This article includes a list of general references, but it remains largely unverified because it lacks sufficient corresponding inline citations. (September 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Birth name||Philip John Palmer|
|Born||9 September 1952|
|Genres||Rock, blues rock, jazz|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, songwriter, musical director|
|Associated acts||Eric Clapton, Dire Straits, Wishbone Ash, George Michael, Chris de Burgh, Robbie Williams, David Essex|
Philip John Palmer (born 9 September 1952, London, England) is a sideman and session guitarist in jazz and rock who has toured, recorded, and worked with numerous famous artists. He is most renowned for his work on the slide guitar.
Palmer has supported artists that include Lucio Battisti (album Una giornata uggiosa, 1980), Pet Shop Boys, Murray Head, Steve Harley, Wishbone Ash (1986 touring), Joan Armatrading, Eric Clapton, Roger Daltrey, Iggy Pop, Scott Walker (Track Three, 1984), Thomas Anders (1989), Bob Dylan, Tina Turner, Dire Straits (1992 tour), Pete Townshend (1993 and 2000 shows), Eros Ramazzotti (Tutte storie 1993), Alejandro Sanz (Alejandro Sanz 3 1995), (Paola e Chiara (1997), Pino Daniele, Geri Halliwell, Katey Sagal, Chris de Burgh, Bryan Adams, Johnny Hallyday, David Knopfler, George Michael, Ivano Fossati, Renato Zero, Claudio Baglioni, Massimo Di Cataldo, Melanie C, Robbie Williams and David Sylvian. He often works with producer Trevor Horn. In 1986, he worked as a studio musician on Alphaville's album Afternoons in Utopia.
He co-wrote I'm No Angel, recorded separately by Bill Medley and the Gregg Allman Band.
In 1993, Palmer assembled a band called Spin 1ne 2wo, with Paul Carrack (vocals and keyboards), Steve Ferrone (drums), Rupert Hine (producer, keyboards) and Tony Levin (bass). They released one album, a self-titled project, made up of classic rock covers including songs by Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Blind Faith, Steely Dan and Bob Dylan.
Palmer was the musical director of and performed with the numerous artists (The Strat Pack) at the 50th anniversary celebration of the Fender Stratocaster guitar which was held in 2004 at Wembley Arena in London. He performed in 2002 as a member of the backing band at the Queen's 50th anniversary rock concert at Buckingham Palace, "Party at the Palace".
According to himself, he appeared on over 500 Albums and over 5000 Songs.
He married Italian singer and TV personality Emanuela Palmer in January 2012. Italian pop megastar Renato Zero was Palmer's best man for the ceremony in Rome. Palmer and his wife are involved in several humanitarian projects, in particular with UNICEF.
With Iggy Pop
- Nightclubbing (RCA, 1977)
With Murray Head
- Shade (Mercury Records, 1983)
- Restless (Virgin Records, 1984)
- Sooner or Later (Virgin Records, 1987)
- Pipe Dreams (Voiceprint Records, 1995)
- Rien n'est écrit (Sony, 2009)
With Robbie Williams
- Sing When You're Winning (Chrysalis Records, 2000)
- Escapology (EMI, 2002)
- Reality Killed the Video Star (Virgin Records, 2009)
With Joan Armatrading
With Steve Harley
- The Candidate (EMI, 1979)
With Sheena Easton
- Take My Time (EMI, 1981)
- You Could Have Been with Me (EMI, 1981)
- Madness, Money & Music (EMI, 1982)
- My Cherie (MCA Records, 1995)
With Bryan Adams
- 18 til I Die (A&M Records, 1996)
With Cliff Richard
- Cliff at Christmas (EMI, 2003)
With Howard Jones
- Dream into Action (Elektra Records, 1985)
