Universitas Kristen Petra
Seal of PCU - Petra Christian University
|Motto||Latin: Amor, Integritas, Incrementum, Humilitas et Veritas|
Motto in English
|Let Your LIGHT Shine (LIGHT: Love, Integrity, Growth, Humility & Truth)|
|Established||8 August 1961|
|President||Ir. Hary Sudjoko Listijo|
|Vice-president||Yos Handarto Poernomo, M.A.|
|Provost||R. Arja Angka A.A.A. Sadjiarto, S.E., M.Ak., Ak.|
|Rector||Prof. Dr. Djwantoro Hardjito, M.Eng.|
Siwalankerto 103 - 144,
|Student newspaper||Dwi Pekan Online|
|Colours||The University: Sapphire blue|
Petra Christian University, commonly abbreviated as PCU (Indonesian: Universitas Kristen Petra) is a major oldest and largest private Christian university in Indonesia, located in the heart of Wonocolo District in Surabaya, East Java - Indonesia. It was established in 1961, founded by PPPK Petra, an educational Christian based in Surabaya which established in 1951. The Petra name itself taken from the Greek language that translates as coral reef or rock. It is Indonesia's best private university in the 2018-2020 by QS World University Rankings and stands out as the only private university in Indonesia to make into the top 10.
The establishment of Petra Christian University was associated with the Petra Christian Education and Teaching Association or PPPK Petra (Perhimpunan Pendidikan dan Pengajaran Kristen). PPPK Petra is a Christian based educational foundation established on 12 April 1951 in Surabaya, East Java, with the purpose to provide education from kindergarten to senior high school.
The idea of establishing a university to provide higher education for the alumni of PPPK Petra highschools has existed since 1956.
On 21 September 1960, the Committee of University Establishment Planning Preparation was formed, with the duty to prepare all the necessities to establish a university. The members of the committee were: drg. Tan Tjiaw Yong, Gouw Loe Liong, drg. Tan Gie Djien, Tjoa Siok Tjoen, Lie Ping Lioe and Kwee Djien Kian. On 8 August 1961, the coordinators decided to establish Petra Christian University with its first department, Faculty of Letters.
On 22 September 1961, the 10th anniversary PPPK Petra, the establishment of Petra Christian University was made public. Several days later, on 28 September 1961, the coordinators of PPPK Petra formed the Directorate of University Affairs, whose duty was to manage the university and temporarily to act as Sponsor Board members. The members of the directorate were drg. Tan Tjiaw Yong, Ir. O.F. Patty, dr. Mesakh Wignjohoesodo, Gouw Loe Liong and J.A. Sereh. A year later, on 15 September 1962, the second faculty was established, the Faculty of Civil Engineering and Planning.
Realizing the growth of the university, the coordinators re-evaluated the internal regulation of PPPK. On 18 July 1964, a committee for the establishment of Petra Christian University Foundation was set up with the members of the committee, Jacob Elfinus Sahetapy, drg. Tan Tjiaw Yong, dr. M. Wignjohoesodo, Kho Hong Pie, R.M.S. Kertonadi and P.H. Saroinsong. The concept of the Petra Christian University Foundation (YPTK Petra) was accepted on 22 October 1964, and was legally established on 7 January 1965.
Currently PCU has around 10,000 students who come from various regions in Indonesia and abroad. PCU's seven faculties offer undergraduate (S1-bachelor) and postgraduate (S2-magister and S3-doctoral) programs. In addition to academic education programs, Petra Christian University also organizes several professional programs that provide practical knowledge and skills for professionals and high school students.
Faculties and departments
The academic faculties and their respective departments at Petra Christian University are:
- Faculty of Arts and Design
- Interior Design & Furniture
- Fashion Design & Textile
- Visual Communication Design
- International Program in Digital Media
- Faculty of Civil Engineering and Planning
- Civil Engineering
- Faculty of Industrial Technology
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Automotive Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Information Engineering
- Business Information Systems
- International Business Engineering
- Faculty of Business and Economics
- Business Accounting
- Tax Accounting
- Business Management
- Marketing Management
- Financial Management
- Tourism Management
- Hotel Management
- International Business Management
- International Business Accounting
- Faculty of Letters
- English for Business
- English for Creative Industry
- Chinese Literature
- Faculty of Communication
- Strategic Communication Studies
- Broadcast & Journalism Studies
- Faculty of Education
- Childhood Education Studies
- Primary Education Studies
The entire teaching and learning process and activities of organizing higher education are held in an area of 401,782 m² (0.401 km²), located on St. Siwalankerto 103-105, 121-131, and 142-144 plot situated in Surabaya - East Java, which is easily accessible by various mass transportation and highways. Located near with Suroboyo Night Carnival, Trans Studio Surabaya, Surabaya Zoo, City of Tomorrow Mall, Royal Plaza and Transmart Surabaya.
