This article may have too many section headers dividing up its content. (January 2019)
Philip G. Killey
Major General Philip G. Killey
|Born||October 3, 1941|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/||United States Air Force|
|Years of service||1963-2003|
|Unit||Air National Guard|
National Guard Bureau First Air Force
South Dakota National Guard
|Commands held||114th Tactical Fighter Group|
Director, Air National Guard
Acting Chief of the National Guard Bureau
First Air Force
South Dakota National Guard
|Awards||Distinguished Service Medal (Air Force)|
Legion of Merit
Order of the Sword (United States)
Distinguished Flying Cross (United States)
Meritorious Service Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Army Commendation Medal
|Other work||Defense consultant|
Philip G. Killey is a retired United States Air Force officer. He attained the rank of Major General, and served as Adjutant General of the South Dakota National Guard, Director of the Air National Guard and Commander of First Air Force.
Philp G. Killey was born in Monmouth, Illinois on October 1, 1941. He graduated from Monmouth High School in 1959, and received a Bachelor of Science degree in economics and mathematics from Monmouth College in 1963.
Start of military career
Killey received his commission in 1963 through Air Force Officer Training School at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas. Upon qualification as an F-4 pilot he was assigned to Eglin Air Force Base, Florida.
From May, 1967 to February, 1968 Killey flew 129 combat missions as an F-4 fighter pilot in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War, assigned to the 8th Tactical Fighter Wing at Ubon Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand.
He left active duty in 1969 and joined the South Dakota Air National Guard in 1970. He held a variety of training, staff and command positions, including Deputy Commander of the 114th Tactical Fighter Group. In March, 1983 he became Commander of the Group.
Later military career
In March, 1987 Killey was named Adjutant General of the South Dakota National Guard and promoted to Brigadier General. He served until November, 1988, when he was appointed Director of the Air National Guard and promoted to Major Ganeral.
National Guard Bureau
1st Air Force
In January, 1994 Killey was named Commander of First Air Force and Continental United States North American Aerospace Defense Command Region. He was the first National Guard officer to hold this position, and he served until January, 1998.
Return to South Dakota
From January, 1998 until retiring in May, 2003 Killey served again as Adjutant General of South Dakota.
After retiring from the military Killey was a consultant on government, military and homeland security issues. He was also active in business, including a position on the advisory board of Previstar, Inc.
Awards and decorations
- Distinguished Service Medal (Air Force) with oak leaf cluster
- Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
- Distinguished Flying Cross (United States)
- Meritorious Service Medal
- Air Medal with 12 oak leaf clusters
- Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
- Army Commendation Medal
- Presidential Unit Citation (United States)
- Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
- Combat Readiness Medal with four oak leaf clusters
- National Defense Service Medal with service star
- Vietnam Service Medal with service star
- Air Force Overseas Ribbon-Short
- Air Force Longevity Service Award Ribbon with seven oak leaf clusters
- Armed Forces Reserve Medal with hourglass device
- Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
- Air Force Training Ribbon
- Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm Unit Citation
- Republic of Vietnam Campaign Medal
- South Dakota Distinguished Service Award
- South Dakota Distinguished Unit Award
- South Dakota National Guard Service Award with two oak leaf clusters
- 1993 Awarded the Order of the Sword (United States)
- November 1963 – February 1965, Student, pilot training, Reese Air Force Base, Texas
- August 1965 – May 1967, F-4 Pilot, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
- May 1967 – February 1968, Combat Fighter Pilot, 555th Tactical Fighter Squadron, Ubon Royal Thai Air Force Base, Thailand
- February 1968 – July 1969, F-4 Instructor Pilot, 68th Tactical Fighter Squadron, George Air Force Base, Calif.
- August 1970 – March 1973, Squadron Fighter Pilot, 114th Tactical Fighter Group, South Dakota Air National Guard, Sioux Falls, S.D.
- March 1973 – October 1974, Air Technician Flying Training Instructor, 114th Tactical Fighter Group, South Dakota Air National Guard, Sioux Falls, S.D.
- October 1974 - April 1975, Outstanding Graduate F-100 Fighter Weapons School Arizona Air National Guard, Tucson, AZ.
- April 1975 – September 1978, Group Weapons Tactics Officer and Chief of Standardization and Evaluation, 114th Tactical Fighter Group, South Dakota Air National Guard, Sioux Falls, S.D.
- September 1978 – March 1983, Deputy Commander for Operations, 114th Tactical Fighter Group, South Dakota Air National Guard, Sioux Falls, S.D.
- March 1983 – March 1987, Commander, 114th Tactical Fighter Group, South Dakota Air National Guard, Sioux Falls, S.D.
- March 1987 – November 1988, Adjutant General, South Dakota National Guard, Rapid City, S.D.
- November 1988 – January 1994, Director, Air National Guard, Washington D.C.
- January 1994 – January 1998, Commander, 1st Air Force, Air Combat Command, and Continental United States North American Aerospace Defense Command Region, Tyndall Air Force Base, Fla.
- May 1998 – Feb 2003, Adjutant General, South Dakota National Guard, Rapid City, S.D.
Effective Dates of Promotions
- U.S. House Appropriations Committee, Hearing Record, Department of Defense Appropriations for 1990, Biographical sketch, Philip G. Killey, 1989, page 396
- Justin Sims, Monmouth Review-Atlas, Retired Major General Says Growing Up In Monmouth Helped Develop Character Archived 2009-10-10 at the Wayback Machine, October 18, 2015
- Senator Tim Johnson, In Appreciation Of Major General Philip G. Killey Archived 2016-03-04 at the Wayback Machine, Extension of Remarks, Republished by Sunlight Foundation, October 18, 2015
- U.S. House Veterans Affairs Committee, Hearing Record, Oversight Hearing on the Montgomery GI Bill, Biographical sketch, Philip G. Killey, 1990, page 109
- National Guard Bureau, On Guard magazine, BG Philip G. Killey is Appointed Director, ANG Archived 2013-03-05 at the Wayback Machine, October, 1988, page 6A
- South Dakota State News, Guard Recognizes Killey for Lifelong Service, accessed October 18, 2015
- St. Louis Post-Dospatch, Illinois Native Gets Air Guard Position, September 18, 1988 Retrieved October 18, 2015
- Leslie Filson, Sovereign Skies: Air National Guard Takes Command of 1st Air Force, 1999, page 23
- South Dakota National Guard Public Affairs, SDNG Adjutant General Announces Retirement, February 18, 2003 Retrieved October 18, 2015
- Business Wire, Major General Philip G. Killey (ret.) Joins Previstar Advisory Board, April 17, 2007 Retrieved October 18, 2015
- Dan Broadstreet, WJHG-TV, Headquarters Building for Continental U.S. NORAD Command Region to be Dedicated, October 18, 2015
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Philip G. Killey.|
Maj Gen John B. Conaway
| Director of the United States Air National Guard
November 1988 - January 1994
Maj Gen Donald Shepperd
Lieut. Gen. John B. Conaway
| Chief of the National Guard Bureau (Acting)
December 1993 - January 1994
LTG Raymond F. Rees