This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Port Richmond High School|
85 St Josephs Ave.
Port Richmond High School is a public high school on the North Shore of Staten Island, New York City, New York. It is technically located in the Elm Park neighborhood, rather than in Port Richmond, located at 85 St Josephs Avenue, between Innis Street and Charles Avenue. It has approximately 100 full-time teachers and a student-to-teacher ratio of 21.5.
There are periods 0–9 in this school. Freshmen are usually 1–8, while some are 2–9. Period 0 is used for JROTC and college prep classes. The Gateway to Higher Education, Collegiate, Culinary Arts, JROTC, Medical Technology, as well as several other programs are located in the school.
The school was founded in 1928.
On June 25, 2018, Oneatha Swinton was removed from her position as principal after being charged with insurance fraud. She was accused of ending the honors program, misappropriation of the school budget, cronyism, as well as various other charges by the staff, parents and the community.
The school is diverse, at 24.3% White, 30.6% Black, 7.0% Asian, and 37.8% Hispanic. Over half of the students receive a free or discounted lunch. In 2011–12, the school has significantly more freshman students than any other grade — nearly twice as many freshman as sophomores, and nearly half the total population is freshmen; juniors and seniors (combined) represented only one-third of the population.
National Honors Society (ARISTA)
Any student in the third or fourth year who has attained an average of 90% or over the preceding year, and has met the service requirements by giving service to the school and the community is eligible for nomination to the National Honors Society. An overall average below ninety will result in probation and eventually removal from the program.
- Jeffrey Citron, Chairman of Vonage
- David Johansen, aka Buster Poindexter, singer/songwriter, founder New York Dolls
- Steven Matteo, New York City Councilman
- Debi Rose, New York City Councilwoman. She was Vice President of her senior class.
- Bill Shakespeare, College Football Hall of Famer
- Paul Zindel, Author
- "Port Richmond High School". National Center for Education Statistics, Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 16 December 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Port Richmond High School". School Digger. Retrieved 16 December 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Overview - Port Richmond High School - R445 - New York City Department of Education". 27 February 2016. Archived from the original on 27 February 2016. Retrieved 14 April 2019.
Founded in 1928, Port Richmond High SchoolCS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)