In the 1970s and the 1980s, Polish music monthly Non Stop published a year-end list of the best selling albums in Poland. In the mid-1990s, two monthly sales lists were launched and published in music magazines. The first one was a top 50 compiled by ZPAV, based on shipment, not sales, which continues to be published to date. The other was a top 100 called Gorąca Setka (English: Hot 100), printed monthly in Gazeta Muzyczna. This chart was compiled from actual sale figures as reported by over 130 music shops across Poland and included both albums and singles.
From autumn 1994 to September 1997, journalist Artur Orzech presented a top 20 albums list on Radio Bis which was later extended to 25 and 30 positions. This chart was also based on actual sales data obtained from about 150 music shops, including albums as well as singles.
The official weekly albums chart, OLiS, was only launched in late 2000, and has since consisted of 50 positions. This chart is strictly based on physical albums sales from selected major retailers and do not include digital sales. ZPAV, however, counts both physical and digital sales towards gold, platinum and diamond certifications, as well as the streaming equivalent.
In 2017, weekly and monthly vinyl sales charts were launched to reflect the resurgence of popularity of the vinyl format.
There has been no official singles chart in Poland based on actual sales data. In the 1970s and the 1980s, Polish music monthly Non Stop published selected year-end statistics regarding the singles market. The popularity of individual songs has always been reflected by radio polls and hit lists, compiled from the listeners' votes. Some of the most popular were the charts on Rozgłośnia Harcerska (Polish Pathfinder Station) with its top 10 regularly printed in Billboard, and Polish Radio 3's Lista Przebojów Programu Trzeciego.
Not many singles were released and the market instead focused on longplays and 4-track extended plays. The single format has been somewhat substituted with cardboard records which were produced on a massive scale and sold in large quantities. Efforts to boost the sales of CD singles in the 1990s were unsuccessful and Polish artists have rarely released singles in physical format.
In 2010, ZPAV launched the following lists:
- AirPlay Top (Top 100 since 7 November 2015; Top 20 between 28 September 2013 and 31 October 2015; Top 5 between 27 March 2010 and 21 September 2013) – the most popular songs on biggest Polish radio stations and music TV channels
- AirPlay Nowości (Top 5) – the most popular new songs (new entries on the main chart)
- AirPlay Największe Skoki (Top 5) – fastest climbing songs on the chart
- AirPlay TV (Top 5) – Polish video chart presenting the most popular music videos on music TV channels
- Top Dyskoteki (Top 50) – Polish dance chart presenting the most popular songs in clubs
- Top Centra Handlowe (Top 20) – an irregular list of the most popular songs played in stores and shopping centres, last updated in 2014
- List of number-one albums in Poland
- List of number-one singles in Poland
- List of number-one dance singles in Poland
- "Lista Przebojów Programu Trzeciego • Wyświetl temat - Lista Najlepiej Sprzedawanych Płyt w Polsce". www.forum.lp3.pl (in Polish). Retrieved 2015-03-03.
- "Archiwum OLiS". olis.onyx.pl. Retrieved 2015-03-03.
- "ZPAV :: Bestsellery i wyróżnienia - Wyróżnienia - Regulamin". zpav.pl (in Polish). Retrieved 2019-03-15.
- Jonatan Paszkiewicz (2017-06-02). "ZPAV prezentuje nowe zestawienie – OLiS Winyle". allaboutmusic.pl (in Polish). Retrieved 2019-03-15.
- Waschko, Roman (April 20, 1974). "The Strange Case of the Chart Records That Don't Sell!". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media. p. 44. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "Highlights — Poland" (PDF). Eurotipsheet. Vol. 2 no. 40. Amsterdam. 1985-10-07. p. 5. Retrieved 2019-06-13.
- "Hits of the World – Poland". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media. April 13, 1968. p. 55. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved 2019-03-15.
- Washko, Roman (August 16, 1969). "Poland Story – Status Quo". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media. p. 75. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved 2019-03-12.
- "ZPAV :: Opłaty za muzykę - Muzyka w biznesie - Top - listy przebojów". ozz.zpav.pl (in Polish). Retrieved 2015-03-03.
- "ZPAV :: Opłaty za muzykę - Muzyka w biznesie - Top - listy przebojów". ozz.zpav.pl (in Polish). Retrieved 2019-03-13.