|Founders||Tom Ryan |
(merger with CBS Corporation pending)
Pluto TV is free, ad-supported VOD service that, in addition to on-demand options, primarily distributes its content through digital linear channels designed to emulate the experience of traditional broadcast programming. The service's revenue is generated from video advertisements seen between programming.
Pluto TV licenses its content directly from providers, and has deals with more than 75 content partners as of 2017. Its content is available via its website and supported apps.
Early Years (2013-2019)
In July 2015, Pluto TV signed a deal with Hulu to distribute Hulu's free video content. In October 2015, they added 20 additional channels, bringing the total number of additional channels to above 100. On May 15, 2016, Pluto TV signed a deal with Sony to launch the Pluto TV app on the PlayStation Store for the Sony PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4.
In 2016, the company raised $30 million in series B venture capital funding, valuing the company at $140 million. The round was led by German TV station ProSieben, with additional funding from telecommunications company Sky UK. Pluto Inc. added a chief programming officer role in April, 2017.
In 2017, Pluto TV added a large library of movies and television shows on demand. Pluto's library is licensed from MGM, Viacom, Columbia TriStar, DHX Media, Nelvana, Fremantle, Monstercat, King Features Syndicate, and other studios. On September 11, 2018, Pluto TV launched a channel dedicated to Hell's Kitchen. Variety reported that as of May 2017[update], the service was averaging 6 million users per month, and was rated one of the most-watched apps on Roku, as of October 2017[update]. A channel dedicated to movies from The Asylum was added in June 2017. On October 17, 2017, Impact Wrestling announced they were launching a channel on Pluto TV.
By October 2017, Pluto TV reached over 15 million users.
In August 2018, Vizio announced a new streaming experience called WatchFree, built into several models of its lineup of Internet-connected smart TVs. This service is powered by Pluto TV, and Vizio advertised "an easy-to-navigate, cable-like interface" in the announcement.
Purchase by Viacom (2019-present)
Viacom's plans for Pluto TV include more licensed content from Viacom, expansion into Latin America, availability on smart TVs, and paid subscriptions. On March 18, 2019, Viacom announced plans to launch Pluto TV worldwide.
On May 1, 2019, Pluto introduced channels based on Viacom cable outlets and other owned properties, including content from Paramount Pictures, BET, Comedy Central, Logo, Nickelodeon, and MTV. Among those channels is a revival of Spike, which had folded a year prior. The free channels do not match the feeds received by cable and satellite subscribers; the online versions focus primarily on archival content and series that Pluto TV has acquired from other providers.
On May 13, 2019, Pluto launched a channel dedicated to Major League Soccer. On May 14, 2019, Pluto launched a channel dedicated to the series Midsomer Murders. On May 20, 2019, "The Young Turks Network" was launched. On May 29, 2019, Pluto TV launched on Amazon Fire TV in the UK, Germany and Austria.
On June 4, 2019, Pluto launched "Pluto TV Weddings" and a channel for Viacom's Logo cable network. On June 27, 2019, "Pluto TV Drama", "Pluto TV Movies" and "Pluto TV Food" were added to Channel 5's My5 on-demand lineup, with My5 channels being launched on Pluto UK in August 2019 (by September 2019 the "Pluto TV Weddings" channel had also been added to Pluto UK's line-up along with the "Conspiracy", "BIOgraphy" and "Animals" channel options, though apart from the three My5 channels, there have been no additional services based on Viacom's international portfolio of TV brands, that have come onto the UK app).
On July 1, 2019, the "Pluto TV Latino" suite of channels were launched. On July 9, 2019, "British TV" was launched. On July 23, 2019, Pluto added Eleven Sports Network and a River Monsters channel.
On July 30, 2019, Pluto launched three MTV-branded music video channels: "Biggest Pop" for pop hits, "Yo!" for rap songs, and "Spankin' New" for new music and up-and-coming artists.