In its development in 2013, Petra Christian University began building a new building which is the first environmentally friendly university building in Surabaya, where Block-Q building was completed in 2017. The Campus has 31 Complex of buildings, that having an alphabetical naming. PCU provided a dormitory residential accommodation located in student town "Petra The SQUARE dormitory". Entrance into student dorm are via door access control using student ID card. Security is provided by a team of in-house security officers and outsourced security guards. The University also has over 400 CCTV cameras throughout the campus.
PCU Philharmonic Hall
Petra Christian University Philharmonic Hall was completed in 2017 with the capacity over 3,000 seats. Which includes box seats, corporate suites and a royal suite. It is the first concert hall built specifically for classical music and movie theater hall. It is the home of the Petra Little Theater and Petra Philharmonic Orchestra (PPO). The hall is constructed with concealed movable ceiling panels which can be adjusted to alter the volume in the hall and simulate a wide range of acoustic environments. Along with the Hall, there is also gymnastics studio, coffeehouse, reflecting pool, exhibition hall, stationery shop, retail store, ATM center, bank, auditorium, contemporary artpieces gallery and infinity gardenia.
DESA INFORMASI TELEVISION (DIVO) is the official student media in the PCU campus. It is an online augmented reality media platform founded and maintained by the students of the Faculty of Arts and Design and Faculty of Communication. The online information board is open to the existing student population and provides coverage of both on and off campus events. Various DIVO screens are spread at strategic points within the PCU campus area.
Library and publication media
With the motto "A caring learning zone", Petra Christian University (PCU) Library wants to achieve the formation of a learning community through its new role as a companion and professional partner for the academic community and professionals. Petra Christian University has a library that is intended for students to explore various information. The PCU Library is the largest and most comprehensive library in East Java. As an information center that serves the information needs of all academicians and the general public, the Petra Christian University Library provides various types of services supported by information technology, such as reference and information services, collection lending services, magazine and journal services, audiovisual services, information retrieval, database services, membership to outside communities, etc.
In addition to print collections, this library also owns and continues to develop digital collections such as Digital Theses, an online database of student final theses, e-Dimensions (Dimension journal articles), Surabaya Memory (documentation on the development of the city of Surabaya), Petra @rt Gallery (artwork of Petra Christian University campus community by the Faculty of Arts and Design), Petra iPoster (poster of activities or events on Petra Christian University campus), Petra Chronicle (historical documents and developments at Petra Christian University). In this library there is also a collection of audiovisual media and ProQuest online journal databases.
Campus Green Field Zone
Campus Green field Zone ("Lapangan Hijau") is a 985-square-metre (10,600 sq ft) campus epicentre, use for a students gathering and hold special events such as celebrating "Merdeka Days". This area is located in the centre of Block-W building (Main campus building). Along with the open green field, there is also academic library, coffeehouse, student center, stationery shop, retail store, ATM center, bank, auditorium and kolam jodoh reflecting pool.
Community Outreach Program
Community Outreach Program (COP) is a form of student academic activities that combines the form of education and teaching, research, and community service at the same time in one activity. As an educational and teaching activity, related to research, COP participant must observe, analyze, draw a conclusions from data and information about the problems and needs of the target community. As a community service activity, COP participant students can practice technology, science and art which they have mastered scientifically and institutionalized. In the context of internationalization, COP is a forum for service, learning multicultural interaction, science, technology and art of students between various countries.
PCU students may take part in exchange and dual-degree mobility programs in association with the Association of Christian Universities and Colleges in Asia (ACUCA), in which students may also be exchanged with universities partners to universities abroad from Australia, Japan, South Korea, Canada, United States, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Malaysia, Singapore, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and many other countries. Students from partner institutions may also participate in exchanges to PCU.
The university provides a free university shuttle commuting between the campus and car parking lot at Anta Park, which is approximately 0.2 km from campus. Shuttle services are offered for free to students and staff of the university as an incentive to provide greener sustainable transport and to alleviate on-campus parking congestion.
The members of Petra Christian University Foundation is composed of representatives from PPPK Petra, representatives from supporting churches, and influential Christian figures.
- Gereja Bethel Injil Sepenuh
- GKI Pregolan Bunder
- Gereja Kristen Indonesia (GKI)
- Gereja Kristen Jawi Wetan (GKJW)
- Gereja Pantekosta Pusat Surabaya
- Gereja Protestan di Indonesia bagian Barat (GPIB)
- Huria Kristen Batak Protestan (HKBP)
In 1987, the Gereja Gereformeerd Surabaya church was renamed Gereja Kristen Indonesia Pregolan Bunder Surabaya and became a full constituent church of Gereja Kristen Indonesia; since then, YPTK Petra has had the support of six church denominations in Surabaya.
