|Directed by||Cindy Chupack|
Whatever Makes You Happy
|Music by||Marcelo Zarvos|
Otherhood is a 2019 American comedy film, directed by Cindy Chupack, from a screenplay by Chupack and Mark Andrus. It is based upon the novel Whatever Makes You Happy by William Sutcliffe, and follows three suburban mothers who show up to the New York City homes of their sons unannounced. It stars Patricia Arquette, Angela Bassett, Felicity Huffman, Jake Hoffman, Sinqua Walls, and Jake Lacy.
The film had its world premiere at 51Fest on July 21, 2019. It was released on August 2, 2019, by Netflix. The film received generally mixed to negative reviews, although Huffman's performance was critically praised.
- Angela Bassett as Carol Walker
- Patricia Arquette as Gillian Lieberman
- Felicity Huffman as Helen Halston
- Jake Hoffman as Daniel Lieberman
- Jake Lacy as Paul Halston-Myers
- Sinqua Walls as Matt Walker
- Heidi Gardner as Erin
- Stephen Kunken as Joel Lieberman
- Damian Young as Frank
- Afton Williamson as Julia
- Frank De Julio as Andre
- Becki Newton as Andrea
- Mario Cantone as Calvin
- Emily Tremaine as Lauren Lieberman
- Molly Bernard as Alison
- Tim Bagley as Miles
In April 2018, Patricia Arquette and Angela Bassett joined the cast of the film, with Cindy Chupack directing the film, from a screenplay written by Chupack and Mark Andrus, based upon the novel Whatever Makes You Happy by William Sutcliffe. Jason Michael Berman and Cathy Schulman will produce the film, under their Mandalay Pictures and Welles Entertainment banners, respectively. Arquette and Bassett will executive produce the film. Netflix will distribute. In May 2018, Sinqua Walls joined the cast of the film. In June 2018, Felicity Huffman, Jake Lacy and Jake Hoffman joined the cast.
It had its world premiere at 51Fest on July 21, 2019. The film was originally scheduled to have been released on April 26, 2019. However, because of Felicity Huffman's involvement in the 2019 college admissions bribery scandal, the release date was postponed to August 2, 2019. On October 17, 2019, Netflix announced that the film had been viewed by over 29 million viewers after its release on their platform.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 29% based on 14 reviews, and an average rating of 3.83/10. On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 37 out of 100, based on 5 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".
- "Otherhood". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved July 6, 2019.
- Galuppo, Mia (April 16, 2018). "Patricia Arquette, Angela Bassett in Talks for Netflix Comedy 'Otherhood'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 11, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (May 25, 2018). "Sinqua Walls Cast In 'Otherhood'; Madelyn Cline Boards 'Once Upon A Time In Staten Island'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 11, 2018.
- Felicity Huffman Joins Angela Bassett And Patricia Arquette In ‘Otherhood’ At Netflix
- Busch, Anita; Fleming Jr, Mike (April 16, 2018). "Patricia Arquette, Angela Bassett In Negotiations To Star In Netflix's Feature Comedy 'Otherhood'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 11, 2018.
- Lewis, Hilary (June 27, 2019). "Harvey Weinstein Doc 'Untouchable,' Cindy Chupack's 'Otherhood' Set for Female-Focused 51Fest". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 6, 2019.
- "Otherhood". 51Fest. Retrieved July 6, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (April 9, 2019). "Felicity Huffman Netflix Pic 'Otherhood' To Stream In August Amid College Scandal – Update". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 9, 2019.
- Koblin, John (October 17, 2019). "Netflix's Top 10 Original Movies and TV Shows, According to Netflix". New York Times. Retrieved November 11, 2019.
- "Otherhood (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved August 11, 2019.
- "Otherhood 2019". Metacritic. CBS. Retrieved August 4, 2019.