|United States Senator|
March 4, 1837 – March 3, 1843
|Preceded by||Gideon Tomlinson|
|Succeeded by||John Milton Niles|
|Member of the Connecticut House of Representatives|
|Born||May 12, 1783|
|Died||June 8, 1852 (aged 69)|
New Milford, Connecticut
|Spouse(s)||Anne Comstock Smith|
|Alma mater||Litchfield Law School|
Smith was born in Woodbury, Litchfield County, Connecticut, on May 12, 1783, the son of John and Abigail (Lambert) Smith. He completed preparatory studies; studied law at the Litchfield Law School in 1807; was admitted to the bar and commenced the practice of law in New Milford. He married Anne Comstock who died on February 26, 1826.
A member of Connecticut House of Representatives from New Milford from 1822 to 1823, Smith was made postmaster of New Milford and held that post from 1829 to 1837. He was again a state representative from 1835 to 1836, as well as judge of probate court from 1833 to 1835.
Elected as a Democrat to the United States Senate from Connecticut, Smith served from March 4, 1837 to March 3, 1843. He was chairman of the Committee on Agriculture (Twenty-fifth Congress); and was a member of the Committee on Revolutionary Claims (Twenty-sixth Congress).
Smith died in New Milford on June 8, 1852 (age 69 years, 27 days). He is interred at New Milford Center Cemetery, New Milford, Connecticut,.
- "Perry Smith". Litchfield Historical Society. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- Perry Smith. Connecticut Biographical Dictionary. January 2008. ISBN 9781878592590. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "Perry Smith". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "Perry Smith". Govtrack US Congress. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "Perry Smith". The Political Graveyard. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- United States Congress. "Perry Smith (id: S0006000)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- Perry Smith at Find a Grave
| U.S. senator (Class 3) from Connecticut
Served alongside: John M. Niles, Thaddeus Betts, Jabez W. Huntington
John M. Niles