This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Shimomura in 1953
|Died||November 27, 1989|
|Alma mater||University of Tokyo Tohoku University|
|Influences||John Maynard Keynes|
|Awards||Second Class Order of the Rising Sun|
Osamu Shimomura (下村 治 Shimomura Osamu, 1910 – November 27, 1989), born in Saga Prefecture, Kitagawa Village, was a Japanese economist considered to be the "father of the Japanese economic miracle".
Upon graduation from the Economics Faculty of Tokyo Imperial University in 1934, he joined the Economic Stabilization Board of Japan until his retirement in 1959. In 1956, he received his Ph.D. in economics from Tohoku University with the doctoral thesis "Multiplier analysis of economic fluctuations." From 1960 to 1966, he served as Director of the National Kimono Fund Corporation , Japan Development Bank Director, and Chairman of the Japanese Economic Research Institute. He played a central role in the economic planning of the Hayato Ikeda cabinet in the early 1960s and structured the mechanism of high economic growth in Japan. In 1981, he received the Second Class Order of the Rising Sun. Dr. Shimomura died in 1989.
- 1952 Economic Fluctuation and Multiplier Analysis (Keizai Hendo no Jyosu Bunseki)
- 1958 Achieving Economic Growth (Keizai Seicho Jitsugen no Tame ni)
- 1961 Basic Problems of Growth Policy (Seicho Seisaku No Kihon Mondai)
- 1962 A Theory of Japanese Economic Growth (Nippon Keizai Seichoron)
- 1963 The Japanese Economy Will Grow (Nippon Keizai wa Seicho suru)
- 1971 Japan's Choices as a Major Economic Power (Keizaitaikoku Nippon no Sentaku)
- 1976 Conditions for Escaping from Zero Growth (Zero Seicho Dasshutsu no Jyoken)
- 1981 Discipline and the Japanese Economy (Nippon Keizai no Setsudo)
- 1987 Japan Is Not at Fault (Nippon wa Warukunai)
- "The Master Economist Dr Osamu Shimomura - Probably the Greatest Economist of the 20th Century After John Maynard Keynes". London Progressive Journal.
- "Dr. Osamu Shimomura's Legacy and the Postwar Japanese Economy - Kozo Horiuchi - Springer".
- "Shimomura Fellowship - RICF - DBJ". www.dbj.jp.
- Economics, Rethinking (6 May 2014). "Rethinking Economics Blog: Shimomuran Economics and the Rise of Japan and China".
- Service, Ichiro Hirose, chief editorial writer for Tokyo Shimbun, from which this article was translated by The Asia Foundation`s Translation. "AMERICA-BASHING IN JAPAN".