Shyre adapted to the stage, directed and co-produced the Sean O'Casey novels, Pictures in the Hallway, I Knock at the Door and Drums Under the Windows. He also wrote and directed A Whitman Portrait and An Unpleasant Evening With H.L. Mencken.
- 1957 Drama Desk Award for Pictures in the Hallway
- 1957 Obie Award, special citation for bringing O'Casey to Off-Broadway; for his adaptations of I Knock at the Door, Pictures in the Hallway, and USA
- 1957 Special Tony Award
- 1987 New York Emmy Award shared with Robert H. Rines for the television and later Broadway play Hizzoner! about Mayor Fiorello La Guardia.
- Haymer, Johnny (21 November 1989) The Washington Post page B-7
- Mikulan, Steven (27 January 2006) "Let's Put On a Banned Show" LA Weekly page 68
- Flint, Peter B. (20 November 1989) "Paul Shyre, 63, Director, Actor And O'Casey Adapter, Is Dead" The New York Times page D-11
- Staff (5 November 2007) "New Globe Revives Paul Shyre's Plays in Rep Nov.24-Dec.23 2007/11/05" Broadway World News Desk
- "New York Obies Theater Awards - 1957"
|This article about an American playwright is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|