- "Student population 2015/2016 - The Petra Christian University Students Data". genta.petra.ac.id. Retrieved 26 September 2018.
- "About Petra Christian University". www.petra.ac.id. Retrieved 22 December 2018.
- "Universitas Kristen Petra, Universitas swasta terbaik di Indonesia". www.beritasatu.com. Retrieved 22 December 2018.
- "Universitas Kristen Petra". www.ayokuliah.id. Retrieved 22 December 2018.
- "University Rankings". www.iu.qs.com. Retrieved 22 December 2018.
- "Jawa Pos - PCU The Best Private University in Indonesia". www.pressreader.com (Jawa Pos). 26 September 2018.
- "Dutch Culture-Petra Christian University". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands (Embassy/Consulate). Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "Petra Christian University (UKP) University in Surabaya, Indonesia". neliti.com. Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "The History of Petra Christian University and Foundation". www.petra.ac.id. Retrieved 22 December 2018.
- "Petra Christian University Campus Environment". Petra Christian University. Retrieved 20 November 2019.
- "Petra Christian University Philharmonic Hall dalam "Indonesia Keren", Peresmian Gedung Perkuliahan dan Auditorium Kampus Timur UK Petra". DWIPEKAN Online Petra Christian University. Retrieved 20 November 2019.
- "Official Student Media - DESA INFORMASI TELEVISION (DIVO)". divo.petra.ac.id. 26 September 2018.
- "Dewey Petra Christian University Online Library Web-access Collection and Online Bookstore". Dewey PCU. 26 September 2018.
- "Digital Collection of PCU library, Web access Collection for student's Thesis". dewey.petra.ac.id. 26 September 2018.
- "Database E-Journal Dimensions of PCU library, Web access Collection of E-Book". dewey.petra.ac.id. 26 September 2018.
- "Library of Petra Christian University - Surabaya, East Java - Indonesia". library.petra.ac.id. 26 September 2018.
- "Kala Orang Korea, Jepang, Malaysia Nguleg Rujak di Lapangan Hijau Petra Christian University". Petra Christian University. 26 September 2018.
- "Putra Jokowi Kaesang Bikin Mahasiswa Asing Terheran-Heran Selama KKN". Tribun Network, Editor:Yudhi Maulana Aditama. Retrieved 25 July 2016.
- Kontributor Surabaya and Achmad Faizal. Laksono Hari Wiwoho (ed.). ""Tak Ada Perlakuan Khusus untuk Kaesang Selama KKN di Pedesaan"". Kompas. Retrieved 16 July 2016.
- "Student Mobility Scheme (SMS) International Program Association of Christian Universities and Colleges in Asia (ACUCA)". Association of Christian Universities and Colleges in Asia (ACUCA). Retrieved 1 January 2020.
- "PMK PCU Online Mobility Programme". pmk-online.petra.ac.id/. 26 September 2018.
- "PCU Shuttle Transportation". PCU Official Website. 26 September 2018.
- "Sejarah - GKI Pregolan Bunder Surabaya - Gereja Kristen Indonesia". www.gki-pregolan.org. Retrieved 19 April 2020.
- "UKP dorong mahasiswanya belajar ke luar negeri". Antara (news agency). Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- "Petra Christian University Partners - Overseas Universities (Faculty of Industrial Technology)". Petra Christian University. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- "Petra Christian University Partners - Overseas Universities (Faculty of Business and Economics - Tourism Hotelier)". Petra Christian University. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- "Petra Christian University Partners - Overseas Universities (Faculty of Letters-English for Business)". Petra Christian University. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- "Petra Christian University Partners - Overseas Universities (Faculty of Arts and Design-Interior)". Petra Christian University. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- "Petra Christian University Partners - Overseas Universities (Faculty of Industrial Technology-Mechanical Engineering)". Petra Christian University. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- "Petra Christian University Partners - Overseas Universities (Faculty of Industrial Technology-Civil Engineering)". Petra Christian University. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- "Petra Christian University Partners - Overseas Universities (Faculty of Business Management-Hotelier)". Petra Christian University. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- "Petra Christian University Partners - Overseas Universities (Faculty of Business Management-International Business Management IBM)". Petra Christian University. Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- "Petra Christian University Partners - Overseas Universities (Faculty of Business Management-International Business Accounting IBAAC)". Petra Christian University. Retrieved 24 March 2018.