Peter Engel (born c. 1936) is an American television producer who is best known for his teenage sitcoms that appeared on TNBC, a former Saturday morning block on NBC which featured all teenage-oriented programs for educational purposes. His most well known work was the teenage sitcom Saved by the Bell which inspired the birth of the TNBC block for his other shows such as California Dreams, Hang Time and City Guys in the 1990s.
Life and career
After producing teen-focused series for NBC, Engel transitioned to producing reality television series. A reality television project that Engel executive produced is the NBC reality series Last Comic Standing. He has been announced as executive producer and creator of the E! Network reality show Chasing The Saturdays, starring British popstars The Saturdays.
Engel was raised Jewish, and has converted to Christianity.
Engel released a memoir titled I Was Saved by the Bell: Stories of Life, Love, and Dreams That Do Come True.
- Good Morning, Miss Bliss (1988–89)
- Saved by the Bell (1989–93)
- California Dreams (1992–96)
- Saved by the Bell: The College Years (1993–94)
- Saved by the Bell: The New Class (1993–2000)
- Hang Time (1995–2000)
- USA High (1997–99)
- City Guys (1997–2001)
- One World (1998–2001)
- Malibu, CA (1998–2000)
- All About Us (2001)
Associated production companies
- NBC Productions (1988–96)
- NBC Studios (1995–2001)
- NBC Enterprises (1996–2001)
- Engel, Peter (2016). I Was Saved by the Bell. Top Hat Words. p. 1. ISBN 0997943114.
It was 1989, and the future of Saved by the Bell hung in the balance. Fifty-three years old, and executive producer of the show...
- Greg Braxton (November 27, 1992). "'Bell' Hearing the Sounds of Success : Television: With a TV movie, foreign broadcasts, syndicated reruns and a plethora of merchandise, 'Saved by the Bell' intends to be noticed". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2016-05-24.
- Melissa Grego (September 23, 2002). "Engel's slate is broadened". Variety. Retrieved 2016-05-24.
- "Peter Engel: Hollywood Producer Turned Regent Dean". www.cbn.com.
- "Legendary Executive Producer Peter Engel Interview".
- "Engel reups, grows up". Variety. September 23, 1997. Retrieved 2016-05-24.
- Michael Schneider (June 27, 2001). "Peacock picks pair for TNBC". Variety. Retrieved 2016-05-24.