This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Art by George Pérez
|First appearance||Crisis on Infinite Earths #1 (April 1985)|
|Created by||Marv Wolfman (writer) |
George Pérez (artist)
|Alter ego||Kell Mossa Arrowverse)|
|Team affiliations||Black Lantern Corps|
|Abilities||Brilliant scientist with vast intellect|
teleportation to the focal point of any catastrophic event
Pariah is a fictional character in stories published by DC Comics. A scientist, he first appeared in the limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths #1 (April 1985) and was created by Marv Wolfman and George Pérez.
In the 1985 12-issue comic book limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths, Pariah (real name Kell Mossa) was one of the greatest scientists from his version of Earth (retconned as an alternate dimension rather than a parallel Earth). Pariah's unorthodox experiments to view the creation of the Universe result in the Anti-Monitor learning of his Earth's existence and destruction with waves of anti-matter. He survived through the intervention of the benevolent counterpart known as the Monitor, and acquired the ability to travel from one alternate Earth to another, forced to witness untold millions perish.
During the Crisis, Lady Quark is saved by Pariah before the anti-matter destroys Lady Quark's universe, making the woman into the lone survivor of Earth-6. Pariah blames himself for his own world's destruction, the Anti-Monitor's release, and the subsequent destruction of universe after universe, until he finally learns he was essentially blameless.
Pariah is told by the Anti-Monitor that his scientific investigation did not unleash forces great enough to destroy a universe. Pariah merely opened the antimatter portal to the dawn of time. Taking advantage of Pariah's experiment, the Anti-Monitor converted antimatter into energy, then focused it onto Pariah's universe. Those worlds' destruction allowed the gathering of more energy, which then made the Anti-Monitor strong enough to break free of the prison.
After the Anti-Monitor's destruction, the reformed Earth is safe. Pariah and Lady Quark ask the Harbinger to join in exploring the new Earth. The Harbinger agrees to accompany the two on their journey. As the three disembark, the Harbinger tells the two of being hopeful of the future and what it might bring.
Pariah is seemingly indestructible and immortal. He displays few additional superhuman physical capabilities otherwise, except flight. He considers the powers he has a curse, dooming him to witness horrors he cannot stop.
Many years later, Pariah attempts to warn Lex Luthor that a dangerous predator is coming; "Lex" is in actuality Alexander Luthor of Earth-3 in disguise in order to create a new Secret Society of Super Villains. Pariah is subsequently murdered by Alexander in Villains United mini-series. He is later resurrected by the Dark Angel.
As part of the Blackest Night event, Pariah's corpse is reanimated by a black power ring and recruited to the Black Lantern Corps. He interrupts a cadre of mystical heroes gathered to investigate the strange occurrences of the event. Pariah is seen again as the black rings restore the planet Xanshi.
Pariah can be seen inside a cell within "the Circus" prison of A.R.G.U.S.
In other media
- Cowsill, Alan; Irvine, Alex; Korte, Steve; Manning, Matt; Wiacek, Win; Wilson, Sven (2016). The DC Comics Encyclopedia: The Definitive Guide to the Characters of the DC Universe. DK Publishing. p. 227. ISBN 978-1-4654-5357-0.
- Wolfman, Marv; Pérez, George (2000). Crisis on Infinite Earths. DC Comics. p. 102. ISBN 1-56389-750-4.
- Wolfman, Marv; Pérez, George (2000). Crisis on Infinite Earths. DC Comics. p. 288. ISBN 1-56389-750-4.
- Wolfman, Marv; Pérez, George (2000). Crisis on Infinite Earths. DC Comics. p. 363. ISBN 1-56389-750-4.
- Villains United #6 (December 2005). DC Comics.
- Supergirl (vol. 5) #19 (September 2007). DC Comics.
- Blackest Night #2 (October 2009). DC Comics.
- Green Lantern #45. DC Comics.
- Justice League of America's Vibe #1
- Drum, Nicole (July 20, 2019). "Tom Cavanagh to Play Pariah in Crisis on Infinite Earths". Comicbook.com. Retrieved July 21, 2019.
- "'Crisis On Infinite Earths': First Look At Tom Cavanagh As Pariah". Heroic Hollywood. Retrieved October 10, 2019.
- Alvarez, Daniel (December 1, 2019). "New Crisis On Infinite Earths Teaser Shows Nash Wells Becoming Pariah". Screenrant.
- Pariah at DC Comics Wiki