|Olympia High School|
4301 South Apopka-Vineland Road
|Motto||Where Our Core Business is Teaching and Learning|
|School district||Orange County Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Black, silver, and teal|
|Rival||Dr. Phillips High School (Panthers)|
Olympia High School is a Silver Medalist on the US News & World Reports national ranking of high schools. Olympia is ranked 589 in the National Rankings and 48th within Florida. Students have the opportunity to take Advanced Placement® course work and exams. The AP® participation rate at Olympia High is 69 percent. The student body makeup is 51 percent male and 49 percent female. The college readiness index is 53.3, with over 70% passing final AP Exams.[when?]
The Advanced Placement Experience Scholars Academy (APEX) at Olympia High School offers a rigorous, comprehensive four-year curriculum filled with Advanced Placement courses to a select group of academically talented students. Students are selected at the end of the eighth grade. Selection is based on student application, teacher recommendation, and standardized testing. This application process must be completed prior to July 1. Required APEX courses are designed to help students reach their academic goals, to facilitate interdisciplinary learning, and to encourage a cohort approach. With these requirements, students are still able to exercise considerable freedom to emphasize course work of their own choosing.
DREAM, Determined to Reach Every Accomplishment with Motivation, is a program designed for students to meet the requirements for admission to four-year colleges and universities, focusing on students in the academic middle. Students enroll in college preparatory classes and an elective DREAM class where they are taught study skills such as note taking and time management. Students apply to this four-year program at the end of their eighth grade year.
The DREAM program's predecessor was AVID, Advancement Via Individual Determination.
- Chris Johnson, former NFL running back
- Brad Miller, Philadelphia Phillies infielder
- Sherwood Brown, professional basketball player, member of Florida Gulf Coast team that reached the 2013 Sweet Sixteen
- Nick Gordon, Minnesota Twins shortstop
- Michael Lockley, professional football player
- Trevor Siemian, New York Jets quarterback
- Deondre Francois, quarterback
- Jesse Winker, professional baseball player Cincinnati Reds
Notes and references
- "Olympia High School Zone Archived 2017-04-21 at the Wayback Machine." Orange County Public Schools Department of Pupil Assignment. February 11, 2016. Retrieved on April 21, 2017.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Gotha CDP, FL." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on April 22, 2017.
- "Zoning Map." Town of Windermere. Retrieved on April 21, 2017.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP (INDEX): Lake Butler CDP, FL." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on April 21, 2017. Page 1, Page 2.
- "DREAM Academy (Grades 9-12)" (PDF). olympiahs.ocps.net. Olympia High School. Retrieved 17 January 2018.