Mitchell was born on 17 March 1930 and educated at Eton, Merton College, Oxford., and Wells Theological College. Ordained in 1955  he began his ecclesiastical career with a Curacy at St. Mark's Church, Mansfield following which he was Priest-Vicar of Wells Cathedral.
Mitchell would go on to hold incumbencies in Milton, Portsmouth and Frome Selwood, Somerset before being appointed Dean of Wells in 1973, a position he held for 16 years; during his deanship he oversaw a major restoration of the cathedral. In 1981 he was appointed to the Cathedrals Advisory Commission for England. In 1989 he became Dean of Windsor until his retirement eight years later, when he was appointed KCVO.
He died in January 2020 at the age of 89.
- Burke’s peerage
- Who's Who 2008: London, A & C Black ISBN 978-0-7136-8555-8
- Levens, R.G.C., ed. (1964). Merton College Register 1900-1964. Oxford: Basil Blackwell. p. 406.
- Crockford's Clerical Directory2008/2009 Lambeth, Church House Publishing ISBN 978-0-7151-1030-0
- Church web-site
- Debrett's People of Today: Ed Ellis,P (1992, London, Debrett's) ISBN 1-870520-09-2)
- The Very Reverend Patrick Mitchell, popular Dean of Wells and then of Windsor who was a trusted adviser to the Queen on Church affairs – obituary
|Church of England titles|
Irven David Edwards
| Dean of Wells
Michael Ashley Mann
| Dean of Windsor