star Prabhas becomes first South Indian actor to get a wax statue at Madame Tussauds. See pics". Indian Express. 2 May 2017.
- TNM Staff (16 March 2016). "Actor Prabhas's brother sentenced to one year imprisonment in cheque bounce case". The News Minute. Retrieved 8 January 2019.
- DNA Web Team (9 August 2017). "'Baahubali' star Prabhas' sister Pragathi reveals his marriage plans". DNA. Retrieved 8 January 2019.
- Rashmi Mishra (26 May 2018). "Bahubali 2 Movie Star Cast Educational Qualifications: Prabhas, Anushka Shetty & others are a studious bunch of actors!". India.com. Retrieved 8 January 2019.
- "Prabhas Profile". forbesindia. 25 December 2005. Retrieved 1 May 2017.
- Chatrapati – Telugu cinema – 100 days centers – Prabhas & Shriya Archived 13 September 2015 at the Wayback Machine. Idlebrain.com. Retrieved on 28 April 2016.
- Chatrapati – Telugu cinema Review – Prabhas, Shriya. Idlebrain.com (29 September 2005). Retrieved on 28 April 2016.
- Billa review. Billa Telugu movie review, story, rating. IndiaGlitz.com (3 April 2009). Retrieved on 28 April 2016.
- "Darling Review". The Times of India. Retrieved 24 April 2010.
- "'Mr Perfect' Review: Perfect With Slight Imperfection". greatandhra. Retrieved 21 April 2011.
- Sashidhar AS (12 September 2012). "Denikaina Ready audio on Sep 23". The Times of India.
- "Prabhas' Rebel Telugu movie review highlights". The Times of India. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "Rebel movie review". New Delhi: NDTV. Archived from the original on 30 September 2012. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- Rajamani, Radhika. "Review: Rebel is for the masses". Rediff. Retrieved 29 September 2012.
- "Telugu Movie review – Mirchi". Idlebrain.com. Archived from the original on 21 October 2013. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- "Review : Mirchi – Decent but not Spicy". 123telugu.com. 8 February 2013. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- "Mirchi Movie Review". Way2movies. Retrieved 29 October 2013.
- "Mirchi Movie Review". Super Good Movies. Archived from the original on 17 February 2013. Retrieved 23 February 2013.
- Oops... 'PK' Is Not Actually India's Top-Grossing Movie Ever. Forbes.com (14 August 2015). Retrieved on 28 April 2016.
- "'Baahubali' Zooms Past 'Dhoom', Now India's All Time #3". Forbes.
- Mike McCahill (12 July 2015). "Baahubali: The Beginning review – fantastic bang for your buck in most expensive Indian movie ever made". The Guardian.
- "Bahubali 2 Hits 1000 Crore Worldwide In Ten Days - Box Office India". www.boxofficeindia.com.
- "Baahubali 2's Rs 1000 crore collection: How SS Rajamouli's film achieved its box office numbers- Entertainment News, Firstpost". First Post. 8 May 2017.
- Baahubali 2 Creates History, Becomes First Indian Movie Ever To Collect Rs 1,000 Crore. Ndtv.com (30 April 2017). Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- "SIIMA AWARDS | 2018 | winners | |". siima.in. Retrieved 2 June 2020.
- Hooli, Shekhar H. (31 August 2019). "This is why negative reviews won't affect Saaho box office collection for 3 days". www.ibtimes.co.in. Retrieved 12 January 2021.
- "Top Grossers All Formats Worldwide Gross". www.boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 12 January 2021.
- "Prabhas' look from the sets of 'Salaar' leaked online: Fans go berserk". The Times of India. 30 January 2021. Retrieved 30 January 2021.
- "From Salaar to Adipurush - here's a look at all the upcoming films of Prabhas". Times Now. Retrieved 12 January 2021.
- "Mahindra TUV300: Baahubali actor Prabhas makes his TVC debut". 3 October 2015. Archived from the original on 30 March 2019. Retrieved 7 December 2018.
- Sashidhar AS (13 January 2013). "Rajamouli-Prabhas' film is titled Bahubali". The Times of India.
- "Baahubali Prabhas's next film is Saaho, will have action by Transformers' stuntman". Hindustan Times. 23 April 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- "Jaan: Director Radha Krishna Kumar opens up about Prabhas and Pooja Hegde's film". India Today. 28 January 2020. Retrieved 6 March 2020.
- "Shruti to romance Prabhas in 'Salaar'". Sify. Retrieved 22 February 2021.
- "Prabhas's upcoming 'Adipurush' goes on floors". The News Minute. 2 February 2021. Retrieved 6 February 2021.
- World, Republic. "Prabhas has won multiple awards in his career. Here's a list". Republic World. Retrieved 2 June 2020.
- "Telugu Cinema function - Santosham Film Awards 2004". www.idlebrain.com. Retrieved 3 June 2020.
- "Lux Cinemaa awards 2011 - Telugu cinema". www.idlebrain.com. Retrieved 3 June 2020.
- "Nandi Best Actor". Times Of India. 2 March 2017. Retrieved 2 March 2019.
- Hooli, Shekhar H. (4 July 2016). "Why did 'Bahubali' star Prabhas not get best actor award from SIIMA, Filmfare, IIFA Utsavam?". International Business Times, India Edition. Retrieved 2 June 2020.
- "IBNLive Movie Awards 2016: Nominees for Best Actor (South)". News18. 3 February 2016. Retrieved 3 June 2020.
- "Santosham Film Awards 2016 Winners". Santosham Film Awards. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- "Prabhas - Best Telugu Actor in Leading Role Male Nominee | Filmfare Awards". filmfare.com. Retrieved 2 June 2020.
- "Highest Grossing Debut Actor". Koimoi. 17 February 2020. Retrieved 17 February 2020.
- "Highest Grossing Debut Actor". Iwmbuzz. 17 February 2020. Retrieved 17 February 2020.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Prabhas.|