- One to One (Elektra Records, 1986)
- Cross That Line (Elektra Records, 1989)
With Duncan James
- Future Past (Innocent Records, 2006)
With Sam Brown
- Stop! (A&M Records, 1988)
With George Michael
- Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 1 (Columbia Records, 1990)
- Songs from the Last Century (Virgin Records, 1999)
- Patience (Epic Records, 2004)
With Delta Goodrem
With Eric Clapton
- Journeyman (Reprise Records, 1989)
With Céline Dion
With Katey Sagal
- Well... (Virgin Records, 1994)
With Olly Murs
- Olly Murs (Epic Records, 2010)
With Jennifer Rush
- Credo (EMI, 1997)
With Thomas Anders
- Different (Teldec, 1989)
With Tina Turner
With Amii Stewart
- Time for Fantasy (RCA Victor, 1988)
With Andrew Ridgeley
- Son of Albert (Columbia Records, 1990)
With Tasmin Archer
- Great Expectations (Capitol Records, 1992)
With Jimmy Nail
- Crocodile Shoes (East West Records, 1994)
- Crocodile Shoes II (East West Records, 1996)
With Gary Barlow
- Together (Mercury Records, 2002)
With Judie Tzuke
- Left Hand Talking (Columbia Records, 1991)
With Melanie C
- Reason (Virgin Records, 2003)
With Lisa Stansfield
With Geri Halliwell
- "One night in Bretteville avec Murray Head". Ouest-France.fr. 11 December 2017. Retrieved 31 January 2020.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 10 January 2020. Retrieved 7 January 2020.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Tingen, Paul (April 2009). "Phil Palmer: Session guitar player". Performing-Musician.com. Archived from the original on 17 March 2012. Retrieved 5 September 2012.
- "500 Albums, 5000 Songs - interview with Phil Palmer | Access2Music". Wp.access2music.de. Retrieved 5 June 2014.
- Hinman, Doug (2004). All Day And All of the Night. p. 174
- "Numa E Phil Palmer Ospiti Internazionali Alla Giornata Per L'infanzia Di Napoli". Lavocedelquartiere.it. 21 November 2015.
- "Murray HEAD : SHADE (1983)". Fp.nightfall.fr. Retrieved 31 January 2020.
- "Murray HEAD : RESTLESS (1984)". Fp.nightfall.fr. Retrieved 31 January 2020.
- "Murray HEAD : SOONER OR LATER (1987)". Fp.nightfall.fr. Retrieved 31 January 2020.
- "Murray HEAD : PIPE DREAMS (1995)". Fp.nightfall.fr. Retrieved 31 January 2020.
- "Murray Head - Rien N'Est Écrit". Discogs.com. Retrieved 31 January 2020.
- Sing When You're Winning (Robbie Williams) liner notes, 2000
- Escapology (Robbie Williams) liner notes, 2002
- Reality Killed the Video Star (Robbie Williams) liner notes, 2009 Chrysalis Records Ltd., CD: 5099930969827 [deluxe edition]
- P.A.R.C.E. - Juanes > Credits Allmusic. Retrieved 2010-12-07
- Sleeve notes: To the Limit, 1978, A & M Records (AMLH 64732)
- Soul 2 (Seal) CD liner notes, 2011 Reprise
- 7 (Seal) CD liner notes, Warner Bros. Records Inc., 9362-49240-1
- "George Michael – Songs from the Last Century Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 20 October 2014.
- "Mistaken Identity - Delta Goodrem | Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 31 January 2020.
- "Unison - Céline Dion | Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "Twelve Months, Eleven Days - Gary Barlow | Credits". AllMusic. Retrieved 31 January 2020.
- road/mw0000453689/credits "Open Road - Gary Barlow | Credits" Check
|url=value (help). AllMusic. Retrieved 31 January 2020.
- The Moment (Lisa Stansfield) CD liner notes, 2004 ZTT Records Ltd., ZTT192CD
- Passion (Geri Halliwell) CD liner notes, Innocent Records, 2005
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Phil Palmer.|