Peter Crampton (10 June 1932 – 12 July 2011) was a British Labour Party politician who was the Member of the European Parliament (MEP) from 1989 to 1999 representing the Humberside constituency. He was also the father of Times journalist Robert Crampton.
He was born in Blackpool in 1932 and educated at Blackpool Grammar School and Nottingham University. He was a teacher and lecturer of geography. He married a geography teacher from London in 1955. They had two sons, born in 1962 and 1964. After a spell in Solihull, in 1970 the family moved to Hull so he could take up a post at Hull College of Higher Education (now merged into the University of Lincoln). In Hull he was active in Labour politics.
He retired from teaching in 1988 and was briefly a parliamentary researcher for MP Joan Ruddock. He was MEP for the Humberside constituency from 1989 until he stood down at the 1999 election.
- Who's Who 2008: London, A & C Black ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- Dod, Charles Roger; Dod, Robert Phipps (20 September 1998). "Dod's Parliamentary Companion". Dod's Parliamentary Companion, Limited – via Google Books.
- Gray, Sadie. The Times http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/men/article2817512.ece. Missing or empty
- Gray, Sadie. The Times http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/article789132.ece. Missing or empty
- Gray, Sadie. The Times http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/men/article2899796.ece. Missing or empty
- Gray, Sadie. The Times http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/article628203.ece. Missing or empty
- Gray, Sadie. The Times http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article6973247.ece. Missing or empty
- "Tributes to politician who had 'passion for peace and social justice'". Hull Daily Mail. 15 July 2011. Archived from the original on 16 June 2012. Retrieved 24 May 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "University Library - University of Hull". www.hull.ac.uk.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 March 2009. Retrieved 21 March 2010.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Labour Euro-MPs join fight over Clause Four". HeraldScotland.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 12 January 2010. Retrieved 20 March 2010. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Gray, Sadie. The Times http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/men/article2567339.ece. Missing or empty
- results, search (1 September 1979). Christianity in Northern Nigeria. Geoffrey Chapman. ASIN 0225662558.
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Humberside
1989 – 1999 election
(see Yorkshire and the Humber)