On August 20, 2019, Comedy Central Roast (dedicated to the Comedy Central Roast specials), CMT Cheer 24/7 (dedicated to Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making the Team) and TV Land Drama were launched. At the same time, Pluto TV's existing Sitcoms channel was relaunched under the TV Land brand. The service also announced the launch of a National Football League channel containing reruns of classic games, NFL Films retrospectives and reruns of Hard Knocks.
A Deadline Hollywood piece identified Pluto TV as a potential outlet for CBS streaming content following the announcement of CBS Corporation's re-merger with Viacom in August 2019. Pluto already carries CBS's free online news service CBSN and technology & video game-oriented CNET Video.
On September 1, 2019, "Pluto TV 007", a channel dedicated to the James Bond franchise was launched. On September 3, 2019, Pluto TV added Fuse TV. On September 6, 2019, Pluto TV became available on Apple TV devices in Europe. On September 11, 2019, "Pluto TV SCIFI" launched.
On September 17, 2019, Gameplay Roblox, "BET Homecoming", a BET Her-branded channel, "VH1 Unscripted", "VH1 Hip Hop Family", and binge watch channels of Black Ink Crew, Love & Hip Hop, RuPaul's Drag Race, and a channel with This Old House and Ask This Old House were all launched.
On September 24, 2019, Pluto TV became available on Android devices in Europe.
On October 1, 2019, channels dedicated to Degrassi: The Next Generation and the remastered version of Baywatch were launched. Also launched on that date was TBN and the Hillsong Channel, both of which were the first explicitly televangelistic channels to be offered through the service. Finally, channels for "MTV Holla! Ween" (horror rock music videos and other music curated for Halloween), "MTV Block Party", "Pluto TV Terror", and channels dedicated to The Addams Family, American Gladiator, Criss Angel Mindfreak and Fear Factor were also launched.
As of September 1, 2019, Pluto TV carries over 200 channels packaging content acquired through various syndication deals and from Viacom's internal library. Traditional television channels whose feeds are carried directly on Pluto include NASA TV, WeatherNation TV, Buzzr (owned by Fremantle), Newsmax TV, Bloomberg Television, RT, and Stadium (owned by the Sinclair Broadcast Group).
- The Asylum
- BBC Studios
- Big Sky Conference
- Bloomberg Television
- Cheddar News
- Dash Radio
- Eleven Sports Network
- Fox Sports
- Geek and Sundry
- Glory Kickboxing
- King Features Syndicate
- Impact Wrestling
- Lucha Libre AAA Worldwide
- Major League Soccer
- Newsmax TV
- NASA TV
- National Football League
- NBC News
- People Magazine
- Shout! Factory
- Sinclair Broadcast Group
- Sky News
- Sony Pictures
- WeatherNation TV
- The Young Turks
Pluto TV's supported devices include: Android TV, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Roku, PlayStation 4, Android and iOS mobile devices, and Chromecast. It is also available on Microsoft Windows and MacOS computers.
Outside of the United States, Pluto TV and its apps are currently available in the United Kingdom, Europe, Germany, and Austria. Pluto is also available in countries such as Canada, but only in a limited capacity due to program rights.
- Philo (company), another service partly owned by Viacom
- "Hey Cord-Cutters: Pluto.TV Launches With 85 Channels Of Free, TV-Style Internet Video". Forbes. March 31, 2014. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- Pluto Inc. "Pluto TV - Android Apps on Google Play". google.com. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- "Pluto, Inc.: Private Company Information - Businessweek". bloomberg.com. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- Perez, Sarah. "Pluto TV, a free streaming service for cord cutters, raises $30 million more". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-04-30.
- "Pluto aims to bring TV to the Internet". Yahoo Finance. 17 February 2016. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- Bouma, Luke (August 8, 2019). "Pluto TV Hits 18 Million Active Users in July as Growth Continues".
- Ong, Josh (2014-05-15). "Web TV Service Pluto.TV Adds a DVR Feature". The Next Web. Retrieved 2019-05-31.
- "Hulu inks distribution deal with Pluto TV". CED. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- "Pluto TV Adds 20 New Channels Including IGN, The Onion, AwesomenessTV, Newsy, And The Young Turks". Android Police. Retrieved April 9, 2016.
