Map of Pohnpei State
|Country||Federated States of Micronesia|
|• Governor of Pohnpei||Marcelo Peterson (since 2016)|
|• Total||371.6 km2 (143.5 sq mi)|
|• Density||97/km2 (250/sq mi)|
|ISO 3166 code||FM-PNI|
Pohnpei State[needs IPA] is one of the four states of the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM). The other states are, from the east to west, Kosrae State, Chuuk State, and Yap State. The state's principal island is Pohnpei.
The state of Pohnpei is located in the Pacific Ocean. It is located near the eastern end of the Caroline Islands and is about midway between Honolulu and Manila. The land area of Pohnpei state is given as 133.2 square miles (345 km2).
With the exception of coastal plains, talus slopes and alluvial fans, most of Pohnpei Island, a high island, is ruggedly mountainous, lush and verdant, with the highest peak at 791 metres (2,595 ft). Its rainforest is dense and rich; extensive mangrove swamps line much of the low shore. The island is roughly circular in outline, its 80-mile (130 km) circumference is surrounded by a coral reef.
Pohnpei State Department of Education operates public schools.
Public high schools:
- Kitti High School
- Madolenihmw High School
- Bailey Olter High School (former Pohnpei Island Central School) in Kolonia
- Calvary Christian Academy in Kolonia
- Ohwa Christian High School in Madolenihmw
- Our Lady of Mercy Catholic High School in Kolonia
- Seventh Day Adventist High School in Kolonia
- "Higher Education in the Federated States of Micronesia." Embassy of the Federated States of Micronesia Washington DC. Retrieved on February 23, 2018.
- "Come Visit Us." Our Lady of Mercy Catholic High School. Retrieved on February 23, 2018. "The school is located on the Catholic Mission in Kolonia near the Spanish Wall"