Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Seth Henrikson|
|Written by||Daniel Meyer|
|Music by||Brando Triantafillou|
|Distributed by||Echo Bridge|
Pottersville is a 2017 American comedy film directed by Seth Henrikson and written by Daniel Meyer. The film stars Michael Shannon, Judy Greer, Thomas Lennon, Ron Perlman, Christina Hendricks, and Ian McShane. The film was released on November 10, 2017, by Echo Bridge.
Maynard Grieger is a general store owner in Pottersville, a fictional small town that is struggling since the Pottersville Mill closed. Returning home early from work to surprise his wife, Connie, he finds that she is a furry, along with Jack, the sheriff. Connie states that she needs more excitement in her life, and would like some time apart from Maynard. Maynard drunkenly returns to his store, and after telling his story to his cashier, Parker, dresses up in a gorilla costume and walks around town, startling many individuals. The next morning, Maynard awakes to find that he was misidentified as Bigfoot. Intending to confess, Maynard realizes the potential economic benefits from tourism that Bigfoot may bring, and perpetuates the story by continuing to dress up.
As the hype continues to grow about Bigfoot, the town is visited by Brock Masterson, the host of a monster-hunting reality television show. Although Brock pretends to be finding evidence of Bigfoot for his show, he is privately skeptical of its existence. After encountering Maynard, in costume, Brock becomes scared to continue, and wishes to leave town. He decides to continue his search for Bigfoot with the help of Jack and Bart, a local hunter. Back in town, Parker discovers that Maynard has been dressing up as Bigfoot, and attempts to disuade him from dressing up again, for fear that Bart will shoot him. Maynard decides to dress up again, and is captured by Brock.
Brock brings "Bigfoot" back to town, where Parker reveals that it is Maynard in a gorilla suit. Brock announces his intention to sue the town, and Maynard is forced to close his store by the angry citizens. Parker meets with the townspeople, and shows them that Maynard simply wishes to help the town; his ledger that he ostensibly used to keep an account of purchases by them, on credit, is left blank. The townspeople forgive Maynard, and proceed to his store to apologize and pay their debts. Connie forgives Maynard and asks him to take her back, but he refuses. Brock is discovered to be a fraud, and fired from his television show. Realizing the global interest in Bigfoot, Maynard and Parker reopen the Pottersville Mill as a museum about Bigfoot. as Maynard and Parker kiss they hear an ominous howl in the distance.
- Michael Shannon as Maynard Greiger
- Judy Greer as Parker
- Ron Perlman as Sheriff Jack
- Thomas Lennon as Brock Masterson
- Christina Hendricks as Connie Greiger
- Ian McShane as Bart
- Michael Torpey as Norm
- Blake Perlman as Tammy Henderson
- Elena Hurst as Stacy Gutierrez
- Timothy Davis-Reed as John Logan
- Mary Ashley as Sue
- Julian Lerner as Samuel
Pottersville was filmed in Hamilton and Syracuse, New York. Six students from nearby Colgate University received internships for the production, and one faculty member served as an extra in the film. Principal photography ended in May 2016.
Pottersville features a mix of classic Christmas tunes. The Pottersville (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) was released December 15th, 2017.
|1||Sleigh Ride||The Andrew Sisters||3:05|
|2||Oh My Yeti||Tom Lennon||1:16|
|3||Joy to The World||Gene Autry||1:58|
|4||Christmas Time||The Debbonaires||2:51|
|5||Jingle Bells||Carte Blanche||2:49|
|6||Deck The Halls||The Mantovani Orchestra||2:44|
|7||O Christmas Tree||The Mantovani Orchestra||2:30|
|8||The Furry Hoedown||Brando Triantafillou||2:22|
|9||Baby it's Cold Outside||Carte Blanche||3:38|
|10||Silent Night||Kitty Wells||3:21|
|11||Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer||Rosemary Clooney||2:22|
- Hipes, Patrick (2016-05-09). "'Pottersville' Movie: Ron Perlman & Michael Shannon Film Wraps In Upstate NY". Deadline. Retrieved 2017-05-23.
- Herbert, Geoff (November 13, 2017). "'Pottersville' reviews: Movie filmed in CNY doomed for streaming, DVD bins?". Syracuse.com. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- Mayne, Aleta (2016). "Making Movie Magic". The Colgate Scene. Colgate University. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- Barsanti, Sam (2016-05-09). "Ron Perlman, Michael Shannon, and Thomas Lennon are making a Bigfoot movie". Avclub.com. Retrieved 2017-05-23.
- Daniel, Emily (October 19, 2017). "'Pottersville' returns to Hamilton for November premiere". Colgate University. Retrieved October 1, 2018.
- Stefansky, Emma (November 2, 2017). "MICHAEL SHANNON IS MISTAKEN FOR BIGFOOT IN THE TOTALLY BIZARRE 'POTTERSVILLE' TRAILER". Screen Crush. Retrieved November 2, 2017.
- "Pottersville". Apple Trailers. Retrieved November 2, 2017.
- "Various Artists Pottersville (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - Google Search". g.co. Retrieved 2018-01-17.