- Spangler, Todd (2017-04-04). "Pluto TV Taps Former E! Exec Robert Magdlen as Chief Programming Officer". Variety. Retrieved 2017-04-30.
- "Streaming TV service Pluto TV adds an on-demand video library". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- Bouma, Luke (2018-09-11). "Pluto TV Adds a 24/7 Gordon Ramsay Hell's Kitchen & Kitchen Nightmares Channel". Cord Cutters News. Retrieved 2019-07-19.
- Spangler, Todd (2017-05-16). "Pluto TV, Angling to Become the Spotify of Premium Video, Launches Free On-Demand Service (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- Roku. "Roku". Roku. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- "The Asylum Opens on Pluto TV - Dread Central". www.dreadcentral.com. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- Herald, SANTOS A. PEREZ Special to the Miami. "Global Wrestling Network launches free on Pluto TV". Miami Herald. Retrieved 2019-05-29.
- "Free streaming TV service Pluto TV raises $8.3M, in new round led by Samsung – TechCrunch". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- Roettgers, Janko; Roettgers, Janko (2018-08-01). "Vizio Integrates Pluto TV With New Ad-Supported WatchFree Service". Variety. Retrieved 2019-01-23.
- "Pluto TV makes European debut on Now TV in the UK". Digital TV Europe. October 2, 2018.
- "Pluto TV launches in Germany and Austria". Broadband TV News. December 3, 2018.
- "Viacom Acquires Free Streaming Platform Pluto TV for $340 Million". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2019-01-23.
- "Viacom Announces Completion of Pluto TV Acquisition". www.businesswire.com. 2019-03-04. Retrieved 2019-03-04.
- "Viacom eyes distributor partnerships for Pluto TV | FierceVideo". www.fiercevideo.com.
- "Pluto TV will expand its free service with paid subscriptions, says new owner Viacom".
- White, Peter (2019-03-18). "Viacom To Roll Out Ad-Supported Service Pluto TV Worldwide As It Warns Global SVOD Market Is "Too Crowded"". Deadline. Retrieved 2019-04-09.
- Spangler, Todd (2019-04-08). "Viacom's Pluto TV Inks BBC Studios Deal for 700 Hours of Content, Including Classic 'Doctor Who' Episodes (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 2019-04-09.
- Spangler, Todd; Spangler, Todd (2019-06-11). "Pluto TV Launches Free Channels for 'Doctor Who' Classic, BBC's 'Antiques Roadshow'". Variety. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
- "Pluto TV Launches Channel Featuring CNN Content". Broadcasting & Cable. April 23, 2019. Retrieved April 30, 2019.
- Bouma, Luke (16 April 2019). "Pluto TV Adds CONtv". Retrieved 29 April 2019.
- Spangler, Todd; Spangler, Todd (2019-04-29). "Viacom Launching 14 Free Channels on Pluto TV, Sets Broad Digital Originals Slate". Variety. Retrieved 2019-04-30.
- Peterson, Tim (16 April 2019). "Viacom will debut 15 channels on Pluto TV to bolster its upfront pitch". Retrieved 29 April 2019.
- Bouma, Luke (2019-07-23). "Pluto TV Adds 3 New Channels Including Totally Turtles". Cord Cutters News. Retrieved 2019-07-23.
- Bouma, Luke (2019-05-13). "Pluto TV Is Launching a Major League Soccer Channel". Cord Cutters News. Retrieved 2019-05-23.
- Bouma, Luke (2019-05-14). "Pluto TV Launches a New Channel Dedicated to The Hit British Show 'Midsomer Murders'". Cord Cutters News. Retrieved 2019-05-17.
- Frankel, Daniel. "Pluto TV Adds The Young Turks Network". Multichannel. Retrieved 2019-05-31.
- Bouma, Luke (2019-05-29). "Pluto TV Launches On The Fire TV in UK, Germany & Austria". Cord Cutters News. Retrieved 2019-05-31.
