|Title||Professor of Classical Philology and Linguistics|
|Alma mater||Exeter College, Oxford |
St John's College, Oxford
|Thesis||Studies in ancient Greek accentuation (2000)|
|Doctoral advisor||Anna Morpurgo Davies|
|Institutions||Faculty of Classics, University of Oxford |
Wolfson College, Oxford
Early life and education
From 1991 to 1995, Probert studied Literae Humaniores (classics) at Exeter College, Oxford, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree. Remaining at Exeter College, she undertook postgraduate studies in general linguistics and comparative philology, completing her Master of Philosophy (MPhil) degree in 1997. She then moved to St John's College, Oxford, where she undertook research towards her Doctor of Philosophy (DPhil) degree under the supervision of Anna Morpurgo Davies. She completed her DPhil in 2000 with a thesis titled "Studies in ancient Greek accentuation". Her doctoral thesis won the 2002 Conington Prize from the Faculty of Classics.
In 1999, Probert was appointed lecturer in Classical Philology and Linguistics at the University of Oxford and elected a Fellow of Wolfson College, Oxford. In the 2006/2007 academic year, she researched relative clauses in Greek on fellowship at the Center of Hellenic Studies at Harvard University. In 2011 she received a British Academy Mid-Career Fellowship to continue this research. In September 2016, she was awarded a Title of Distinction as Professor of Classical Philology and Linguistics. She was the Acting President of Wolfson College between October 2017 and April 2018.
- Probert, Philomen (2003). A short guide to the accentuation of Ancient Greek. Bristol: Bristol Classical. ISBN 978-1853995996.
- Probert, Philomen (2006). Ancient Greek accentuation synchronic patterns, frequency effects, and prehistory. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0199279609.
- Probert, Philomen; Willi, Andreas, eds. (2012). Laws and rules in Indo-European. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0199609925.
- Probert, Philomen (2015). Early Greek Relative Clauses. Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0198713821.
- "Philomen Probert - Curriculum Vitae". Academy of Europe. 14 June 2016. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Philomen Probert, 2006-07". The Center for Hellenic Studies. Harvard University. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- Probert, Philomen (2000). "Studies in ancient Greek accentuation". E-Thesis Online Service. The British Library Board. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Academy of Europe: Philomen Probert". www.ae-info.org.
- "Bio: Philomen Probert". chs.harvard.edu. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- "BA Mid-Career Grants 2011". www.britac.ac.uk.
- "Recognition of Distinction". Oxford University Gazette. 147 (5143): 15. 29 September 2016. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
- "Wolfson College: Philomen Probert". www.wolfson.ox.ac.uk.
- "Philomen Probert". Faculty of Linguistics, Philology and Phonetics. University of Oxford. Retrieved 3 June 2018.
| (Acting) President of Wolfson College, Oxford