Porto San Giorgio
|Comune di Porto San Giorgio|
Porto San Giorgio plaza
Comune location in the Province of Fermo
|• Mayor||Nicola Loira (PD)|
|• Total||8.58 km2 (3.31 sq mi)|
|Elevation||4 m (13 ft)|
(31 December 2016)
|• Density||1,900/km2 (4,800/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||St. George|
|Saint day||April 23)|
Porto San Giorgio is a comune (town or municipality) in the Province of Fermo, in the Marche region of Italy. It has approximately 16,000 inhabitants and it is located on the coast of the Adriatic Sea.
Already famous at the times of Pliny the Elder as Navale Firmanorum and cited by Strabo and in the Tabula Peutingeriana as Castrum Firmanorum (Citadel of Fermo), it was bound to the development of the port of Fermo, probably situated to the estuary of the Ete river and connected to the city of Fermo by the Pompeiana road.
The Chiesa di San Giorgio was completed in 1834. Tiepolo Fortress: It was built in 1267 by Lorenzo Tiepolo.
- Silvia Ballestra, writer, was born here in 1969
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Porto San Giorgio.|
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- L'Universo (in Italian). Istituto geografico militare. 1980. p. 293.
- Atti del XXXVIII Convegno di studi maceratesi, Abbadia di Fiastra, Tolentino, 23-24 Novembre 2002 (in Italian). Centro di studi storici maceratesi. 2004. p. 138.
|This Marche location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|