- Bouma, Luke (2019-06-04). "Pluto TV Adds Two New Channels Called Weddings & Logo on Roku, Fire TV, and Apple TV". Cord Cutters News. Retrieved 2019-07-19.
- Clarke, Stewart; Clarke, Stewart (2019-06-27). "Viacom Adds Pluto TV Drama, Food, and Movies to Channel 5's On-Demand Service". Variety. Retrieved 2019-06-28.
- "My5 content makes debut on Pluto TV".
- "Pluto TV | Watch Free TV". Pluto TV.
- Blumenthal, Eli. "Pluto TV brings free streaming network to Comcast's Xfinity X1 cable boxes". CNET. Retrieved 2019-06-18.
- Spangler, Todd; Spangler, Todd (2019-07-01). "Pluto TV Latino: Viacom's Free-Streaming Platform Launches 2,000 Hours of Spanish and Portuguese TV Content". Variety. Retrieved 2019-07-01.
- Bouma, Luke (2019-07-09). "Pluto TV Adds Christmas in July & British TV to Its Lineup". Cord Cutters News. Retrieved 2019-07-11.
- Bouma, Luke (2019-07-22). "Pluto TV is Adding Eleven Sports Tomorrow". Cord Cutters News. Retrieved 2019-07-23.
- Bouma, Luke (2019-07-17). "Pluto TV Adds a 24/7 Dora Channel Getting You Ready For The New Dora Movie". Cord Cutters News. Retrieved 2019-07-19.
- Barnes, Jess (2019-07-30). "Pluto TV Adds 3 New MTV Music Videos Channels". Cord Cutters News. Retrieved 2019-08-02.
- Bouma, Luke (2019-08-19). "Pluto TV is Adding 4 New Channels Tomorrow Including TV Land Drama, TV Land Sitcoms, & Comedy Central Roast". Cord Cutters News. Retrieved 2019-08-21.
- Hayes, Dade; Hayes, Dade (2019-08-20). "NFL And Pluto TV Team For Streaming Channel "Celebrating" Pro Football's Past". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 2019-08-21.
- Szalai, George; Bond, Paul; Vlessing, Etan (August 13, 2019). "CBS, Viacom Strike Deal to Recombine". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved August 15, 2019. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "CBS and Viacom To Combine" (PDF). CBS. August 12, 2019.
- Bouma, Luke (2019-08-27). "Pluto TV Adds 6 New Channels Including MTV The Challenge & Dogs 24/7". Cord Cutters News. Retrieved 2019-09-01.
- Bouma, Luke (2019-08-30). "Pluto TV is Launching a Free 24/7 James Bond Movie Channel". Cord Cutters News. Retrieved 2019-09-01.
- "Pluto TV Adds Fuse TV to Its Lineup". Cord Cutters News. September 3, 2019. Retrieved September 4, 2019.
- Barnes, Jess (2019-09-06). "Pluto TV Now Available for Apple TV Devices Across Europe". Retrieved 2019-09-20.
- Bouma, Luke (2019-09-10). "Pluto TV is Adding a New Sci-Fi Channel". Retrieved 2019-09-18.
- Bouma, Luke (2019-09-17). "Pluto TV Is Adding 7 New Channels Today". Retrieved 2019-09-18.
- Bouma, Luke (2019-09-19). "Pluto TV Adds This Old House & Roblox to Its Growing Library of Channels". Retrieved 2019-09-20.
- Barnes, Jess (2019-09-24). "Pluto TV Europe is Now Available on Android Devices". Retrieved 2019-09-25.
- "Sales round-up: Fremantle sells remastered 'Baywatch', UK's E! lands on 'Temptation Island'". TBI Vision. July 8, 2019.
- Bouma, Luke (October 1, 2019). "Pluto TV Adds 12 New Channels Including Baywatch, The Addams Family, American Gladiator, & More".
- "The Cord Cutters Guide to Pluto TV (A FREE Streaming Service) - Cord Cutters News". Cord Cutters News. 2018-02-24. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- "Watch on your favorite devices". Pluto TV. June 10, 2019. Archived from the original on June 10, 2019.