This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
PC migration is the process of transferring the entire user environment (e.g. personal documents and settings) between two computer systems. The migration problem is often associated with the concept of total cost of ownership where the requirement to migrate information is considered a "cost" in purchasing a new PC, similar considerations exist for businesses upgrading hardware/software.
PC migration is required whenever one needs to move to a new computer (i.e. purchasing new hardware), or upgrade to a new OS. Because of intrinsic differences and strong OS-hardware coupling, PC migration is considered to be a problem for both consumers and enterprises.
Important sources for PC migration software include EASEUS, Laplink, and Tranxition.
- Staff (1981–2012). "Definition of: PC migration". PCMag.com. Ziff Davis, Inc. Retrieved 29 May 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Eric Krangel (12 February 2009). "Microsoft Terrified Companies Won't Upgrade To Windows 7". Business Insider SAI. Business Insider, Inc. Retrieved 29 May 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Rick Broida (21 October 2009). "Migrate to Windows 7--Slowly". PCWorld. PCWorld Communications, Inc. Retrieved 29 May 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- JamesHolder; Jeff Schertz (6 August 2008). "Computer Migration problem". Microsoft Exchange Server TechCenter. Microsoft. Retrieved 29 May 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Reviewers, Top 10 (July 2015). " "PC Migration Software Review 2015 – Reviews and comparisons". Top Ten. Retrieved August 2015. Check date values in:
|accessdate=(help)CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Breeden, John (Aug 27, 2013). "Life after XP: Zinstall helps tame migration monsters". Government Computing News. Retrieved July 6, 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Move your files, folders, and more" | url=https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/transfer-your-data
- "Windows Easy Transfer is not available in Windows 10"|url=http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-easy-transfer-is-not-available-in-windows-10%7C publisher="Microsoft"