Peter B. Teets
|13th Director of the National Reconnaissance Office|
December, 2001 – March, 2005
|President||George W. Bush|
|Preceded by||Keith R. Hall|
|Succeeded by||Donald Kerr|
|Born||February 12, 1942|
|Spouse(s)||Vivian Brearley Teets|
Mr. Teets engineered the formation of a comprehensive national security space enterprise, laying the groundwork for integration of open and classified space activities in support of national security objectives. He commissioned panels on space acquisition policies and space launch initiatives. He greatly improved the acquisition, operation, and effectiveness of national security space capabilities.
1963 Bachelor of science degree in applied mathematics, University of Colorado, Boulder
1965 Master of science degree in applied mathematics, University of Colorado, Denver
1978 Master of science degree in management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge
1. 1963-1970, engineer for flight control analysis, Martin Marietta, Denver, Colo.
2. 1970-1975, manager, Titan IIIC inertial guidance system, Martin Marietta, Denver, Colo.
3. 1975-1980, Program Manager, Transtage Project, and Director of Space Systems, Martin Marietta, Denver, Colo.
4. 1980-1982, Vice President of Business Development, Martin Marietta Denver Aerospace, Denver, Colo.
5. 1982-1985, Vice President and General Manager, Aerospace Strategic and Launch Systems Division, Martin Marietta Denver Aerospace, Denver, Colo.
6. 1985-1993, President, Martin Marietta Denver Aerospace, Denver, Colo.
7. 1993-1995, President, Martin Marietta Space Group, Bethesda, Md.
8. 1995-1997, President and Chief Operating Officer, Lockheed Martin Information and Services Sector, Bethesda, Md.
9. 1997-1999, President and Chief Operating Officer, Lockheed Martin Corp., Bethesda, Md.
10. 2001-2005, Undersecretary of the Air Force, Washington, D.C.
11. 2005-, Board of Trustees, The Aerospace Corporation, El Segundo, Ca.
Awards and honors
1990 Honorary Doctor of Science Degree, University of Colorado
2004 W. Stuart Symington Award (for most significant contribution by a civilian for national defense)
2009 Gen. James E. Hill Lifetime Space Achievement Award
Wernher von Braun Space Flight Trophy
Bob Hope Distinguished Citizen Award
On 7 October 2016, Teets will be inducted into the Colorado Space Hall of Fame.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
Fellow, American Astronautical Society
National Academy of Engineering
- NOMINATIONS BEFORE THE SENATE ARMED SERVICES COMMITTEE, FIRST SESSION, 107TH CONGRESS
- Marquis Who's Who on the Web
- National Reconnaissance Office: Peter B. Teets official biography Archived 2009-08-13 at the Wayback Machine
- Peter B. Teets biography "The Aerospace Corporation Announces Election of Peter B. Teets to Board"
- Brevard Business News. "Foundation names honoree for Colorado Space Hall of Fame, event set for Oct. 7", vol. 34, no. 34, (Melbourne, Florida: 22 August 2016), p. 7
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Peter B. Teets.|
Carol A. DiBattiste
Lawrence B. Delaney (acting)
| United States Under Secretary of the Air Force
2001 – 2005
Ronald M. Sega