The term "Paramilitary force" in India has not been defined in any acts or by authorities officially.
- Assam Rifles (AR) - 63,747 personnel (led by Indian Army officers and AR cadre officer reporting to the Ministry of Home Affairs)
- Border Security Force (BSF) - 257,363 personnel
- Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) - 144,418 personnel
- Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) - 313,678 personnel
- Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) - 89,432 personnel
- National Security Guard (NSG) - 7,350 personnel
- Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) - 76,337 personnel
- "Office Memorandum" (PDF). MHA. MHA, GoI. Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 January 2016. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- "For the paramilitary, all's in a new name". www.telegraphindia.com.
- "MHA Annual Report 2016-2017" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 8 August 2017. Retrieved 12 August 2017.