- May 14
- 1860 – The Staten Island Railway is extended to Annadale.
- 1951 – Talyllyn Railway (pictured) in Wales is reopened by the Talyllyn Railway Preservation Society, which is generally recognized to be the first such voluntary body to operate a railway.
- 1994 – W. Graham Claytor Jr., president of Southern Railway 1967–1977, president of Amtrak 1982–1993, dies (b. 1912).
- 1999 – The first section of the London Underground Jubilee Line Extension opens between Stratford and North Greenwich in east London.
- Leigh, Irvin; Matus, Paul (January 2002). "Staten Island Rapid Transit: The Essential History". thethirdrail.net. The Third Rail Online. Retrieved 27 June 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)