Port Clinton, Pennsylvania
Reading and Northern Railroad depot in Port Clinton
Location of Port Clinton in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania.
|• Type||Borough Council|
|• Total||0.77 sq mi (1.99 km2)|
|• Land||0.76 sq mi (1.97 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.01 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||406.82/sq mi (157.17/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||610 Exchange: 562|
Port Clinton is located at (40.582467, -76.026381).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 288 people, 132 households, and 81 families residing in the borough. The population density was 577.4 people per square mile (222.4/km²). There were 139 housing units at an average density of 278.7 per square mile (107.3/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 98.26% White, 0.35% Native American, 0.35% from other races, and 1.04% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.78% of the population.
There were 132 households out of which 19.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.0% were married couples living together, 6.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.6% were non-families. 32.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.18 and the average family size was 2.80.
In the borough the population was spread out with 16.7% under the age of 18, 4.9% from 18 to 24, 30.6% from 25 to 44, 30.9% from 45 to 64, and 17.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 44 years. For every 100 females there were 110.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.7 males.
The median income for a household in the borough was $28,333, and the median income for a family was $36,071. Males had a median income of $30,795 versus $20,000 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $15,395. About 3.7% of families and 7.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.0% of those under the age of eighteen and 2.0% of those sixty five or over.
Residents of Port Clinton may attend the local, public schools operated by Schuylkill Haven Area School District which provides full day kindergarten through 12th grade. In 2015, the Schuylkill Haven Area School District's enrollment declined to 1,255 students. In 2012, Schuylkill Haven Area School District enrollment was 1,267 pupils. The District's enrollment was 1,461 pupils in 2005-06. Schuylkill Haven Area School District operates: Schuylkill Haven High School (8th-12th), Schuylkill Haven Middle School (5th-7th) and Schuylkill Haven Elementary Center (kindergarten-4th).
In 2015, Schuylkill Haven Area School District’s graduation rate was 93%. The District ranked 280th out of 493 Pennsylvania public school districts, by the Pittsburgh Business Times. The ranking was based on the last 3 years of student academic achievement as demonstrated by PSSAs results in: reading, writing, math and science and the three Keystone Exams (literature, Algebra 1, Biology I) in high school.
High school aged students can attend the taxpayer funded Schuylkill Technology Center, located in Marlin, for training in the building trades, auto mechanics, culinary arts, allied health careers and other areas. In 2015, 18 Schuylkill Haven Area students attended the school.
Port Clinton residents may also apply to attend any of the Commonwealth's 14 public cyber charter schools (in 2013) at no additional cost to the parents. Schuylkill Haven Area School District pays the tuition rate set by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. In 2014-15, Schuylkill Haven Area's tuition rate was $8,873.11 for elementary students and $8,857.51 for middle and high school pupils. In school year 2014-15, 20 Schuylkill Haven Area School District residents attended charter schools. By Pennsylvania law, all K-12 students residing in the school district, including those who attend a private nonpublic school, a Pennsylvania public cyber charter school, a charter school and those who are homeschooled, are all eligible to participate in the local school district's extracurricular programs including all athletics. They must meet the same eligibility rules as the students enrolled in the district's schools.
Residents may also seek admission for their school aged child to any other public school district. When accepted for admission, the student's parents are responsible for paying an annual tuition fee set by the Pennsylvania Department of Education.
Schuylkill Intermediate Unit #29 provides a wide variety of services to children living in its region, which includes Port Clinton. Early screening, special education services, speech and hearing therapy, autistic support, preschool classes and many other services like driver education are available. Services for children during the preschool years are provided without cost to their families when the child is determined to meet eligibility requirements. Intermediate units receive taxpayer funding: through subsidies paid by member school districts; through direct charges to users for some services; through the successful application for state and federal competitive grants and through private grants.
Community members have access to the Schuylkill County Public Library System at Schuylkill Haven Free Public Library located at 104 Saint John Street, Schuylkill Haven. Through the library Port Clinton residents have access to all POWER Library  online resources.
- "2017 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Mar 24, 2019.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved March 24, 2018.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 11 June 2013. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (December 4, 2015). "Schuylkill Haven Area School District Fast Facts 2015".
- NCES, Common Core of Data - Schuylkill Haven Area School District, 2012
- Pennsylvania Department of Education, Enrollment and Projections by LEA 2005-06 - 2020, July 2010
- PDE, Graduation rate by LEA, 2015
- Pittsburgh Business Times (April 10, 2015). "Guide to Pennsylvania Schools Statewide School District Ranking 2015".
- Pittsburgh Business Times (April 11, 2014). "What makes up a district's School Performance Profile score?".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education (September 21, 2012). "Schuylkill Haven Area School District AYP Overview 2012".
- Pennsylvania Department of Education, Schuylkill Haven Area School District Fast Facts 2015, December 2015
- Pennsylvania Department of Education, Pennsylvania Charter Schools, 2013
- Pennsylvania Department of Education, What is a Charter School?, 2013
- PDE, School District Tuition Rates 2014-15, 2014
- PDE, Schuylkill Haven Area School District Fast Facts 2015, December 2015
- Pennsylvania Office of the Governor Press Release (November 10, 2005). "Home-Schooled, Charter School Children Can Participate in School District Extracurricular Activities".
- Schuylkill Intermediate Unit 29 Administration (2016). "Services & Products".
- Reading & Northern Railroad headquartered in Port Clinton
- Roadside America (in nearby Shartlesville)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Port Clinton, Pennsylvania.|