Penn Valley Airport
|Owner||Penn Valley Airport Authority|
|Elevation AMSL||463 ft / 141 m|
Penn Valley Airport (IATA: SEG, ICAO: KSEG, FAA LID: SEG) is a public airport a mile north of Selinsgrove, a borough in Snyder County, Pennsylvania. It is owned by the Penn Valley Airport Authority. The National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2011–2015 categorized it as a general aviation facility.
Facilities and aircraft
In the year ending March 7, 2012 the airport had 28,000 aircraft operations, average 76 per day: 87% general aviation, 12% air taxi, and 1% military. 30 aircraft were then based at the airport: 67% single-engine, 13% ultralight, 10% multi-engine, 7% jet, and 3% helicopter.
Accidents and incidents
- On August 23, 1987 a Piper PA-23-160 registered N4003P with three on-board crashed on takeoff killing all those aboard. The pilot and owner of the aircraft Karl Kovacs was taking two others on a scenic flight of the Susquehanna Valley. However the aircraft was overweight and in low ceilings and fog, Kovacs struggled to gain altitude and was in a high pitch angle and stalled at approximately 750 feet. The cause was determined to be pilot error and gross overload of the Piper.
- On October 4, 2013 a Piper PA-22 crashed on the runway during an attempted takeoff. Two people were seriously injured, National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration investigated stating the cause was the "pilots failure to perform pre-flight check elevator trim would have shown the aircraft wasn't airworthy."
- FAA Airport Master Record for SEG ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective May 31, 2012.
- "IATA Airport Code Search (SEG: Selinsgrove / Penn Valley)". International Air Transport Association. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
- "2011–2015 NPIAS Report, Appendix A" (PDF, 2.03 MB). National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems. Federal Aviation Administration. October 4, 2010. External link in
- "Piper PA-23 incident in Selinsgrove, PA - NTSB/FAA". ntsb.gov.
- Ranter, Harro. "Accident Piper PA-23-160 N4003P, 28 Aug 1987". aviation-safety.net. Retrieved 2019-02-24.
- "ERA14LA015". www.ntsb.gov. Retrieved 2019-02-24.
- Penn Valley Airport at Pennsylvania DOT Bureau of Aviation
- Heritage Aviation, the fixed-base operator (FBO)
- Aerial image as of April 1999 from USGS The National Map
- FAA Terminal Procedures for SEG, effective December 5, 2019
- Resources for this airport: